Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think: can we expect further range increase with existing battery hardware with the final specs coming up once stable production vehicles hit the road? Latest range additions to competing cars like the Model Y do set Ford under certain pressure. Moreover, will there be a third battery option in the future?

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
What does everyone think: can we expect further range increase with existing battery hardware with the final specs coming up once stable production vehicles hit the road? Latest range additions to competing cars like the Model Y do set Ford under certain pressure. Moreover, will there be a third battery option in the future?
The range is now 325 for new ‘2021 edition’ Model Y LR, which has more efficient components installed compared to units built prior November. This is a 9 mile increase over the 2020 model.

I think the MMe range numbers will be closer to the Model Y than the MMe EPA target of 270 for the AWD/ER, based on numbers we are seeing from test drives in the EU. Plus, Ford has a huge 10% reserve on the battery. They could add range via OTA in the future, like Tesla did with their vehicles.

I don’t see them adding a third battery option to the MMe, the ER battery is quite large. They may replace the entire thing with cell tech that is more power dense in the future. Larger platforms like the Transit and F150 may have more options.

·
Registered
562 Posts
which has more efficient components installed compared to units built prior November.
Actually, I haven't seen anything written about how they achieved this. It could be they decreased their buffer again, or they tweaked their algorithms for when the car is run on a dynamometer.

Regardless, as you said Ford's EPA numbers are "minimum targets" and not official from EPA yet. Darren Palmer has been vehement that reported range will exceed the targets. In fact, my best guess is that Tesla has a mole inside Ford feeding them numbers - the recent change of the Y's 0-60 time from 4.8 to 4.4 just before Ford's actual numbers came out at 4.8 is awfully suspicious, as is this sudden increase in range just before the official MME numbers come out. It could just be Musk hedging his bets, but it feels like he is reacting to known information. I really wouldn't be surprised if the RWD ER comes out with 316 miles EPA, and the AWD ER hitting 300.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Actually, I haven't seen anything written about how they achieved this. It could be they decreased their buffer again, or they tweaked their algorithms for when the car is run on a dynamometer.

Regardless, as you said Ford's EPA numbers are "minimum targets" and not official from EPA yet. Darren Palmer has been vehement that reported range will exceed the targets. In fact, my best guess is that Tesla has a mole inside Ford feeding them numbers - the recent change of the Y's 0-60 time from 4.8 to 4.4 just before Ford's actual numbers came out at 4.8 is awfully suspicious, as is this sudden increase in range just before the official MME numbers come out. It could just be Musk hedging his bets, but it feels like he is reacting to known information. I really wouldn't be surprised if the RWD ER comes out with 316 miles EPA, and the AWD ER hitting 300.
i agree, the tweaks are ahead of news from other manufacturers. If the MMe AWD/ER tops 300, i’m happy.

i read the article wrong, the Model 3 got the newer hardware, the biggest presumably the heat-pump, which increased its range.

For the Model Y, the software update referenced “Your car’s range has increased with new software that improves the efficiency of the motors and the climate control systems.” And it is a 10 mile gain on the MY LR AWD.

It would be wonderful if Ford did, in fact, get close to the Model Y numbers while maintaining the 11% buffer. In a year or two we could see mileage gains via OTA as they shrink the buffer based on feedback.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
968 Posts
I'm expecting the E4X to come in over 300 and the EX at over 325. This is based on what we have seen from some vehicles driving around now. We're still awaiting the real EPA and WLTP numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts