Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that I didn't realize at first about the Mach-E is that it has facial recognition system that will be activated with an over-the-air update. It seems like it will be part of a "hands-free driving system."

There's a black pod mounted on top of the steering wheel that doesn't do anything at the moment, but houses a facial recognition system that will be activated in the future via an over-the-air update along with a hands-free driving system that will work on certain highways that have been 3D mapped for accuracy, similar to Cadillac's Super Cruise.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit concerned about this system. Not only about whether or not it will actually work, but what Ford ends up doing with all of that facial recognition data.

Is anyone else concerned or am I just overreacting?

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's too early to say for sure, but I'm thinking that the sensor bar mounted just behind the steering wheel is attempting to score your attentiveness. I don't think the goal is to recognize your face. But I could be wrong.

I don't know if the attentiveness data would ever be exfiltrated from the vehicle to Ford (or anyone else). It'd be nice to know how Ford prioritizes (via labor and cost) data protection and security versus other factors (safety, performance, etc) but as with every other steward of our info these days, I doubt we'll ever know.

I suppose though that if you wanted to, you could get a version of the vehicle without that sensor (for instance the Select trim), or disable the sensor like remove its fuse or tape over it or whatever.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's too early to say for sure, but I'm thinking that the sensor bar mounted just behind the steering wheel is attempting to score your attentiveness. I don't think the goal is to recognize your face. But I could be wrong.

I don't know if the attentiveness data would ever be exfiltrated from the vehicle to Ford (or anyone else). It'd be nice to know how Ford prioritizes (via labor and cost) data protection and security versus other factors (safety, performance, etc) but as with every other steward of our info these days, I doubt we'll ever know.

I suppose though that if you wanted to, you could get a version of the vehicle without that sensor (for instance the Select trim), or disable the sensor like remove its fuse or tape over it or whatever.
I think I'll be ok with it if Ford gives some indication, like you said, on how it deals with data security. But if not, hopefully there's a way to turn the system on and off when it's activated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts