Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone inform me as to the procedure of using the free 250kWh worth of charging that Ford provides with a new car?

I went to an Electrify America charging station and plugged in and got charged on my FordPass credit card for the kWh I used.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Can anyone inform me as to the procedure of using the free 250kWh worth of charging that Ford provides with a new car?

I went to an Electrify America charging station and plugged in and got charged on my FordPass credit card for the kWh I used.
I know you need to go to ford.com/connected services in your account (not FP app) to activate the free kwh. Then just plug in without opening FP app. I don't remember if the preferred charge settings or the charge when plugged in makes a difference. I use the ”use preferred charge“ setting. My free kwh were deducted on a free charge day at EA which was not supposed to happen. Last April on Earth Day I toggled the charge setting to “charge when plugged in” and it was free although I still had a few kwh hrs left in the bank.

·
Registered
MME, Infinite Blue, Premium, RWD, ER.
347 Posts
While we’re on the topic, can someone educate me what 350 or 250 KWH on the changing station is? I assume 350 is level 3 ? The other is level 2?
The 50kW, 150kW or 350kW is basically how much energy can be added to the vehicle at a time. So higher number = more energy added = faster charge.

There are three levels. (Actually the correct term for “Level 3” is DC charging, but I call it level 3 as well.)

Technically charging with the CSS-plug is DC charging, where the smaller L1/2 plug is AC charging.
  • Level 1 is limited to 120V and 1.8 kW and delivers basic charging.
  • Level 2 is defined as 208V to 240V and up to 80A, with a maximum output of 19.2 kW.
  • DC charging provide fast charging and are only available at commercial stations with a power output of up to 350 kW.

Note: the MME can only accept up to 150kW, butin my experience I get a faster charge on the 350 chargers than on the 150. just know that you won’t always get the “max speed”. A lot depends on temperature and charge level on the car.

Note 2: with the Ford home charger that comes with the F150 Lightning, you can actually do DC charging at home

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 50kW, 150kW or 350kW is basically how much energy can be added to the vehicle at a time. So higher number = more energy added = faster charge.

There are three levels. (Actually the correct term for “Level 3” is DC charging, but I call it level 3 as well.)

Technically charging with the CSS-plug is DC charging, where the smaller L1/2 plug is AC charging.
  • Level 1 is limited to 120V and 1.8 kW and delivers basic charging.
  • Level 2 is defined as 208V to 240V and up to 80A, with a maximum output of 19.2 kW.
  • DC Level 1 and 2 provide fast charging and are only available at commercial stations with a power output of up to 350 kW.

Note: the MME can only accept up to 150kW, butin my experience I get a faster charge on the 350 chargers than on the 150. just know that you won’t always get the “max speed”. A lot depends on temperature and charge level on the car.

Note 2: with the Ford home charger that comes with the F150 Lightning, you can actually do DC charging at home
I think your 3rd Bullitt should have been DC Level 3?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks Greg. Actually there’s two levels of DC charging. But I’ve removed it - as to not confuse :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks,
I have an account on Ford.com, but couldn't find the 'Connect" link to apply for free KWH for a new car buyer.
I assume the EA charging stations are all 'smart' and they recognize your car and how much you have received for free?
Greg 1 month new owner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is the reason I called Ford - wasn't sure about how to do it myself. I was told to log into ford.com and set up an account if you have not already done so. Then go to connected services and it should show you your available kWh balance. There you will find the following statement:

"Our network combines multiple charging networks, giving you hassle-free pay-as-you-go access to more than 19,500 public charging stations — all through a single sign-up — and access is complimentary for two years. That includes Electrify America DC fast chargers, where charging your all-electric vehicle takes minutes, not hours. Plus use the Plug & Charge feature to automatically activate charging by simply plugging into a public charging station."

Yet I was told this only applies to EA. Still not sure where to find the "Plug & Charge" feature. Also, told that I should have gotten an email explaining how, but never got it.

Still not sure how to get the provided 250 kWh. I will try it and see what happens when and if I get my car back (in the dealer after having a "battery drain" - 9 days now).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks,
I have an account on Ford.com, but couldn't find the 'Connect" link to apply for free KWH for a new car buyer.
I assume the EA charging stations are all 'smart' and they recognize your car and how much you have received for free?
Greg 1 month new owner.
This is the path for me:
Ford.com (on your computer)
Support and Services tab
Support home
Sign in with user and pw
Connected Services (shows up as a box)
Manage service (link within that box)
Blue Oval charging network
There for me it shows “Electrify America kwh balance”. (413 kwh for me)
It clearly show the kwh balance is for EA.
I'm guessing it would have been too complicated to negotiate the dispensing of the free kwh through all of the partners in the Blue Oval network. It's bad enough as it is! Yes, it should work for any EA charging station. Key word is should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the path for me:
Support and Services tab
Support home
Sign in with user and pw
I'm guessing it would have been too complicated to negotiate the dispensing of the free kwh through all of the partners in the Blue Oval network. It's bad enough as it is! Yes, it should work for any EA charging station. Key word is should.
Thank you,
Your directions were precise....a lot better then the Ford Manuals!!
I logged in and activated the account and it listed my 250 KWH complimentary balance.
I have not used any public chargers as yet. I assume that when I find an EA system, I just plug in and it will use up my balance, then starting to charge my credit card which I put on file.
Greg

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thank you,
Your directions were precise....a lot better then the Ford Manuals!!
I logged in and activated the account and it listed my 250 KWH complimentary balance.
I have not used any public chargers as yet. I assume that when I find an EA system, I just plug in and it will use up my balance, then starting to charge my credit card which I put on file.
Greg
It works with just plugin in for me. Also if you can’t get the EA station to work, call them. They’re super helpful and you might end up with a free charge. I had that happen a few times in the beginning of the Mach-E rollout.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E
13 Posts
Great thread. Thanks for all the info. When I use the EA chargers, it is usually just a boost to get me to my destination. I’m only paying $0.08/kWh on my Level 2 60A charger at home, but the EA DC chargers run anywhere from $0.30-$0.42/kWh, (after the free 250 KWH that Ford provides), so only use EA when I have to. I’ve had my MME for 9 months (just over 10k miles) and have used only about half of my free 250 KWH thru EA.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Great thread. Thanks for all the info. When I use the EA chargers, it is usually just a boost to get me to my destination. I’m only paying $0.08/kWh on my Level 2 60A charger at home, but the EA DC chargers run anywhere from $0.30-$0.42/kWh, (after the free 250 KWH that Ford provides), so only use EA when I have to. I’ve had my MME for 9 months (just over 10k miles) and have used only about half of my free 250 KWH thru EA.
Same here - we pay $0.07/kWh, so I only use EA for longer trips (or not so long trips in winter)

I’ve had mine for near 14 months and it’s gone almost 19k miles. Drove it to FL and CA right after we got it and burned all $500 from Ford quite fast.

I pay the subscription fee to EA while on the longer trips. It’s totally is worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You
This is the path for me:
Support and Services tab
Support home
Sign in with user and pw
I also started with as you did with 500kWh. Do you know why?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts