Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get information about what and how to get my electrical needs in my garage ready for a Mach E. Does anyone have this info? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Vehicle includes an EVSE ("charger").

To add 22 miles estimated range per hour of charging, you will need an electrician to install a NEMA 14-50R receptacle/outlet, rated to 40 amperes or greater.

To add 3 miles of range per hour, simply plug the included charger directly into a standard household outlet. (Do not use extension cords or power strips.)

For anything in between those two options, you'll still need an electrician. So I'd recommend going for the first option.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
994 Posts
Our, install the Ford connected charger, charge at 30 miles per hour. This requires hiring an electrician to install a 60 volt 220 circuit and wire in the unit.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
Attached garages are not so difficult to do, as long as the service panel can handle the amperage.

If your garage is detached, like mine, adding the 60 amp circuit could get expensive.
i need to upgrade the underground wiring to my garage to handle the load. They have to trench through my back yard and under pavers. It is way too expensive an endeavor.

I’m just going to attach the charger to the side of my house off the driveway.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi @PaulaCoopwood . I'd read those other threads for sure, but also definitely recommend getting an electrician to install a 60 volt / 220 circuit to your garage. It's the same setup you'd need if you wanted to put a stove or washing machine in there.
This will make sure you have legitimately fast charges.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd read those other threads for sure, but also definitely recommend getting an electrician to install a 60 volt / 220 circuit to your garage. It's the same setup you'd need if you wanted to put a stove or washing machine in there.
That would be 60 amps and 240 volts. If considering plug in version of the chargers make sure you look at the differences between the different plugs and receptacles. 50 amp and 60 amp plugs and receptacles are different. (I'm not sure there are any 60 amp plug in chargers). With hard wired chargers you don't have to worry about plugs and receptacles, but you would not be able to use your Ford MME mobile charger on the same circuit.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That would be 60 amps and 240 volts. If considering plug in version of the chargers make sure you look at the differences between the different plugs and receptacles. 50 amp and 60 amp plugs and receptacles are different. (I'm not sure there are any 60 amp plug in chargers). With hard wired chargers you don't have to worry about plugs and receptacles, but you would not be able to use your Ford MME mobile charger on the same circuit.
Sorry, you're right. I mis-spoke.

As for the Ford MME charger, why wouldn't it work on the same circuit? Is that because it's just a 120v?

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
702 Posts
I believe the maximum plug in charger is 40 amps, a 50 amp circuit breaker is needed.

Anything above 40 amps must be hard wired.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sorry, you're right. I mis-spoke.

As for the Ford MME charger, why wouldn't it work on the same circuit? Is that because it's just a 120v?
If you want the option of both you could either run a 40A circuit to a NEMA 14-50R receptacle/outlet and another 60A circuit to a box in which you hard wire a 48A Ford Connected Charge Station. This would future proof you somewhat for a 2nd BEV later on, as well as providing a backup option.

I think (depending on your local codes) you could also run a 60A circuit/line to a switch box that feeds to the NEMA 14-50 and the Ford Connected Charge Station. The switch would allow you to use either one or the other at a time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to get information about what and how to get my electrical needs in my garage ready for a Mach E. Does anyone have this info? Thanks for your help.
Hello Paula. Kathy from Winn Electric here. We specialize in installing Level 2 EV Chargers. I'm not sure where your located though. We are located in SE Michigan. If this is your area, let me know and I can come out and give you a free estimate. The Level 2 charger is a 240V, 50amp charger that will give a range of 30 to 37 mph charging capacity. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I decided to run a 6AWG wire from my breaker box with a 50A breaker to a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I chose this route to ease the swapping out of charging stations. I also like the idea of having the plug incase the charging station fails and I need to plug the OEM charging cord into a 220 outlet.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I decided to run a 6AWG wire from my breaker box with a 50A breaker to a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I chose this route to ease the swapping out of charging stations. I also like the idea of having the plug incase the charging station fails and I need to plug the OEM charging cord into a 220 outlet.
I agree on a plug versus hard-wired. Sometimes I have to unplug my Juicebox to reset it, to stop it beeping. And if a L2 fails, it's way easier to replace with a plug in receptacle.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I agree on a plug versus hard-wired. Sometimes I have to unplug my Juicebox to reset it, to stop it beeping. And if a L2 fails, it's way easier to replace with a plug in receptacle.
And in almost 3 years I've never had to reset my Clipper Creek that's hard-wired. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I
And in almost 3 years I've never had to reset my Clipper Creek that's hard-wired. YMMV.
I have one chsrgepoint and two JB units. Only one JB needs reset but it does it every two or three weeks.

I might have purchased the wrong brands. :)

In any event, while I still prefer the flexibility of a plug in receptacle over hard wire, either is perfectly acceptable and the difference is minor.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Another consideration to remember: do you have a closed, locked garage? If you are installing in an open carport or outside of house, the wired-in units will be a greater deterrent to theft than something that is just plugged into the wall.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Another consideration to remember: do you have a closed, locked garage? If you are installing in an open carport or outside of house, the wired-in units will be a greater deterrent to theft than something that is just plugged into the wall.
Fair point. I agree in principle. Mine are out where you can steal them easily.

But I am not worried because, sadly, I am the only ev owner in the whole town...;)

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
Fair point. I agree in principle. Mine are out where you can steal them easily.

But I am not worried because, sadly, I am the only ev owner in the whole town...;)
Sadly, the same here.

In my immediate neighborhood, there are only two EV owners. On the other side of town, there are maybe a dozen more.
Hopefully, that changes in the next 12 months. I can’t use my detached garage, its too expensive to get the circuit underneath my back yard. So my charger will be on the side of the house by the driveway. I’m sure to get a unit that can be remotely disabled when i’m not using it.
But thats my paranoia and not logic speaking. Someone will steal $3 in electricity, so go spend hundreds more on a secure charger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fair point, but mine is in a locked private garage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts