Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garmin has confirmed that it's working with Ford on the next-gen Sync, which means that we're getting Garmin systems in the Mach-E.

It's going to include cloud-based mapping, routing specific for electric vehicles and accurate information on range.

"The introduction of Garmin's innovative navigation features to the SYNC platform in the Mach-E will help ensure that Ford's all electric customer base stays connected at all times," said Matt Munn, Garmin automotive OEM managing director.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I guess that's good, but I was just looking forward to being able to use Android Auto instead. Love Google Maps. My 2013 Escape doesn't have Android Auto capability though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You still can. Ford says it will support Android Auto.
Oh I know. What I meant was kinda sucks that they're throwing in a fancier nav system now when I'll finally get Android Auto and don't need it. I've got Sync 1 My Ford Touch in my 2013 Escape and the interface sucks for nav, in terms of specifying destinations. Voice entry blows, which means you really need to type in any destinations and save them as favorites first. That's tedious and annoying. Wish I could just find destinations on Google Maps on my phone then "push" it to the car nav with one simple motion.

But better too many options than not enough, I suppose.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My vehicle doesn't have Nav. For the first few years after I got it, I was able to search an address on MapQuest (IIRC) and then send those directions to my car. Though not really, it just sent them to my account at Ford... Then I'd get in the car and press the Sync button and say "navigate" or something along those lines... The car would dial out to Ford via its Bluetooth connection to my own phone. You'd hear some modem noises sometimes (though it'd try to mute it), as it connected and downloaded the steps based on my current GPS location.

Pretty old school, if you ask me! Those were the days. (2013! hahaha)

Now I can't use any of the connected features as Ford retired that whole dial-up modem based system, including the "vehicle health report" function.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I played with that Mapquest feature for maybe an hour when I first found out about it and found it so messy that I just gave up.

Paid $1100 for this nav system (IIRC) and I still just use my phone for nav 98% of the time. Although just displaying the map on the screen is still useful.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I used the MapQuest thing maybe three times, max... And just as a curiosity. It didn't add maps to the car's display, either. Just the turn by turn instructions.

The one feature I did find useful back then was to request traffic conditions to home or work. I just do that on my phone now, instead: "hey Google, traffic to work." Of course I have to shout and enunciate because the overhead microphone in the Fiesta is shoddy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh I know. What I meant was kinda sucks that they're throwing in a fancier nav system now when I'll finally get Android Auto and don't need it. I've got Sync 1 My Ford Touch in my 2013 Escape and the interface sucks for nav, in terms of specifying destinations. Voice entry blows, which means you really need to type in any destinations and save them as favorites first. That's tedious and annoying. Wish I could just find destinations on Google Maps on my phone then "push" it to the car nav with one simple motion.

But better too many options than not enough, I suppose.
I assume the Google Maps will be superior when it comes to traffic though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The nav system I have in my car uses Sirius XM for real time traffic updates. So I use Waze and Google Maps via Apple Car play instead. Since Waze has been aquired by Google they are begining to converge the two. I will be interested to see how the one in Mach-E compares when it comes to traffic.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I assume the Google Maps will be superior when it comes to traffic though.
I'll probably still use my phone to search for most destinations first. It just depends on what I'm looking for. If I already have a specific destination (say, a hotel), then it's easy. I can just tell the car that by voice and hopefully it'll have no problem finding that. But more often than not I'm just trying to find a good restaurant near a friend's house. That's when I use Google Maps on the phone to see various restaurants in the area to check ratings, menus, etc. Once I make a decision it would be nice just to push that to the nav system with a click. But I suppose just a dependable verbal name ID is good enough (like "Hey Ford, navigate to China Palace on Main Street") once I decide on a specific place.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll probably still use my phone to search for most destinations first. It just depends on what I'm looking for. If I already have a specific destination (say, a hotel), then it's easy. I can just tell the car that by voice and hopefully it'll have no problem finding that. But more often than not I'm just trying to find a good restaurant near a friend's house. That's when I use Google Maps on the phone to see various restaurants in the area to check ratings, menus, etc. Once I make a decision it would be nice just to push that to the nav system with a click. But I suppose just a dependable verbal name ID is good enough (like "Hey Ford, navigate to China Palace on Main Street") once I decide on a specific place.
I'm in the same boat as you, I search for addresses on my phone first. Then I enter it on my nav system, though sometimes i just use google maps on my phone instead.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just seen an article about Garmin/Ford in the Mach-E and the journalist talked about the advantage for Ford to get Garmin association. I never used Garmin in the pass so do you know if those have good voice application?

·
Registered
208 Posts
We'll have to wait and see on the voice recognition ("OK, Ford") and voice synthesis stuff. Ford's doing this separately from whatever Garmin had in the past.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would assume that we only get charging options en'route if we use the Ford/Garmin option and not using CarPlay or Android Auto (I dont have an EV currently but I haven't seen charger options in Waze before).

So that is potentially the largest benefit of using Ford/Garmin.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think Google Maps (Android Auto) has pretty good charging station data as well. Can always just search for "EV Charging Stations" and navigate from station to station.

And I think I read that they plan to make that a more robust option at some point too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you for sharing, but the app do not show if the station is in use or not, if I am wrong please show me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I search for "EV Charging Stations" in Google Maps, and click on one (mostly ChargePoints), it shows "Available 2/2" (or whatever the numbers). I assume the first number shows whether they're open or busy.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I search for "EV Charging Stations" in Google Maps, and click on one (mostly ChargePoints), it shows "Available 2/2" (or whatever the numbers). I assume the first number shows whether they're open or busy.
Yeah I think in that example it means that 2 out of 2 stations are available.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts