Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen numerous messages on here, other sites, and social media stating frustration about a lack of details from Ford on the Mach-E, but I’m starting to get past annoyed and into angry. Perhaps my frustrations aren’t completely warranted, but I feel like, as a reservation holder at least, we should have had more details and/or communication to this point.

I’m not mad about things possibly being delayed because of current affairs, however I feel like Ford is ghosting me. For instance, Ford said they would send emails to reservation holders each month. These emails were fairly simple but still fun. I did not get an email in March or April. Nothing at all.

I’m still very excited about the prospect of owning a Mach-E, my first EV but I’m seriously considering other vehicles. Ford doesn’t “need” my purchase but I’m a faithful Ford owner and a Mach-E reservation holder and feel that I deserve, at the very least, the promised email each month.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I hope I’m not just being dramatic and sound spoiled. Come on Ford! Throw me a bone here. 🥺

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I believe it's past time for the marketing and sales people to get going. 50K people have given Ford $500 each to hold a place in line for a Mach-E. That's $25M. You would think they could start the conversation, either through email, snail mail, or their dealerships. Not that I'm going to give up but, echo the frustration with Ford Sales and Marketing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe it's past time for the marketing and sales people to get going. 50K people have given Ford $500 each to hold a place in line for a Mach-E. That's $25M.
Actually, we have absolutely NO IDEA how many people have made a reservation.

We know reservation numbers are (kind of) incremental but have no way to deduce whether they are sequential. The only thing we DO know is what Ford has said, time and time again, i.e. that they are NOT sequential.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Actually, we have absolutely NO IDEA how many people have made a reservation.

We know reservation numbers are (kind of) incremental but have no way to deduce whether they are sequential. The only thing we DO know is what Ford has said, time and time again, i.e. that they are NOT sequential.
On reservations, I think it is most definitely over 40k, if not 50k. even with the cancellation ‘blip’ in March (Ford’s word, not mine), Ford said they have returned to their normal pace. Whether or not the orders are fully sequential, all evidence we have collected indicates they are close to it.

As for the lack of contact, it is a valid concern we all share. On Ford’s corporate website, there is a ‘contact us’ form we all can fill out to hopefully elicit action.

Ford does release details about production, plans, etc, to their investors and the press. All they have to do is send an email with much the same information to reservation holders. They can also Update the ‘build your own’ so we can Preview what options are coming (its too far down the road for them not to know).

And, after Ford starts generating revenue again, a nice, glossy brochure in the mail (with new, never before seen photos) for us to show off to our friends!

To Ford: I expect someone from marketing reviews these forums, as you do other social media ( if not, someone should seriously be in trouble). Don’t leave it up to the Dealerships, they just keep saying they are waiting for your lead.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Regardless of how many reservations there are, the marketing department has indeed fallen down on the job. The 2 emails they did send were simply links to EXISTING stuff on their website that was posted November 17th. They CLEARLY know what options packages are available as some dealerships like Sheehy in Virginia have posted dribs of that kind of information in piecemeal fashion (but without pricing). I know an e-book is available to the dealers, but the "expert" at my selected dealership couldn't figure it out - he insisted that memory seats are not an option on the select but that heated seats are - in direct contradiction to what's on the ford.com spec sheet, so he is obviously useless. Rather than make us jump through hoops, why not disseminate that information directly to the people who have proven they are interested enough to plunk some cash down- if only to keep up that interest? I understand that they don't have final specs yet as testing is still ongoing, but even the "compute your payments" option they added recently is half-assed since it has nothing about the special 4 year lease.

Like those of you above I don't want to seem like I am throwing a tantrum, but when available information is deliberately withheld due to carelessness it is irritating. In this financial climate, I am seriously thinking twice about committing to buying a car whose future value is a huge question mark My wife is on furlough and it is entirely plausible that the small company she works for will not survive this (kids nursery school and play place a'la gymboree), and my own job has less security than one would hope. I am concerned I will be saddled with a payment that I can't get away from (because I owe more than the car is worth) if the worst happens, and Ford is doing very little to keep me from pulling the plug on my reservation. I cannot be the only one thinking this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for the lack of contact, it is a valid concern we all share. On Ford’s corporate website, there is a ‘contact us’ form we all can fill out to hopefully elicit action.

Ford does release details about production, plans, etc, to their investors and the press. All they have to do is send an email with much the same information to reservation holders. They can also Update the ‘build your own’ so we can Preview what options are coming (its too far down the road for them not to know).

And, after Ford starts generating revenue again, a nice, glossy brochure in the mail (with new, never before seen photos) for us to show off to our friends!

To Ford: I expect someone from marketing reviews these forums, as you do other social media ( if not, someone should seriously be in trouble). Don’t leave it up to the Dealerships, they just keep saying they are waiting for your lead.
I agree. They should know by now exactly what kind of additional options they plan to offer by trim level but we are still stuck with a build site where you can only change batter size and AWD or RWD. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who feels we’re being neglected.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I talked to my dealer and they said they were going to send out monthly updates but I only got one email. I agree they need to do a better job otherwise I'm going to cancel because I don't know if I want to commit to something this big because it's so crazy right now. I don't have to get a new car right now but a 0% for 84 months offer would go a long way to helping me make a decision. :)

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
On reservations, I think it is most definitely over 40k, if not 50k. even with the cancellation ‘blip’ in March (Ford’s word, not mine), Ford said they have returned to their normal pace. Whether or not the orders are fully sequential, all evidence we have collected indicates they are close to it.

ALSO TO FORD MARKETING: With your 50k reservist you have a very loyal Ford base, you have people itching to have a 300 mile BEV, you have Tesla customers wanting a local dealership; there are many different personalities and reasons in the 50K. However, you also have these excited people TALKING to their friends, neighbors, and acquaintances about their reserving and purchasing a Mach-E. The one thing you do NOT want to do is irritate the 50K. It's BAD press and poor customer service.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maybe someone can explain this to me. If your unsure about the financial situation of buying the car, how is a lack of information affecting that? You know the price of the car. Either you can afford it or not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe someone can explain this to me. If your unsure about the financial situation of buying the car, how is a lack of information affecting that? You know the price of the car. Either you can afford it or not.
Personally, I’m not concerned with being able to afford it. I’m worried about the dealership or the finance company trying to screw me over. I’m trying to stay cautiously optimistic. I can’t speak for anyone else though.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Of course, no one should commit to a 55k+ purchase if their financials are in question. And I don’t think anyone here would.

There are many of us here in this forum that do not ‘need’ a new car. Therefore, it’s a discretionary purchase that some are reconsidering because of the current state of the world. Ford says their dealer network and established business is its advantage over the competitors, yet Ford fails to disseminate information to keep potential customers (with enough interest they put in a paid reservation) briefed and allay any doubts that arise.

Not trying to bash Ford, just wishing they would include us in the conversation.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
237 Posts
Of course, no one should commit to a 55k+ purchase if their financials are in question. And I don’t think anyone here would.

There are many of us here in this forum that do not ‘need’ a new car. Therefore, it’s a discretionary purchase that some are reconsidering because of the current state of the world. Ford says their dealer network and established business is its advantage over the competitors, yet Ford fails to disseminate information to keep potential customers (with enough interest they put in a paid reservation) briefed and allay any doubts that arise.

Not trying to bash Ford, just wishing they would include us in the conversation.
That just wasn't the impression I was getting by some of the comments.

I don't have the same attitude as most in this forum, but that doesn't mean your concerns aren't valid. Me personally, I know car manufacturers don't typically develop cars in the public. I went through this same thing with the Chevy Volt when it was being developed. GM struggled with sharing information; against their norm. Tesla also does not share much information on cars between announcement and release to reservation holders.

Dealerships are always going to be an issue as far as I'm concerned. I took my C-Max in for an oil change and the guy told me it needed a transmission flush. The car had been out for 5 years at that point and he should have known it's a sealed system.

I'm not trying to be an apologist. Maybe I just have my expectations already set differently?

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
That just wasn't the impression I was getting by some of the comments.

I don't have the same attitude as most in this forum, but that doesn't mean your concerns aren't valid. Me personally, I know car manufacturers don't typically develop cars in the public. I went through this same thing with the Chevy Volt when it was being developed. GM struggled with sharing information; against their norm. Tesla also does not share much information on cars between announcement and release to reservation holders.

Dealerships are always going to be an issue as far as I'm concerned. I took my C-Max in for an oil change and the guy told me it needed a transmission flush. The car had been out for 5 years at that point and he should have known it's a sealed system.

I'm not trying to be an apologist. Maybe I just have my expectations already set differently?
Understood.

I guess my expectations were raised because Darren Palmer at Ford has said multiple times in multiple interviews: Their approach throughout the process for the MMe has been Customer First.

Maybe too much to hope for that it actually includes the Customer?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I can afford the Select model, even without my wife working - her job basically pays for cruises, big christmases, all the bonus stuff. I am extremely fortunate: I have a good job, my mortgage is about to be paid off, and we have only a moderate amount of consumer debt. However, like most non-retired people if I lose my job for a year, then the situation changes.

It is a case of "comfort": most of what has come from Ford is vagaries and noncommittals, and what little they have said they would do by now they haven't - and yes I understand the covid-19 has thrown that for a loop but they certainly can make information they already have accessible. For example their expressed view on order deposits is that those are an agreement between dealer and you, and Ford has nothing to do with whether those will be refundable or not. Talking to my dealer he doesn't have a clue. Based on what is happening in the Netherlands it doesn't look good, but that could be a "special" situation due to an expiring tax incentive - but since Ford says nothing publicly who knows?

In my case I also commute a 100 miles a day, so depending on actual range and effects from things like climate control the SR battery in a select may or may not be sufficient in winter, and I might have to get a Route 1 because the ER premium is too expensive for the NJ EV rebate. Or, if I can get heated seats and the SR battery meets or exceeds the 230 mile "target" I should be fine. I may or may not know those things by the time Ford USA starts insisting we commit to orders.

In the end I don't "have" to get this car, but I do like what little I have seen so far (even the interior on the show cars is not the real thing). I also really want to get a BEV, and if I can take advantage of uncle sam giving me $7500 I sure don't want to walk away from that. However, it is starting to look less and less likely that there is a need to preorder in order to get that government incentive; I have a feeling they won't hit the limit until well into 2022. So it comes down to being motivated to pull the trigger on the order conversion next month rather than waiting until next year when I can test driver it and read reviews detailing actual performance. Given those uncertainties, Ford is doing a poor job convincing me to write a deposit check next month.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can afford the Select model, even without my wife working - her job basically pays for cruises, big christmases, all the bonus stuff. I am extremely fortunate: I have a good job, my mortgage is about to be paid off, and we have only a moderate amount of consumer debt. However, like most non-retired people if I lose my job for a year, then the situation changes.

It is a case of "comfort": most of what has come from Ford is vagaries and noncommittals, and what little they have said they would do by now they haven't - and yes I understand the covid-19 has thrown that for a loop but they certainly can make information they already have accessible. For example their expressed view on order deposits is that those are an agreement between dealer and you, and Ford has nothing to do with whether those will be refundable or not. Talking to my dealer he doesn't have a clue. Based on what is happening in the Netherlands it doesn't look good, but that could be a "special" situation due to an expiring tax incentive - but since Ford says nothing publicly who knows?

In my case I also commute a 100 miles a day, so depending on actual range and effects from things like climate control the SR battery in a select may or may not be sufficient in winter, and I might have to get a Route 1 because the ER premium is too expensive for the NJ EV rebate. Or, if I can get heated seats and the SR battery meets or exceeds the 230 mile "target" I should be fine. I may or may not know those things by the time Ford USA starts insisting we commit to orders.

In the end I don't "have" to get this car, but I do like what little I have seen so far (even the interior on the show cars is not the real thing). I also really want to get a BEV, and if I can take advantage of uncle sam giving me $7500 I sure don't want to walk away from that. However, it is starting to look less and less likely that there is a need to preorder in order to get that government incentive; I have a feeling they won't hit the limit until well into 2022. So it comes down to being motivated to pull the trigger on the order conversion next month rather than waiting until next year when I can test driver it and read reviews detailing actual performance. Given those uncertainties, Ford is doing a poor job convincing me to write a deposit check next month.
Agree with just about everything you said.....Ford should realize that they MAY have 50,000 or so folks who, in these unpredictable times, may be ready to spend on a totally new car, although I am not upset for the lack of info/communication, MORE WOULD BE BETTER, no doubt......it seems that they would go out of their way to continue to court us, if for no other reason than 50,000 times $500 is $25 million, what's the interest on that!!!hahaha........on another note, charged my c max energi yesterday, here in nj temps were over 70 degrees, and for the first time this year my battery read 32 miles.....yes I know that total is a prediction based on past driving, but it is fun to see......based on the local driving I do, I can usually get what the battery estimate is or more, yea.....take care all

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well that's pretty much a blow-off. "We'll let you know when we're ready to take your money," said Ford. How about some updates on production, COVID-19 effects, possible engineering changes, etc?
Yep. My thought reading that was: "Seems like they are taking my purchase for granted and assuming the sale is a foregone conclusion. Perhaps I should do the smart thing and cancel my preorder and wait until 2021 when I know a lot more about both the economy and the actual car (as opposed to vague targets)". That may sound spiteful or childish, but I don't need to buy a car this winter and made the preorder on an impulse. Ever since I did my wife has not missed an opportunity to point out how bad an idea it is to buy an early unit of a new model's first-year, and has been adding to that her concern over the economy. The only reason I haven't cancelled yet is that I want to ensure I get the federal tax credit, but after learning more it is clear that incentive will be around well into 2022.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Yep. My thought reading that was: "Seems like they are taking my purchase for granted and assuming the sale is a foregone conclusion. Perhaps I should do the smart thing and cancel my preorder and wait until 2021 when I know a lot more about both the economy and the actual car (as opposed to vague targets)". That may sound spiteful or childish, but I don't need to buy a car this winter and made the preorder on an impulse. Ever since I did my wife has not missed an opportunity to point out how bad an idea it is to buy an early unit of a new model's first-year, and has been adding to that her concern over the economy. The only reason I haven't cancelled yet is that I want to ensure I get the federal tax credit, but after learning more it is clear that incentive will be around well into 2022.
Sorry to see you go. I guess Ford is OK with reservists turnover. Just seems like a poor marketing strategy. Big introduction; followed by plenty of hype from the industry's magazines; then, pretty much nothing. Nothing about how MMe is effected by COVID-19. Nothing on pre-production changes, nothing on final configurations, nothing on scheduling, nothing. And; from your perspective, you are gaining nothing; no first hand customer knowledge (marketing info), no customer pre-product feedback, no MMe competitor feedback from customer. Yes, we ARE customers ($500). Much the pity, FORD.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts