Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you get your Mustang Mach-E it's going to come with a 3-year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and an 8-year / 100,000 mile battery warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like the Chevy Bolt, that seems neither particularly competitive nor confidence-inspiring.

Tesla:
New Vehicle Limited Warranty: 4 Years / 50k Miles
Battery and Drive Unit: 8 Years / 125k Miles

Hyundai:
New Vehicle Limited Warranty: 5 Years / 60k Miles
Powertrain Limited Warranty: 10 Years / 100k Miles
Electric Battery Warranty: Lifetime

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like the Chevy Bolt, that seems neither particularly competitive nor confidence-inspiring.

Tesla:

Hyundai:
By comparison that's a bit lackluster, especially compared to Hyundai's

·
Registered
76 Posts

Tesla:

Hyundai:
The Bolt needs neither warranty, dealer, nor confidence. It is a battery powered vehicle that has 3 THREE major moving parts to make it move. It is spot on reliable
One needs to purchase a vehicle to use for its designed purpose
The Mach E has 3 to 4 years additional lead time as well as, I believe, the full weight of the VAG for engineering support.

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMO
Anti Bolt and FUD concerning Mach E or Bolt, or any other BEV has always only one source. The fan boyz of the space jockey .
Unfortunately the Mach E release is far out, so the FUDsters will have all the time they need for their dirty work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tesla has few service centers. Some states have zero sales and service centers. Ranger service? Good luck if you live in the far rural areas of your state. Massive complaints about slow repair process with Tesla. Quality control issues are known to be problematic with Tesla. More to it than just words on a paper.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Warranties are great if you need them. Pointless if you don’t. Always a gamble.

My Lincoln Hybrid with 40k on it has never seen a shop other than oil. My previous Fusion 78k miles and one visit. Ford quality seems to be solid based on my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Warranties reflect the level of confidence manufacturers have in their products. A better warranty reflects fewer anticipated problems during and after the warranty period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know if the Ford EVs have same international warranty as the ICE cars? Planning on exporting mine to Europe upon moving there in few years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Warranties reflect the level of confidence manufacturers have in their products. A better warranty reflects fewer anticipated problems during and after the warranty period.
And more importantly, coax more buyers in to buy them. Which is especially important when trying to convert traditional car buyers over to a radically new and different platform (as this is for Ford).

And if they really are nearly problem-free, then it wouldn't cost a manufacture much to give a longer warranty.

I suspect what's really happening here is Ford just wants to stick with their standard vehicle warranty (36/36,000) for consistency sake, and so it neither undercuts nor overcuts the other ICE vehicles they're still selling. They wanna sell Mach-e's but they also wanna keep selling everything else.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hyundai's warranty is quite compelling to me, compared to others like Ford or Chevrolet. As @bjmsam stated: 5 year bumper to bumper, 10 year powertrain, unlimited miles high-voltage battery (for original owner, only for battery failure not for degradation).

So far my Fiesta's main problem areas are its transmission and HVAC components. I've had 14 service visits just for those two categories alone, with most of them covered by warranty. The extra length of Hyundai's warranty would have saved me $1662 (to date). Regardless, the longer warranty terms would provide me more peace of mind. To me, the ho-hum factory warranty terms for the Mach-E are one of its negatives.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd want an extended warranty mostly for the electronics suite. All of the driver assist sensor systems, computer processors and touchscreen are pricey af to replace.

I'm not really worried about the drivetrain but there are some other things too that a longer warranty could cover on the Mach-E. For example, Bolt EVs have a common problem with swaybars needing replaced which costs $1200. If you're at 36,001 miles and need the work done, you're out of luck. This is happening right now to the host of Transport Evolved on YouTube.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How much do you suppose you'd be willing to pay for the warranty? What terms? (years, deductible per visit/repair, exclusions)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I paid $1500 for my Outback's extended warranty. 7 years/100k miles with $0 deductible. I'd consider that fair for Mach-E.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did that cover everything? What sort of things weren't included?

IIRC, I paid $1800 for a 7 year, 100k miles, $0 deductible extended warranty on my 2007 Fusion. I had to negotiate it way down to that price... It was an exclusionary warranty, meaning everything was included except for the items listed as excluded. Exclusions listed some vague things like "trim" and they considered door handles as trim. So when driver's inside door handle broke, for instance, it wasn't covered. Anyway, over 7 years, only 5 of the repairs I had done were covered by the extended warranty (most of the other repairs were covered by factory warranty), and they were mostly small items. I don't think I came close to breaking even on the extended warranty.

On my current car (the 2014 Fiesta), if I were able to have gotten the same exact warranty offering as I had before, for the same price, then I would have just barely broken even by now. This is especially because the repair I just had done last week cost about $800 due to dealer service price gouging (motor and transmission mounts). I'm at 6+ years ownership on this, so any further warranty repairs done over this remaining year would have made it worthwhile.

Will I buy an extended warranty on my next car? Only if the terms seem almost too good to be true, at a more than fair price. I'd rather be self insured. If there is a major design flaw on the Mach-E that isn't addressed during the normal Ford warranty, then I expect Ford to own up to it. They've extended the warranty for three components of my Fiesta for this reason (for me and every other U.S. Fiesta owner with the same setup).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Afaik, the extended warranty I got from Subaru was bumper to bumper and excluded only wearables.

I'm on my third fuel door and the dealer replaced some sensor under warranty. The Outback has proven to be reliable and the Eyesight safety system bulletproof. That being said, I paid for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I paid $3200 for the warranty on my 2012 grand Cherokee. It’s good as long as I own the car which now has 120k on it. I’ll never get rid of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here in Canada Hyundai has increased their warranty because they had a poor reputation on their products (rust, mechanic, reliability…), lower price was not enough. They are a lot better now and good products!

·
Registered
294 Posts
IMO
Anti Bolt and FUD concerning Mach E or Bolt, or any other BEV has always only one source. The fan boyz of the space jockey .
Unfortunately the Mach E release is far out, so the FUDsters will have all the time they need for their dirty work.
Come on, that's awfully simplistic, dismissive and probably unfounded. There's enough of that kind of crap out there already; please don't start that here.

I am a Ford Mustang fan (I'm on my third), and honestly the quality control and ford's response to issues I've had on my 2015 convertible are disappointing. Nonetheless, I will be ordering a mach-e when my number (17xxx) comes up in the spring. But I am also going with no illusions: there will be problems and I just hope they aren't major. With all of the electronic gadgets, there are far more than 3 parts involved. 30+ years in the software industry also makes me realize there will be cycles of patches fixing- and introducing- goofy issues for years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have bought nothing but Fords since 2006. Roughly 15 vehicles. I had also purchase the 125,000 bumper to bumper coverage with zero deductible. Zero exclusions. It cost $7200 dollars or $100 per month. Honestly looking back and on my 2017 fusion AWD SPORT I did not. I have NEVER had an issue with anything that was major. On my 2017 Now after two years I have done oil changes and all recommendations. I drive about 2500 miles PER MONTH. The warranty in reality was a waste. Paying as I go has so far been cheaper. In total in two years I have spent roughly $500.00. My biggest expense has been tires. Roughly $1000 per set on a 2017 explorer titanium and my 2017 fusion. My 2018 Cmax has original tires and 40,000 miles. Ford has been great. My only concern is the batteries on the Mach E that I ordered. However after spending a lot of time talking to ford on the issue. There are 6 sets of battery packs. All are interchangeable. Like a Christmas tree if one goes out the car still works. They estimate 500,000 miles before needing replacement. Ford has a 8 year 100,009 mile warranty on the batteries. Someone like me will do that in about 3-4 years. Ford rough estimate if I had to replace one would be in the $1500-2000 for each battery. Chances of all going out is insanely unlikely but say the did. Cost would be $20,000!same as Tesla. So in effect I get a brand new car for $20,000. I can live with that. The Mach E is THE only comparable to Tesla call of the others like Leaf and Jaguar cannot compete due to mileage per charge. When you buy a car like the Mach E or Tesla you are essentially buying your LAST car. Mileage that destroys cars is no longer a factor. Maintenance is a much lesser cost/issue. In short it is a completely different mind set. Once you grasp the new mind set everything else falls into place. Anything major that can go wrong with the car as any car will during the 36,000 mile period. I know as I drive a ton of miles on All if my cars. This is THE why I have bought so many because I literally ran the cars into 6 figure miles and I did not trust the car enough to go 200 miles from 300 ft above seas level to 4400 feet back down to about 200 feet in winter with snow ice rain and wind. The Mach E AWD will solve my continued car buying issue. With ALL of my fords the extra 125,000 was a complete waste of money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts