Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how I feel about this, but Ford is going to give the Mach-E fake engine noise when accelerating.

Apparently what happens is Depending on which drive mode you’re in, pressing the throttle delivers a subtle-yet-noticeable growl both inside and outside the car. It’s loudest in Unbridled mode – the liveliest drive setting for the Mach-E – and it’s completely quiet in Whisper mode as one would expect.

What’s interesting here is that the sound isn’t just a straight V8 tone. As explained by Ford’s Dave Pericak at the media preview, there’s a sci-fi element that draws inspiration from movies like Blade Runner and Batman, because who doesn’t want a car that sounds like the Batmobile? Apparently, Ford spent considerable time research trying to develop just the right “Mustang” sound for the Mach-E that wasn’t just a straight V8 burble. Because you know, that would just be tacky, right?

Hopefully the noise isn't too ridiculous and doesn't sound like a V8. Normally I don't like when cars add fake noise, but on the other hand I do like the noise that Porsche gave the Taycan.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
34 Posts
Supposedly there are 3 modes, whisper, something, and banging loud (made that last one up). I assume if you don't like it, set it to whisper

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supposedly there are 3 modes, whisper, something, and banging loud (made that last one up). I assume if you don't like it, set it to whisper
Yeah I think that will be the setting I use first lol. In the video I think they say that there's "whsiper," "engage," and "unbridled" modes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully there will be some way to override this feature. I thought one of the benefits of EVs is that you didn't have to listen to engine noises?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully there will be some way to override this feature. I thought one of the benefits of EVs is that you didn't have to listen to engine noises?
I hope so too, but there are certain legal requirements for vehicle noise so I don't know how that will affect this engine noise Ford is using.

From September 2020, the United States will require all fully electric vehicles and hybrids operating in electric-only mode to make a sound at speeds below 18.6 m.p.h. While that window might seem overly precise — why not 19? — the number is based on research showing that the electric motor and tires make enough noise at speeds above that value to alert pedestrians in time to avoid a mishap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's quite subtle if you haven't heard it in the driving demonstrations. O think it's a plus my wife can't stand to drive our Soul EV for the lack of noise. It gives her a little more confidence in merging situations I think

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's quite subtle if you haven't heard it in the driving demonstrations. O think it's a plus my wife can't stand to drive our Soul EV for the lack of noise. It gives her a little more confidence in merging situations I think
Hmm, I didn't think about it like that, that's a very good point. Have you been to the driving demonstrations @mustangteddy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer the subdued whine of the electric drive train. We have had a Chevy Bolt and now a Nissan Leaf Plus. The quiet acceleration is what is nice about the electric car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts