Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford has announced that they will be offering an all-electric Transit van to go along with the Mach-E and electric F-150.

It will be available for the 2022 model year. It will be loaded with smart features, fleets can leverage insightful data collected through Ford Telematics™ using an embedded FordPass Connect™ modem featuring a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot with connectivity for up to 10 devices. Managers can use Ford Data Services™ tools like live map GPS tracking, geofencing and vehicle diagnostics to see at-a-glance key performance indicators at a glance for vehicle and driver.

The vehicle includes standard Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking plus Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning, Post-Collision Braking, Lane-Keeping System and auto high-beam headlamps.

DEARBORN, Mich., March 3, 2020 – The best-selling cargo van in the world – Ford Transit – is going digital, with an all-electric version coming for the 2022 model year.

“Commercial vehicles are a critical component to our big bet on electrification,” said Jim Farley, chief operating officer, Ford Motor Company. “As leaders in this space, we are accelerating our plans to create solutions that help businesses run better, starting with our all-electric Transit and F-150. This Ford Transit isn’t just about creating an electric drivetrain, it’s about designing and developing a digital product that propels fleets forward.”

With the world’s best-selling cargo van and as America’s best-selling commercial van brand for 41 years, Ford intends to lead the transition to zero emissions in the segment with its all-electric Transit. Ford’s U.S. truck and van fleet sales have grown 33 percent since 2015 and the company expects continued growth of van sales in the U.S. as e-commerce and “last mile” delivery increase. Ford’s overall van sales delivered their best fourth quarter results since 1978 on sales of 59,930 vans. For the year, Ford van sales totaled 240,529 vehicles. Ford expects electric vehicles to grow to 8 percent of the industry in 2025 in the U.S.

As consumers focus on reducing their own carbon footprints, more and more businesses are setting ambitious sustainability goals. Cities, meanwhile, are weighing increasingly stringent rules to address CO2, air quality and noise reduction goals.

The all-electric Transit, which will be American-built*, is part of Ford’s more than $11.5 billion investment in electrification through 2022. This vision includes all-electric vehicles that build on Ford’s strengths and taps the company’s all-electric technology to deliver even more performance, capability and productivity – including the all-electric Transit sold in Europe, Mustang Mach-E coming later this year and the previously announced all-electric F-150.

Smart and connected
“The world is heading toward electrified products and fleet customers are asking for them now,” said Farley. “We know their vehicles operate as a connected mobile business and their technology needs are different than retail customers. So Ford is thinking deeply on connectivity relationships that integrate with our in-vehicle high-speed electrical architectures and cloud-based data services to provide these businesses smart vehicles beyond just the electric powertrains.”

Smart technology built in to the all-electric Transit helps to optimize fleet efficiency and reduce waste, as well as improve driver behavior by providing insights into operator performance. Fleets can leverage insightful data collected through Ford Telematics™ using an embedded FordPass Connect™ modem featuring a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot with connectivity for up to 10 devices. Managers can use Ford Data Services™ tools like live map GPS tracking, geofencing and vehicle diagnostics to see at-a-glance key performance indicators at a glance for vehicle and driver.

A suite of Ford driver-assist technologies can help improve driver confidence and avoid or reduce the severity of a collision**. The vehicle includes standard Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking plus Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning, Post-Collision Braking, Lane-Keeping System and auto high-beam headlamps.

Total package delivery machine
With 35 years of commercial vehicle leadership, Ford knows customers need the right tool to get the job done. The all-electric Ford Transit will offer uncompromised cargo capacity and the power of choice with a variety of chassis options, including cargo van, cutaway and chassis cab, plus three roof heights and three body lengths. Customers will have the full backing of the company’s massive electric vehicle-certified dealer network, more than 730 commercial vehicle centers across the U.S. and Canada, and access to Ford’s charging network – North America’s largest public charging network***.

Fleet operators can expect advantages beyond just eliminating trips to the gas station. All-electric powertrains mean significantly less scheduled maintenance than internal combustion engines, plus lower operating costs. Electric vehicle fleets may benefit from federal, state and local electric vehicle tax incentives, access to high-occupancy vehicle lanes and free parking. Electric vehicles can operate where vans with internal combustion engines cannot, including indoors, in environments with limited ventilation, and at night in areas with restrictive noise ordinances.

Further details about the all-electric Ford Transit and its features will be revealed later.
Ford Transit Electric Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford has announced that they will be offering an all-electric Transit van to go along with the Mach-E and electric F-150.

It will be available for the 2022 model year. It will be loaded with smart features, fleets can leverage insightful data collected through Ford Telematics™ using an embedded FordPass Connect™ modem featuring a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot with connectivity for up to 10 devices. Managers can use Ford Data Services™ tools like live map GPS tracking, geofencing and vehicle diagnostics to see at-a-glance key performance indicators at a glance for vehicle and driver.

The vehicle includes standard Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking plus Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning, Post-Collision Braking, Lane-Keeping System and auto high-beam headlamps.

View attachment 870
Will any electric cars produced in the USA ever be capable of being charged with portable solar panels ?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Will any electric cars produced in the USA ever be capable of being charged with portable solar panels ?
If you're referring to the trailer with solar panels on it towed by a tesla, I don't see why someone couldn't build one with a j1772 or CCS connector. The real question is the practicality - with a relatively small surface area of panels and the range hit due to weight and drag it seems rather counterproductive unless you plan to camp in the desert for a week.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yep. Realistically, if you replaced the glass roof on the Mach-e with a solar panel roof, you're talking maybe 2 sq meters that would generate about 400w. Someone parking the car outside at work and/or apartment parking lot (avoiding shade) every day might average 10 hours of good sun. That 4 kWh/day. At 3 miles/kWh efficiency, that's 12 miles/day added.

That's not nothing, as it might make a BEV more viable for someone that doesn't have easy overnight home charging available. That might even cover their daily commute (although more likely it's closer to just 1/2 or 1/3). But it's still only partial help, and probably adds significant $$$. And is only useful for people who park outside most of the day. It doesn't do squat for road trip driving (drop in the bucket).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep. Realistically, if you replaced the glass roof on the Mach-e with a solar panel roof, you're talking maybe 2 sq meters that would generate about 400w. Someone parking the car outside at work and/or apartment parking lot (avoiding shade) every day might average 10 hours of good sun. That 4 kWh/day. At 3 miles/kWh efficiency, that's 12 miles/day added.

That's not nothing, as it might make a BEV more viable for someone that doesn't have easy overnight home charging available. That might even cover their daily commute (although more likely it's closer to just 1/2 or 1/3). But it's still only partial help, and probably adds significant $$$. And is only useful for people who park outside most of the day. It doesn't do squat for road trip driving (drop in the bucket).
I look at it more as keeping the battery conditioned in really hot weather, and even somewhat in cold weather. To me it is more important to protect the battery (particularly if it IS parked out in the hot summer sun all day) rather than add a few miles.

As an aside: I'm sure I'm in the minority, but the fixed glass roof as they've done it is just plain useless; without a sunshade you get the hot sun and with a fixed panel you lose the flowing air of a sunroof/convertible. I don't get why they put a sunroof panel on the panoramic roof of the escape (for only $1400), but not the Mach E. A mustang should actually be able to OPEN the roof instead of making a fishbowl out of it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As an aside: I'm sure I'm in the minority, but the fixed glass roof as they've done it is just plain useless; without a sunshade you get the hot sun and with a fixed panel you lose the flowing air of a sunroof/convertible. I don't get why they put a sunroof panel on the panoramic roof of the escape (for only $1400), but not the Mach E.
That's one of my pending concerns to check out in person. I'm not usually a moonroof person. I hate bright, direct sun coming in as a distraction. And I'm concerned there's no shade to close. I can only hope they've building significant dark shading into the glass, and the sunrays are well diffused.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Putting a solar carport over your driveway would yield more electrons for your dollar
Absolutely, but the problem isn't when the car is in your own driveway (where you could just plug in): it's when the car is parked elsewhere such as where you work.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
21 Posts
I was struck by the relative ease of installing a charging station compared to building a gas station the other day. If EVs catch on in a major way, I can foresee all kinds of businesses adding EV charging to their premises to attract business and generate revenue. Parks can add them to promote tourism. This is an expanding market. All you need is an existing electrical service and the software/hardware combination to monitor and charge for usage.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Putting a solar carport over your driveway would yield more electrons for your dollar
Carports aren't usually something people want nowadays though. They're kind of an eyesore. HOAs probably wouldn't approve them either, especially in the nicer neighborhoods that someone buying a $60,000 car is more likely to live in. More likely is simply rooftop solar on the house/garage.

The point of looking at building solar into the car roof would be for people that don't have a house to plug in at overnight (like people that live in an apartment building with no charging stations).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Carports and parking lot solar for apartment buildings make use of the large under-utilized areas on residential properties. I think car roof solar is not likely to add much value due to the small footprint, as mentioned by many on here. The ease of proliferating charging stations at your possible destinations makes that a much more likely solution. I'm shocked EV charging chains have not created a revenue-sharing model to find more partners for locations. So far their argument is you should partner with them for altruistic reasons. I look for a disruptive new player to upset the industry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I should add that parking a car in an unprotected area is becoming a dangerous thing to do with catastrophic climate change. In my area we have had weekly destructive hail storms all summer long this year, with significant damage to homes and vehicles. One recent storm damaged 20,000 houses as well as the owners' vehicles that were outside at the time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Carports and parking lot solar for apartment buildings make use of the large under-utilized areas on residential properties. I think car roof solar is not likely to add much value due to the small footprint, as mentioned by many on here. The ease of proliferating charging stations at your possible destinations makes that a much more likely solution. I'm shocked EV charging chains have not created a revenue-sharing model to find more partners for locations. So far their argument is you should partner with them for altruistic reasons. I look for a disruptive new player to upset the industry.
Yeah, as we discussed above, car roof solar just isn't a big enough area to be of much value.

While carports aren't likely to be desirable for many private homes, parking lot solar is a different matter. We already see some of that now (one of the airport parking lots here does that). The problem is that's for daytime charging, which makes it of little use for apartment buildings when people are out at work and need to charge overnight. Could be a fit for some workplace parking lots though.

The "next frontier" for chargers is apartment/condo buildings, IMO. We're gonna need a lot of L2 chargers for overnight charging in multi-unit residences where people can't install their own private charger.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
689 Posts
Yeah, as we discussed above, car roof solar just isn't a big enough area to be of much value.

While carports aren't likely to be desirable for many private homes, parking lot solar is a different matter. We already see some of that now (one of the airport parking lots here does that). The problem is that's for daytime charging, which makes it of little use for apartment buildings when people are out at work and need to charge overnight. Could be a fit for some workplace parking lots though.

The "next frontier" for chargers is apartment/condo buildings, IMO. We're gonna need a lot of L2 chargers for overnight charging in multi-unit residences where people can't install their own private charger.
Lots of businesses around here have installed solar parking covers. Just imagine how great they would be in sunnier climates!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lots of businesses around here have installed solar parking covers. Just imagine how great they would be in sunnier climates!
The problem, of course, it the significant extra cost over just an open surface lot. Nearly impossible to recover those costs just from retail car chargers (you'd have to charge a prohibitive price no one would pay). Can probably only justify it by tying it into the grid. And at that point whether they add EV chargers or not is kind of irrelevant. Same as putting them anywhere else on the grid.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The problem, of course, it the significant extra cost over just an open surface lot. Nearly impossible to recover those costs just from retail car chargers (you'd have to charge a prohibitive price no one would pay). Can probably only justify it by tying it into the grid. And at that point whether they add EV chargers or not is kind of irrelevant. Same as putting them anywhere else on the grid.
Most places with the solar covered lots are just feeding it into their buildings. I have seen a few that use these for charging as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Most places with the solar covered lots are just feeding it into their buildings. I have seen a few that use these for charging as well.
Exactly (to their building and thus connected to the grid).

They may choose to install chargers too, but it's pretty irrelevant to the solar at that point. Although I suppose there could be some modest savings on the rate differential (not likely enough to come close to covering the cost of solar equipment though).

·
Registered
689 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts