Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Charging sites are getting a lot more popular. Even Walmarts are starting to put them in all across the country. What one of the big oil companies needs to do is add one at all of their existing gas stations. So basically anywhere there's a gas station, there's also an electric car charger.

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charging sites are getting a lot more popular. Even Walmarts are starting to put them in all across the country. What one of the big oil companies needs to do is add one at all of their existing gas stations. So basically anywhere there's a gas station, there's also an electric car charger.
I have been thinking that exact same thing. Especially where there are gas stations on toll road plazas. Why they don't have them or start having them there I don't understand.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It is strange. The conspiracy theorists will tell you its big oil, etc.

But the reality is, the big oil companies are the ones buying up the EV charging station companies. So it's really all the same place.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
994 Posts
I have been thinking that exact same thing. Especially where there are gas stations on toll road plazas. Why they don't have them or start having them there I don't understand.
Royal Farms stores here in the east coast region have invested heavily in Level 3 charging stations. By knowing these stores, which sell gas, miscellaneous goods, and food (famous for their chicken) are a reliable place to charge up and come in for a bite is a real win for them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the cost of a charging station is about $150,000, so that could be the hold-up.

·
Super Moderator
1,201 Posts
I believe the cost of a charging station is about $150,000, so that could be the hold-up.
Just wondering where you came across that $ figure? Also, Is that estimate for the entire location, meaning multiple charge bays, or per charger?

·
Registered
994 Posts
It depends on speed and faster is more expensive. This article lists the costs for units as
50 kW: $28K
150 kW: $75K
350 kW: $140K

Installation costs are a little more for higher speed but the real driver of installation is the number of units, with the per unit cost of 3 or more 350 kWs being less than the single installation of a 50 kW. Installation ranges $17K-66K per unit.

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just wondering where you came across that $ figure? Also, Is that estimate for the entire location, meaning multiple charge bays, or per charger?
It was in an internet article I saw a few days ago, stating that converting gas stations to hybrid gas/ev had a cost estimate of that much per gas station, so it would be for multiple bays...but didn't specify how many.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts