Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Star White Prem AWD EX ordered 11/12/21
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expected someone would have posted about this news by now. If I missed the post, my apologies.

This news (see link below) came out last week at a dealer's convention in Las Vegas. I really like the dealer I have and will be very unhappy with Ford if my dealer drops EVs. because of this. I'm curious what others think about it? I like the idea of getting more fast chargers out there. In my area, there are few, if any, to be found with most of the ones out there being 6 or 11 kw. However, the new requirements also concern me. How many dealers are going to pay the suggested $1,000,000 or greater price tag to sell and service EVs? It is very difficult to even get an EV around here to begin with. We all know about the long wait for the MME. While I waited for mine, I had learned from the dealer that they had a number of people wanting the new Lightning but they were allowed only ONE vehicle to order and sell this entire calendar year. At that rate, it takes a long time to pay off $1,000,000. I live in a very rural area. The town where the dealer is located has a population of 4,500 people. The dealer does move a lot of vehicles and, hopefully, they can do the same with EVs assuming they can get them. So, after saying all that, my primary concern is that this could cause my dealer to stop selling EVs. If that happens, I assume they will not service my MME and the next closest dealer would be at least an hour away. So, I'm concerned. Did Ford put enough thought into this decision? (Maybe it's not a big deal in large, metropolitan areas.) Are there cheaper/easier ways for dealers to comply? Does Ford care that this could leave some of us without a local dealer to service our vehicles?

I'm curious to hear thoughts from others.

Ford Gives Dealers Six Weeks To Decide If They Want To Continue Selling EVs

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Going forward, by 2030 if the dealer does not have the facilities in place for EV's, what is he going to sell?

Ford has made a commitment to EVs and away from ICE. You, me and the dealer knows this. So this is no surprise to the dealer.

So if your dealer wants to continue as a Ford dealer he has no choice. If he does not want to make the commitment, I suspect he will sell the dealership to some one who does.

In New York we had a similar situation with the NY Mets: The Wilpons (prior owners) were not in a position to make the financial commitments necessary for a successful baseball team. The Mets were sold to Steve Cohen and two years later, with a large financial commitment from Cohen, the Mets are in first place.

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
There is a lower-cost $500k option, the dealer doesn’t have to commit to the $1m+ Elite status. All options include training of EV tech personnel, shop modifications, branding, and public charging infrastructure.

From what I read, the biggest cost-difference between normal and Elite status is the charging infrastructure. Normal requires only one publicly available high-power DCFC charger (I assume 350kW, based on the cost-commitment), the Elite requires two, and another smaller unit in the shop. But if they are not Elite status, they will have a hard-cap on how many EVs they are allocated.

I hope Ford Credit extends dealerships special rates for loans to help fund this transition .

More details here:
Ford Gives Dealers Six Weeks To Decide If They Want To Continue Selling EVs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts