Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the Media Kit Ford sent out for the Mustang Mach-E and one thing that really stood out for me was that they specifically compared it to the Porsche Macan.

When it arrives in late 2020, Mustang Mach-E will be available with standard and extended-range battery options with either rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive powered by permanent magnet motors. Equipped with an extended-range battery and rear-wheel drive, Mach-E has a targeted EPA-estimated range of at least 300 miles.1 In extended-range all-wheel-drive configurations, Mach-E is targeting 332 horsepower and 417 lb.-ft. of torque2 – with the standard all-wheel-drive variation targeting quicker times to 60 mph than the base Porsche Macan series.3

Ford also will offer two special performance versions. The GT is targeting 0-60 mph in under 4 seconds2, making it faster off the line than a Porsche Macan Turbo3. The GT Performance Edition, meanwhile, is targeting a comparable 0-60 mph in the mid-3-second range to a Porsche 911 GTS.3 Both GT configurations are targeting an estimated 342 kW (459 horsepower) and 830 Nm (612 lb.-ft.) of torque.2
I might be getting way ahead of myself here, but if Ford is actually trying to go after Porsche for performance, wouldn't it be fun to see the Mach-E go up against the Porsche Taycan?

The Taycan 4S is going to have a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds which is in the same ballpark as the Mach-E GT (3.5 seconds). I'd love to see a race like that happen.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I can't think anyone would reasonably cross-shop these two. But... maybe.
Impressive that the Mach E GT is so much faster!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nothing really compares to the Porsche Taycan. Arguably the most advanced production car in existence right now.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,654 Posts
Nothing really compares to the Porsche Taycan. Arguably the most advanced production car in existence right now.
With a usable range of less than 200 miles I hardly think so!

·
Registered
343 Posts
With a usable range of less than 200 miles I hardly think so!
“InsideEVs' Porsche Taycan 4S Real-World 70 MPH Range Test”

Taycan got 270 miles at 70 mph. 132% of EPA Rated Range. Model 3, 289 miles. 92% of EPA Rated Range.

That’s probably the only area where the Model 3 is even close.

No shame, the Porsche Taycan is a $130k + car by world‘s best car builder.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,654 Posts

Taycan got 270 miles at 70 mph. 132% of EPA Rated Range. Model 3, 289 miles. 92% of EPA Rated Range.

Highly suspect: 270 KW charging speed from EA?

Cannot imagine Porsche "under selling" the range by 70 miles.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
1,909 Posts

I like that guy. Enjoyed the Vid, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
From Car and Driver:

"The results were far closer than we expected: 209 miles for the Taycan, and 222 for the Model S. "
see: In Our Testing, the Porsche Taycan's Range Nearly Equaled That of the Tesla Model S
Ok but the C&D test was at lower temperature, different trim, an 11 MPH wind and battery not run to 0%. It would be interesting to see them do it with similar real world factors. As to the EA charge rate, without re-watching the In-EV video, didn't they show the charge rate?

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts

I went back to look at the Vid to see if I missed something and took a photo of the EA charger at 264kWh and the commentator stated that at 90+% charge they were still charging at 93kWh. Seems credible to me?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts

They actually did, for some unknown reason.

Somewhere, there was an analysis of the data filed by Porsche for the EPA and WLTP testing. The EPA testing results came in higher, and Posche decided to stick with the range filed instead.

I’m too tired to scour the internet for it again. I’m kinda numb with the research and stuff. I just want my MMe delivered in a reasonable timeframe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Taycan is hobbled by a two-speed transaxle that, per reports, hurts its performance. Porsche has a loooonng history of making bad engineering decisions (the 911's aft-of-the-axle rear engine) and then adding massive engineering effort and expensive complications (rear wheel steering) to overcome the original bad decision. I look forward to a comparison test of the Taycans vs the Mach-E Performance Edition. Let's see what the extra $35,000-$110,000 gets you.

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
It helps with performance, but takes away from range.

The two speed is why the Taycan Turbo S beats Teslas fastest Model S performance available in the 1/4 mile every time. The MS power band drops off dramatically at 120 mph, but the Taycan TS still has more to give.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They actually did, for some unknown reason.
For a couple known reasons. First and foremost to exceed expectations of Porsche owners on Porsche's first EV.

It is remarkable that Porsche on its first shot at building an pure EV hits it out of the ballpark and it's a Porsche in every way.

Bodes well for Ford, VW, GM, et all in transitioning to zero emissions cars.

Here's a vid of Mustang GT vs. Porsche.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It helps with performance, but takes away from range.

The two speed is why the Taycan Turbo S beats Teslas fastest Model S performance available in the 1/4 mile every time. The MS power band drops off dramatically at 120 mph, but the Taycan TS still has more to give.
Also the reasons why almost all EVs are quick but not fast. Doesn't really matter for me though because the days of routinely going to triple digits on the speedometer are pretty much over.

The Taycan is really an awesome engineering achievement... Not so sure about the interior though... that's a LOT of screens. It's almost like they went for the completely opposite approach to the stark Tesla interiors.

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
Also the reasons why almost all EVs are quick but not fast. Doesn't really matter for me though because the days of routinely going to triple digits on the speedometer are pretty much over.

The Taycan is really an awesome engineering achievement... Not so sure about the interior though... that's a LOT of screens. It's almost like they went for the completely opposite approach to the stark Tesla interiors.
Some prefer more that the Tesla minimalist design offers. The new Mercedes edge-to-edge screen looks interesting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts