Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think a summary to Wayne’s information might be, Think about driving through a Chicago neighborhood after a snowstorm and all the cars parked on the streets, how’s that going to work for EVs? Those of us with garages are blessed and attached garages even more blessinged. Wayne, you have my respect,
yep a good summation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This car has been engineered for the people fortunate enough to have heated garages or that live in a warm year-round climate. I just got a 12 battery fault and found out that many owners also received the same warning. It is because my car is parked in a non-heated garage and I don't have a dedicated charger where it can stay plugged in. Now I have to go out in the cold to drive my car around to charge the battery from what the dealer told me. It has been below 20ºF here in Chicago for over a day. When I do drive the car I get about 1 mile/kWh that gives my car about 100 miles on a full charge.

Everything is written and geared to the garage owners and personal charging stations. If you don't have this, I would not suggest buying the car unless you are willing to have a fair-weather car.
Strange. I get 2.0-2.2 mile/kwhr in my GT at 70 mph in below freezing weather. Heater works fine

·
Registered
358 Posts
It turns out that it's not the heat pump but the vent flap being stuck open with snow or ice in some cases. The blast cold air triggers a malfunction notice and shuts down the pump. Sofware update will fix the error problem and the vent issue is being researched while recommending checking that the vent is clear. Blocked open was the extreme cold problem.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There was a charger in the public garage where I park my car but it stopped working and Chargepoint didn't fix it for over two month, and even now there is only one station on it working.
Chargers not working and no priority to get them fixed is a HUGE problem. Two months and no one gets a charger fixed. There can't be that many unique parts in this station. Who is going to inventory parts and see that these units are serviced on a regular basis? EV owners are right now a minority and the minority always have to fight for their rights. I don't see very many charge stations in Chicago near the lake front area. There are a few along the freeway. I see EA has a station at the Target on Larrabee St and some Whole foods have stations for customers. I visit my daughter in Chicago but hesitate to take my Mach E because of lack off charging infrastructure in the area. Yes, I can get there via EA stations on the freeway, but stations in metro area are sparse. The Hilton hotel in Skokie we stay at has 225 rooms, free car parking for guests, but NO ev charging amenities. I have corresponded with the hotel about adding ev charging, but so far no response. I say we keep pounding on owners of these facilities and local elected officials. I hope that included in the infrastructure is some provision to keep these ev stations operational. End of rant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This car has been engineered for the people fortunate enough to have heated garages or that live in a warm year-round climate. I just got a 12 battery fault and found out that many owners also received the same warning. It is because my car is parked in a non-heated garage and I don't have a dedicated charger where it can stay plugged in. Now I have to go out in the cold to drive my car around to charge the battery from what the dealer told me. It has been below 20ºF here in Chicago for over a day. When I do drive the car I get about 1 mile/kWh that gives my car about 100 miles on a full charge.

Everything is written and geared to the garage owners and personal charging stations. If you don't have this, I would not suggest buying the car unless you are willing to have a fair-weather car.
You bought an ev without a home charger...srly wow. Btw ice engine 12V can die fast in really cold weather even if the car is brand new (-15C to -20C).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I couldn't imagine buying an EV when I didn't have a guaranteed way to charge it at home. Seems you are knocking Ford because of a vehicle you do not have the home capabilities that the vehicle is inteded to have. The beauty from your position is the car is in very high demand, and you should not have any issue selling (probably without any loss) should you choose to go that route. Best of luck to you!
Even a 110v outlet would be enough to keep it conditioned in an unheated garage.
I remember using a 100 watt light bulb under the hood of my ICE car during really cold weather to give me a better chance at it starting.

·
Registered
27 Posts

IF Elon Musk ever gets motivated to provide an adapter for his DC fast charges for us... this may help you ? Help may be on the way ?! Best. RWJ1414

·
Registered
1 Posts
So you bought an EV with no way to charge it at home?
Even with a level 2 charger mach e still sucks, Just about 10 days ago when Vancouver hit -10 celsius / 14 F my 2021 mach e plugged in fully charged only shows a range of 220 KM / 137 miles
Same day I checked with my neighbour whom recently purchased an ionic 5, his vehicle which was sitting outside for almost 3 days and not plugged in showed a range of an unbelievable 389 km range. And I thought, damn I got screwed by Ford again. Damn you Ford.

·
Premium Member
2021 Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,901 Posts
Even with a level 2 charger mach e still sucks, Just about 10 days ago when Vancouver hit -10 celsius / 14 F my 2021 mach e plugged in fully charged only shows a range of 220 KM / 137 miles
Same day I checked with my neighbour whom recently purchased an ionic 5, his vehicle which was sitting outside for almost 3 days and not plugged in showed a range of an unbelievable 389 km range. And I thought, damn I got screwed by Ford again. Damn you Ford.
What model MMe did you buy that only gets 137 miles of range? I've been in similar temps on extended trips, and I get over 230 miles 370+ km of range. Also, which IONIQ 5 configuration does your neighbor have compared to your model?

·
Registered
241 Posts
You should spend more time learning about battery capacity, EV efficiency and how cold weather effects battery chemistry. Anger and rudeness are useless.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
How you operate your climate control in very cold weather has a huge impact on range. Also, please remember that the range indicator is an ESTIMATE only and why it's called a guess o meter. But hey, the market is so strong for used mach es now, sell it and with the tax credit you should break even.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You should spend more time learning about battery capacity, EV efficiency and how cold weather effects battery chemistry. Anger and rudeness are useless.
I continue to be surprised by people who dove into EVs without doing the most rudimentary research. I only vaguely knew of evs and prior to Jan 21, and nothing about the mach e, but I researched a boatload and have thoroughly enjoyed my nearly eight months of ownership.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Affording the extended range option should be touted as a necessity in cold winter areas. The build software should actually show the option as recommended for cold climates. Not everyone does a lot of research before purchase.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Chargers not working and no priority to get them fixed is a HUGE problem. Two months and no one gets a charger fixed. There can't be that many unique parts in this station. Who is going to inventory parts and see that these units are serviced on a regular basis? EV owners are right now a minority and the minority always have to fight for their rights. I don't see very many charge stations in Chicago near the lake front area. There are a few along the freeway. I see EA has a station at the Target on Larrabee St and some Whole foods have stations for customers. I visit my daughter in Chicago but hesitate to take my Mach E because of lack off charging infrastructure in the area. Yes, I can get there via EA stations on the freeway, but stations in metro area are sparse. The Hilton hotel in Skokie we stay at has 225 rooms, free car parking for guests, but NO ev charging amenities. I have corresponded with the hotel about adding ev charging, but so far no response. I say we keep pounding on owners of these facilities and local elected officials. I hope that included in the infrastructure is some provision to keep these ev stations operational. End of rant.

[/UPDATE: Just an update to my own post here regarding chargers in Chicago area. EA has opened a dc fast charge in Skokie, IL just off I-94 on Old Orchard Rd in Westfield Mall. Excellent choice of location and will make my trip from Minnesota doable. Build it and they will come!!

·
Registered
2021 Mustang Mach e Select AWD
30 Posts
Affording the extended range option should be touted as a necessity in cold winter areas. The build software should actually show the option as recommended for cold climates. Not everyone does a lot of research before purchase.
Not really. It all depends on how you intend to use your vehicle. I bought mine as our city car and can plug it in at home at my leisure. That being said, I have taken a couple of road trips in it and all has worked out, even in the cold of a Canadian winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts

There is not an ev on the market that can meet your requirement. Bottom line is in northern areas you need a way to connect your car over night. This is not something new. People plug in ICE cars in cold environments so they can start in the morning. The 120v connection should do that. It won't charge up much but it can keep your car warm to minimize warmup requirements.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E GT, Grabber Blue
7 Posts
I'd say before you start condemning Ford, you go and actually find out if your neighbor truly had that range available. My suspicion is that the Ionic's computer had not updated its range estimate, which, if that were the case, might be to your neighbor's chagrin. At least Ford's calculation would be somewhat more honest of the circumstances. It would truly suck if he were to set off on a trip, expecting that available range, just to watch it fall off a cliff a km or two down the road when it updated.

The fundamental battery tech is very similar between the two, it's highly unlikely that it won't be impacted in a similar way by cold temperatures.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'd say before you start condemning Ford, you go and actually find out if your neighbor truly had that range available. My suspicion is that the Ionic's computer had not updated its range estimate, which, if that were the case, might be to your neighbor's chagrin. At least Ford's calculation would be somewhat more honest of the circumstances. It would truly suck if he were to set off on a trip, expecting that available range, just to watch it fall off a cliff a km or two down the road when it updated.

The fundamental battery tech is very similar between the two, it's highly unlikely that it won't be impacted in a similar way by cold temperatures.
take Alex's post with a grain of salt, ten months here and only post he made was the one above.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts