Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
As I've contended before, the Mach-E is an electrified RS hatchback, as opposed to an electrified Mustang. Same body style, same AWD, same torque-vectoring. I love it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really like the Focus RS, but I'm at an age and lifestyle where it just isn't practical to own one. I got rid of a Fiesta ST a couple of years ago because it just wasn't practical for me. The Mach-E will definitely fit the bill.

Wasn't there talk of making a hybrid version of the Focus RS?

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
...Wasn't there talk of making a hybrid version of the Focus RS?
I remember reading that also, but for Europe only. We will probably not see Ford offer the Focus or Fiesta models in the US any time soon.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the Focus RS, but I'm at an age and lifestyle where it just isn't practical to own one. I got rid of a Fiesta ST a couple of years ago because it just wasn't practical for me. The Mach-E will definitely fit the bill.

Wasn't there talk of making a hybrid version of the Focus RS?
I remember reading that also, but for Europe only. We will probably not see Ford offer the Focus or Fiesta models in the US any time soon.
There was news back in February about the Focus RS having a hybrid system.

The challenge of the new fleet average figure – set industry-wide at 95g/km, but varying according to a car company’s mix of vehicles and their kerb weights – now means the Focus RS won’t be seen in 2020 as rumoured. Instead, it is more likely to be launched in 2022/23.

In order to achieve both high performance and low emissions, Autocar understands that Ford has switched its attention to an RS version of the full-hybrid 2.5-litre petrol unit that will power range-topping models of the new Kuga this year. In that application, the Atkinson-cycle 2.5-litre four-cylinder engine and motor deliver 222bhp, with drive through a CVT auto and optional four-wheel drive.

All-wheel drive will be vital to harness the Focus RS’s required power, which is likely to approach 400bhp. The last Focus RS was all-wheel drive and delivered 345bhp and 376lb ft from a 2.3-litre turbo four but equivalent models from Audi and Mercedes have since hiked outputs to nearer 400bhp and beyond.

To achieve a similar output would require a blend of combustion and electrical power – possibly 300bhp from a turbocharged 2.5-litre engine and 100bhp from the electric motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts