Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the Mach E will be a Tesla Model Y competitor?
Or more of a Model X competitor. The X is pretty huge and expensive.

The Model Y gets a 280 mile range and 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Does anyone know the price of the Model Y yet? I think the best guess Ive seen is around $48,000. Although you won't get that range or speed for $48k.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On Telsa's website they distinguish how much the Model Y will cost with and without incentives/gas savings.

Tesla Model Y RWD Long Range - $48,000 purchase price and $43,700 with incentives
Tesla Model Y AWD Long Range - $52,000 purchase price and $47,700 with incentives
Tesla Model Y AWD Performance - $61,000 purchase price and $56,800 with incentives

So with that being said, if Ford is able to keep the Mach E's starting price at around $40,000 without factoring in incentives, it'll have a big advantage on the Model Y.

I don't see the Mach E as a Model X competitor, they're too different in size and price. Who knows Ford probably has a plan to build a larger electric SUV like the Model X.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So based on last night's leaks, I am curious what people think about the Mach E compared to the Model Y.

One thing that is kind of disappointing is there is no mid-level performance tier. The Model Y's Long Range AWD model has a 4.8 0-60 (not sure if this takes into account recent software updates which supposedly improve by performance about 5%) and a 280 mile range, compared to the Mach E First Edition that is essentially $52,400 (after tax credit) and has a 5.5 0-60 and a 270 mile range. I know there are other factors in play, but just interesting to see initial numbers in play.

However, comparing the GT Mach E to the Performance Model Y makes it a little more interesting. The Mach E GT has a 3.5 0-60 and a 235-250 mile range for $53k (after tax credit) while the performance Model Y has a 3.5 0-60 and a 280 mile range for $61k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do we have a sense of whether the Mach-E will have a third row option like the Tesla Model Y? The video of the 5 adults in the test vehicle made it look pretty snug in terms of cabin space, and I can't see how you'd get a third row in with the rake of that hatch. Maybe the better comparison is with the Tesla Model 3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
True, though Ford will reach the 200k production limit to begin the federal tax credit phase-out in less than 85,000 additional EV sales. So maybe early 2021 if the Mach-E is popular on launch? After that, the Mach-E starts to look pretty expensive for what it offers...

·
Registered
60 Posts
True, though Ford will reach the 200k production limit to begin the federal tax credit phase-out in less than 85,000 additional EV sales. So maybe early 2021 if the Mach-E is popular on launch? After that, the Mach-E starts to look pretty expensive for what it offers...
I think the only cheaper route might be with a cheaper electric vehicle that sits under the Mach-E.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did anyone catch any towing capacity for the Mach E?

M

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm actively looking for Mach-E towing capacity information to no avail so far.
Have a small boat I tow up to the cottage and back quite a few times when cool-to-warm conditions hit and old man winter goes away. So its a must. I'll keep you posted.

For now I expect it to be within range of the Model Y:
"Since it's an SUV, there may be modest trailer-tow capabilities, possibly 1,500 pounds or 2,000 pounds (Class 1), maybe 3,500 pounds (Class 3). A handful of compact SUVs can tow 3,500 or even 4,000 pounds."

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you log onto the UK Ford website the towing capacity of the Ford Mach E is listed as 750kg (about 1600lbs). The Tesla Model 3 in the UK has a towing capacity of 910kg (about 2000lbs). Wonder what the Tesla Model Y will come in as?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm actively looking for Mach-E towing capacity information to no avail so far.
Have a small boat I tow up to the cottage and back quite a few times when cool-to-warm conditions hit and old man winter goes away. So its a must. I'll keep you posted.

For now I expect it to be within range of the Model Y:
"Since it's an SUV, there may be modest trailer-tow capabilities, possibly 1,500 pounds or 2,000 pounds (Class 1), maybe 3,500 pounds (Class 3). A handful of compact SUVs can tow 3,500 or even 4,000 pounds."
Tow 13 ft Boston Whaler with my Bolt , starting 3rd year of faithful flawless service.
Whatever Ford specs end up stating the Mach E could also work for small tows. Not so much about the drive system as it is the hitch attachment point and tongue weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts