Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some information about the Mach-E's ground clearance has come out thanks to Motor Trend.

For standard models the Mach-E has 5.7 inches between their lowest point and the ground. The Mach-E GT is lowered to 5.3 inches of ground clearance.

In comparison, a regular Mustang GT, has the exact same 5.7 inches of ground clearance while the standard Edge models have 8.0 inches of ground clearance, and the sport-tuned Edge ST has 8.2 inches. The Mach-E has a closer ride height to the U.K.-spec Ford Focus wagon, which has between 4.5 and 5.3 inches of clearance.

For a crossover it's pretty surprising that the Mach-E has the same amount of ground clearance as a Mustang. I guess it's because of the batteries at the bottom?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed. We will be using in the sierras with occasional heavy snow. I am hopeful an authorized lift kit becomes available.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's even lower when you look at the competition. The Tesla Model Y 6.6 inches of ground clearance and the Audi e-tron has 8.2 inches of ground clearance.

Needless to say, I don't think Ford's expecting anyone to take the Mach-E off-roading.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
316 Posts
My iPhone 11 Pro is smaller but at 5.85" it too is taller. That's even lower than my Nissan Leaf (6.3").

Nice MachDrive. I hadn't realized how low it is. That really puts it into perspective.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am surprised to learn the Mach-E's ground clearance is this low actually.

I was reading Autoblog a few days ago and they published a Jaguar I-Pace off-road test that was intriguing. 2020 Jaguar I-Pace Road Test | Off-road, AWD, air suspension, off-roading Apparently, the I-Pace can handle light trails pretty well. As a competitor to the I-Pace, I figured the Mach-E would probably perform similarly.

But the specs tell a different story. The I-Pace has 7.3 inches of ground clearance normally (almost like a Ford Edge), and then under 31 mph the air suspension can raise the vehicle to 9.5 inches of ground clearance.

I have no use for off-road capability, so this is all a moot point for my needs, but it looks like if Ford wanted to expand the pool of buyers to include those looking to go off-road, something like an optional adjustable air suspension like the I-Pace would do it.

·
Registered
583 Posts

I was reading Autoblog a few days ago and they published a Jaguar I-Pace off-road test that was intriguing. 2020 Jaguar I-Pace Road Test | Off-road, AWD, air suspension, off-roading Apparently, the I-Pace can handle light trails pretty well. As a competitor to the I-Pace, I figured the Mach-E would probably perform similarly.

But the specs tell a different story. The I-Pace has 7.3 inches of ground clearance normally (almost like a Ford Edge), and then under 31 mph the air suspension can raise the vehicle to 9.5 inches of ground clearance.

I have no use for off-road capability, so this is all a moot point for my needs, but it looks like if Ford wanted to expand the pool of buyers to include those looking to go off-road, something like an optional adjustable air suspension like the I-Pace would do it.
I didn't realize the I-Pace could adjust the ride height by that much. It would work well for snow driving at the very least. I guess the ride height was something that Ford sacrificed so it could be the same as a Mustang coupe.

·
Registered
316 Posts
See original Mustang Mach E spec sheet issued last November. We'll have to see how much these change as we've already seen a few performance changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ground clearance appears to have fallen victim to the Mach-e's identity crisis between being an SUV vs a sports car. Looks like sports car won out on that one, unfortunately.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ground clearance appears to have fallen victim to the Mach-e's identity crisis between being an SUV vs a sports car. Looks like sports car won out on that one, unfortunately.
If Ford is reading this, and would like to print money for shareholders, here is my suggestion.

Offer a Mach-E FX4 package (marketed for off-road) something like the F-150 FX4 package.

Fit an adjustable air suspension or simply a fixed suspension with more clearance. Add some software like Hill Descent control and other gadgetry. Add some beefy fender flares that make it look cooler, add some skid plates, add some FX4 decals, and change the tires to something with more sidewall. Add $6k of mostly profit margin to the price, bolster the image of the Mach-E, sell more units, and help make the Mach-E more relevant to people in areas where going on unpaved trails or driving through heavy snow is more likely. I imagine this version of the Mach-E would be more popular among those working at Ford's HQ in Dearborn.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If Ford is reading this, and would like to print money for shareholders, here is my suggestion.

Offer a Mach-E FX4 package (marketed for off-road) something like the F-150 FX4 package.

Fit an adjustable air suspension or simply a fixed suspension with more clearance. Add some software like Hill Descent control and other gadgetry. Add some beefy fender flares that make it look cooler, add some skid plates, add some FX4 decals, and change the tires to something with more sidewall. Add $6k of mostly profit margin to the price, bolster the image of the Mach-E, sell more units, and help make the Mach-E more relevant to people in areas where going on unpaved trails or driving through heavy snow is more likely. I imagine this version of the Mach-E would be more popular among those working at Ford's HQ in Dearborn.
That's probably a future BEV, rather than a Mustang Mach-e. Maybe like an electric version of the new Bronco.

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
I like the way you think!

Given the profit potential of a simple off-road package for the Mach-E though, I think Ford would be smart to offer both.
The MMe is designed with on-road performance in mind, which is why i wished they called it a crossover instead of an SUV. There would be less off-road expectations then. That said, I’m sure some Mod-house will actually come out with a Baja version.

The Bronco looks like a super-fun off-roader. They spent a lot of time developing the Bronco and its suspension to specialize in that. I would love to see a BEV Bronco in the future. Aerodynamics be damned.

Me? I have no need for off-roading capabilities. I took my 2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 off-road once in the four years i had it. And that was just because i wanted to try it out, not because i had to.

Ground-clearance, on the other hand, is more crucial. Will the MMe be able to handle 6” of snow easily? Or will the drag make it a beached whale?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ground-clearance, on the other hand, is more crucial. Will the MMe be able to handle 6” of snow easily? Or will the drag make it a beached whale?
Same here. I won't go off-roading, but I will be driving it in snow sometimes.

Although really my biggest reason for wish it had more ground clearance is so that the driver seat sits higher. I hate a low seat. A higher seat is much easier to slide in and out of, and provides better (and safer) road visibility while driving.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Me? I have no need for off-roading capabilities. I took my 2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 off-road once in the four years i had it. And that was just because i wanted to try it out, not because i had to.
As for me, I need off-road capabilities, especially for hunting and whitewater kayaking. I’m not buying a Mustang for those needs.

I’m getting AWD for snow, ice, freezing rain, as those are (or at least were) issues here in MD. Even wet roads can be an issue with RWD (although not so much in a BEV) For that I’ll take a 7% range/efficiency penalty.

For off-roading I have my Tacoma. I’m just waiting for a BEV replacement for that and I’ll be happy. Come on eF-150 and R1T.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's probably a future BEV, rather than a Mustang Mach-e. Maybe like an electric version of the new Bronco.
Ford making an electric version of the Bronco as a proper off-roader would be perfect for blending the past and future. It would make sense since other companies are bringing back old names as EVs like the Hummer and VW Bus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts