Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
great video, but at 4:16 Stuart says the larger battery has a range of 370 miles?!?! did i hear that correctly cause it shud be 300 miles no?

·
Registered
199 Posts
great video, but at 4:16 Stuart says the larger battery has a range of 370 miles?!?! did i hear that correctly cause it shud be 300 miles no?
370 is the estimated range using Europe's WLTP testing methodology. In the USA, the EPA test methodology is used. The WLTP doesn't test at speeds as high as the EPA, thus the difference in ranges.

·
Registered
94 Posts
so technically they are both true but EPA is more realistic or based on our driving patterns. Is that correct?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so technically they are both true but EPA is more realistic or based on our driving patterns. Is that correct?
This article also goes through some of the differences between the EPA and WLTP testing. Why Did 'What Car?' Present Different EV Range Results From EPA?

We contacted Steve Huntingford, editor of What Car?, to ask him what caused such differences. Hard feelings due to the Independence? A protective approach towards Jaguar and the Korean brands? Joking aside, it has to do with each manufacturer’s priorities for him.

“The nature of the (European) WLTP cycle is different from the (US) EPA cycle. The EPA test emphasizes long-distance cruising, which of course is more common in the US, with its geographic nature. WLTP is about shorter, start-stop driving, more common in Europe,” said the editor.

Huntingford believes that the Kona (Kauai, in Portugal) and the Niro EV are relatively small cars, more European focused. So they would have been tuned to go well in WLTP tests. Tesla models, on the other hand, would be more focused on the US, and thus tuned to perform better in EPA cycles. The I-Pace adopts a more neutral approach towards the two test cycles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts