1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA Emissions Certifications Don't Look Promising

By: Steven Loveday
This new information is based on EPA Emissions Certifications for extended-range Mustang Mach-E crossovers.
As we get closer to a new vehicle's launch, we search for EPA data. However, oftentimes we don't get official range figures for upcoming EVs right away. Interestingly, all cars, even zero-emission vehicles, have an emissions certification that's posted by the EPA. It doesn't tell all about a car's eventual EPA rating, but it helps provide some early insight.

A member of the Mach-E Forum recently discovered the EPA certification for the extended-range Ford Mustang Mach-E models. Information on the documents includes details for the extended-range all-wheel-drive and extended-range rear-wheel-drive all-electric Ford crossover SUVs.

It's important to note that the data on the certification is "unadjusted city/UDDS and highway/HWFET." While UDDS stands for Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, HWFET specifics Highway Fuel Economy Test. The member had to do some quick calculations to figure out what the Mach-E's official EPA range might be.

For the AWD Extended-Range Mach-E, the unadjusted city range is 371.5 miles and the unadjusted highway range is 338.9 miles. This makes for an adjusted combined rating of 356.8 miles. Once the numbers are adjusted, it looks like the combined range will be 249.8 miles, which is a bit below the 270-miles range that Ford is expecting.

The unadjusted combined range for the RWD extended-range Mach-E put it at 411.5 miles of range. The same adjustments suggest an adjusted EPA combined range of 288 miles.

We've embedded that EPA emissions certification documents below:

Follow the link at the bottom of the page for more detailed information about the math as well as related links supporting it. Check it all out and then provide us with your wisdom in the comment section below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
So much for that 300-mile estimate from Ford. 288 at max is a bit discouraging. At least charging networks are expanding.
Does anyone see this lower range as a problem big enough to consider something else?

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,376 Posts

Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA Emissions Certifications Don't Look Promising

By: Steven Loveday
This new information is based on EPA Emissions Certifications for extended-range Mustang Mach-E crossovers.
As we get closer to a new vehicle's launch, we search for EPA data. However, oftentimes we don't get official range figures for upcoming EVs right away. Interestingly, all cars, even zero-emission vehicles, have an emissions certification that's posted by the EPA. It doesn't tell all about a car's eventual EPA rating, but it helps provide some early insight.

A member of the Mach-E Forum recently discovered the EPA certification for the extended-range Ford Mustang Mach-E models. Information on the documents includes details for the extended-range all-wheel-drive and extended-range rear-wheel-drive all-electric Ford crossover SUVs.

It's important to note that the data on the certification is "unadjusted city/UDDS and highway/HWFET." While UDDS stands for Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, HWFET specifics Highway Fuel Economy Test. The member had to do some quick calculations to figure out what the Mach-E's official EPA range might be.

For the AWD Extended-Range Mach-E, the unadjusted city range is 371.5 miles and the unadjusted highway range is 338.9 miles. This makes for an adjusted combined rating of 356.8 miles. Once the numbers are adjusted, it looks like the combined range will be 249.8 miles, which is a bit below the 270-miles range that Ford is expecting.

The unadjusted combined range for the RWD extended-range Mach-E put it at 411.5 miles of range. The same adjustments suggest an adjusted EPA combined range of 288 miles.

We've embedded that EPA emissions certification documents below:
View attachment 2994

View attachment 2995

View attachment 2996

View attachment 2997

Follow the link at the bottom of the page for more detailed information about the math as well as related links supporting it. Check it all out and then provide us with your wisdom in the comment section below.
Interesting however my bet stays on Ford. My hunch is that after all of the time spent on testing the preproduction models they have a good feel for the real world range.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,948 Posts
So much for that 300-mile estimate from Ford. 288 at max is a bit discouraging. At least charging networks are expanding.
Does anyone see this lower range as a problem big enough to consider something else?
I for one: I have ordered a FE, so the range, according to this post is, 250 miles. At speed and in the winter, that will drop to below 200 miles, probably in the range of 180/190 - 30% less.

If the range is 250 miles and if no lease makes the MME a non-starter for me.

I live on Long Island. If I do not take the FE, rapid red, and someone is interested private message me.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E
112 Posts
It was already low compare to the competition, now it's even lower. I don't know what to think since Ford told us from the start that is going to be better than estimated. Not that the range is a problem but there is cheaper alternative out there that perform better for cheaper. Have to see if i'm willing to pay 15k more for 100km less range.

Reactions: JTK44

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
This is a measurement taken from a first test and not necessarily anything like the final number. Everyone keep your pants on.
I agree. I can’t see how the combined ER/AWD test range of 357 is dropped to 250 miles range. 70% variable for EPA number seems too much like a swag.
I’ll just wait for the official information to come out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered an extended range RWD in Canada. My order has a clause that I do not have to take the car is the official EPA range is less than 275 highway miles. I am still hoping the official EPA will meet that. If I use the ratio from this article of highway/combined of 0.949 for the AWD and apply it to the RWD combined range of 288, I get a highway range of 273.
I remain hopeful that the official EPA range will be better, keeping in mind that the test dates for these measurement was July 29.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I ordered an extended range RWD in Canada. My order has a clause that I do not have to take the car is the official EPA range is less than 275 highway miles. I am still hoping the official EPA will meet that. If I use the ratio from this article of highway/combined of 0.949 for the AWD and apply it to the RWD combined range of 288, I get a highway range of 273.
I remain hopeful that the official EPA range will be better, keeping in mind that the test dates for these measurement was July 29.
I think all orders are subject to:

• Inspection by the buyer
  • Test drive by the buyer
  • Financing available
In other words the $500 deposit with my dealer is refundable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree, my deposit ($2,000) is marked as refundable. However, I have to make a decision as to what range is not acceptable to me.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I agree, my deposit ($2,000) is marked as refundable. However, I have to make a decision as to what range is not acceptable to me.
Got it:

For me the most important thing is whether there is a lease or not.

Assuming there is a lease then:

• How does the car drive?
  • How far is the range?
  • How comfortable and how well put together and the overall feeling of the interior? The FE is nearly $60,000 and I certainly expect something more luxurious than a Ford Escape!

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
120 Posts
I agree. I can’t see how the combined ER/AWD test range of 357 is dropped to 250 miles range. 70% variable for EPA number seems too much like a swag.
I’ll just wait for the official information to come out.
My understanding is that you use 70% if you only do the 2-cycle test, but if you do the full 5-cycle test you use actual results from all five tests instead. This appears to be a 2-cycle result Ford tested themselves and are submitting to the regulator, but by no means a final result, obviously.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What really matters is how far can MY Mach-E (Premium, Extended Battery AWD) travel in the winter and the summer.
What good is it to me if the official final range is tweaked so that it hits 270 miles. If I get only 249.8 miles in optimal conditions, then this is no different than buying a gas powered car and not coming close to the EPA numbers. There have been lawsuits over this. Since Ford reads these forums, this is also for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What really matters is how far can MY Mach-E (Premium, Extended Battery AWD) travel in the winter and the summer.
What good is it to me if the official final range is tweaked so that it hits 270 miles. If I get only 249.8 miles in optimal conditions, then this is no different than buying a gas powered car and not coming close to the EPA numbers. There have been lawsuits over this. Since Ford reads these forums, this is also for you.
Honestly I was banking on 270 being deliberately conservative so they could "beat" it and get 290-300. 270 alone was an extremely tough sell... anything less and I'm probably out, honestly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is a measurement taken from a first test and not necessarily anything like the final number. Everyone keep your pants on.
It's a certified test submitted by Ford to the EPA and CARB for homologation. Ford wouldn't have had their legal team review and submit this if it wasn't close to final.

Ford keeps their "first tests" to themselves, I'm sure. They don't send drafts to EPA and CARB.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What good is it to me if the officfinal range is tweaked so that it hits 270 miles. If I get only 249.8 miles in optimal conditions, then this is no different than buying a gas powered car and not coming close to the EPA numbers. There have been lawsuits over this. If I am not supposed to charge the battery to no more than 80% on a regular basis, then the final range numbers should be multiplied by 80%. Imagine having a gas tank that Ford recommends to not use more than 80% of capacity due to lower level contaminants or whatever. The car’s range on a full tank would be 20% less. How upsetting would that be for the car owner once this was discovered after purchasing. Since Ford reads these forums, this is also for you.

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks, the article may be FUD. Good news tweet below:

Replying to @thegreentexan1
“Ford fully expects EPA-certified driving range estimates for the Mustang Mach-E will deliver the targets set. More to share later this month.
3:16 PM · Nov 9, 2020”
I'm not personally feeling relieved by that. Alternate headline for that tweet "Ford PR guy repeats Ford PR statement" - if it was an engineering manager that said that, I'd believe it. "Fully expects" is much different than "guarantees"

·
Registered
63 Posts
My understanding is that you use 70% if you only do the 2-cycle test, but if you do the full 5-cycle test you use actual results from all five tests instead. This appears to be a 2-cycle result Ford tested themselves and are submitting to the regulator, but by no means a final result, obviously.
What I cannot understand and need clarification on is this. If the next 3 cycle tests yield on average the same results as the first two cycles -- i.e., 330 plus miles, then why should we apply the .7 factor to the first two? Has there been empirical evidence in the past that yielded such drastic changes in the last 3 cycle test that it requires a .7 adjustment? It seems odd but it may be what it is.

That said, I am hopeful that there will be a positive correction as this would be disappointing given the outsized confidence Ford exhibited in their marketing that 230/270/300 were achievable. If doesn't bear out, I have to consider that with my needs along with the financing options.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts