Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Ford plans to build a new EV in Germany

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  MachDrive 
#1 ·
Automotive News is reporting that Ford has plans on building a new EV in their Cologne Germany plant.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Automotive News is reporting that Ford has plans on building a new EV in their Cologne Germany plant.

This is a great step forward. I keep hoping Ford will go all-in with VW on small EVs, and the next Escape/Bronco Sport etc. will be MEB based BEVs, and Ford can focus their own efforts on larger SUVs and trucks on their own BEV platforms.

#4 ·
I believe the exact opposite.

I wouldn’t say all-in, maybe for the near-term. Its competitive suicide to become dependent on another company for what is basically the entire car. No matter what Ford does with it, it will just be considered a ‘re-skinned VW’.

If they make it super-lux, people will say “why pay more for the Ford, you can just get the VW.”

If they make it more-affordable, people will say “just pay a little more and get the VW version.”

Ford loses out either way. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

#9 ·
Hopefully not, but it would not at all surprise me for them to focus on Europe for anything small, fun, and desirable (they get the Puma while we get the EcoSport, etc.)

I really think there's potential for Ford to lean in to MEB and bring out a next-gen Bronco Sport and Escape off of it for the US market, ditch the current gas models altogether.

#14 ·
I am confused why the Mach E platform would take that much alteration to scale into smaller BEVs. Maybe I am missing something? And if there were so much to gain from using MEB in the first place, why bother building their own platform for Mach E, and not just license that too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.