Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Premium Extended Range AWD
Infinite Blue, Light Space Grey
Reservation ID # 10068026
Reservation Date: 29 April 2020
Scheduled Production Date: 17 January 2021

So looks a like late January ~ early February delivery. Will be freaking out about salt/rocks/grime on the Hudson Valley roads before we can get the ceramic coating on.

So it's earlier than expected but not so early that we can capture the tax credits for 2020. Certainly it looks like it'll be before Ford runs out of credits.

The waiting just got harder. In the meantime my wife (primary driver of the car), will test drive a model Y just so she can get a reference point.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
869 Posts

So looks a like late January ~ early February delivery. Will be freaking out about salt/rocks/grime on the Hudson Valley roads before we can get the ceramic coating on.

So it's earlier than expected but not so early that we can capture the tax credits for 2020. Certainly it looks like it'll be before Ford runs out of credits.

The waiting just got harder. In the meantime my wife (primary driver of the car), will test drive a model Y just so she can get a reference point.
Just so you are aware:

• Presently Ford has available over 75,000 Federal Tax credits remaining. More than enough for MME deliveries in 2020, 2021 and into the beginning of 2022.
  • If you register your car in 2021, the Federal Tax credit will apply to your 2021 income/taxes not 2020.

.I think that makes sense: Drive both the Model Y and MME and then decide which you prefer!

·
Registered
Grabber Blue FE
107 Posts

Model Y drives very nice. I will tell you the MachE build quality is better. I had a Y on order but cancelled because Tesla can't seem to get a car off the line without multiple quality issues. I've been to two MachE Road Show events and seen 5 different MachEs and the fit and finish as well as paint and panel gaps were excellent.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Model Y drives very nice. I will tell you the MachE build quality is better. I had a Y on order but cancelled because Tesla can't seem to get a car off the line without multiple quality issues. I've been to two MachE Road Show events and seen 5 different MachEs and the fit and finish as well as paint and panel gaps were excellent.
Not to be a contrarian:

There is no question that the original Model Y had severe quality control issues. It is not necessary to list them here as all you have to do is google: "Model Y problems."

I have been following the trials and tribulations of Model Y owners and the quality control issues on YouTube.com.

Beginning in mid-October, that would be build dates starting in mid-September, according to the postings on YouTube.com, 99% of those original quality control issues have been corrected.

Those posting have the owners of later build cars going over the Model Y with a "fine tooth comb" and concluding that Tesla has addressed those original quality control issues.

What of course remains is:

• Minimalistic interior - which some would call "cheap"
  • Everything controlled by the screen - no bottoms for common adjustments like outside mirrors
  • Lane departure warning in the big screen and not on the mirrors as every other manufacturer does
  • Styling - imo the MME has the Model Y beat hands down
  • Impossible to see out of rear window
Before I buy the MME I will drive the Model Y and see which I prefer and of course check out for myself the quality of materials and fit and finish of both cars.

·
Registered
Grabber Blue FE
107 Posts
Not to be a contrarian:

There is no question that the original Model Y had severe quality control issues. It is not necessary to list them here as all you have to do is google: "Model Y problems."

I have been following the trials and tribulations of Model Y owners and the quality control issues on YouTube.com.

Beginning in mid-October, that would be build dates starting in mid-September, according to the postings on YouTube.com, 99% of those original quality control issues have been corrected.

Those posting have the owners of later build cars going over the Model Y with a "fine tooth comb" and concluding that Tesla has addressed those original quality control issues.

What of course remains is:

• Minimalistic interior - which some would call "cheap"
  • Everything controlled by the screen - no bottoms for common adjustments like outside mirrors
  • Lane departure warning in the big screen and not on the mirrors as every other manufacturer does
  • Styling - imo the MME has the Model Y beat hands down
  • Impossible to see out of rear window
Before I buy the MME I will drive the Model Y and see which I prefer and of course check out for myself the quality of materials and fit and finish of both cars.

Good to hear. Their paint quality is still terrible though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do think it's important to test drive the most closely competing products with an open mind. It would take a lot to change our mind but the initial decision was based on our "paper comparisons" below (our opinion/projection only):

MME advantages:
  • Styling
  • User Interface (MY nearly everything on the single center screen is almost a non-starter for my wife)
  • Local dealership (nearest Tesla dealer is an hour drive away).
  • Build/Paint quality (most likely but not a definite)

MY advantages:
  • proven battery + power train
  • Range (most likely but the MME could still end up with a close real world range)
  • Charging network (Supercharger + everything available to MME, always going to be better)
Different list for different folks based on what's important for them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I do think it's important to test drive the most closely competing products with an open mind. It would take a lot to change our mind but the initial decision was based on our "paper comparisons" below (our opinion/projection only):

MME advantages:
  • Styling
  • User Interface (MY nearly everything on the single center screen is almost a non-starter for my wife)
  • Local dealership (nearest Tesla dealer is an hour drive away).
  • Build/Paint quality (most likely but not a definite)

MY advantages:
  • proven battery + power train
  • Range (most likely but the MME could still end up with a close real world range)
  • Charging network (Supercharger + everything available to MME, always going to be better)
Different list for different folks based on what's important for them.
I think you have hit the highlights of both cars.

However, I would add in favor of the MY: lease option.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
At some point, charging stations will be defined a utility services, and then they may be mandated to make these stations standardized and available to non-Tesla vehicles. This is what EU regulators made Tesla do.
Without wanting to go way off subject, and while I agree with you in principal, at this point in time I see little difference between a charging station and a gas filing station: neither are presently defined as a "utility service".

Keep in mind that gas filing stations were originally owed by the oil companies and they wanted the stations to sell as much gasoline as possible. That is not the case with EV's where the power must be purchased from a provider.

We can debate the pros and cons, and again I agree with you, but with Congress where it is, making Tesla change to a universal fittings, I can already hear the arguments, that is taking of "property without compensation".

In the EU they demanded, before any sales by Tesla, that their cars had universal fittings.

In the short and long run, what the EU did, was far better than what we have here.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually... I think a network of purpose built charging stations may be a short lived phenomena.

It's not as if we're limited to trucks bringing 3,000 gallons of fuel to filling stations, electricity is available practically everywhere. Yet the model is similar to the one we're accustomed from the days of ICE vehicles.

What we are beginning to see... and what I think we'll be seeing more of, are a bank of chargers distributed across places of work, schools, restaurants, gyms, movie theatres (if they ever come back), grocery stores, shopping malls, barbers/salons, nail shops, etc, etc. Apartment dwellers won't have to worry about not having charging at home.

I think we may see things like.... x minutes of free fast charging with a purchase of a meal, xx KWH free charging/month for members...

There will be some charging stations but mostly along the interstates.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
927 Posts
Actually... I think a network of purpose built charging stations may be a short lived phenomena.

It's not as if we're limited to trucks bringing 3,000 gallons of fuel to filling stations, electricity is available practically everywhere. Yet the model is similar to the one we're accustomed from the days of ICE vehicles.

What we are beginning to see... and what I think we'll be seeing more of, are a bank of chargers distributed across places of work, schools, restaurants, gyms, movie theatres (if they ever come back), grocery stores, shopping malls, barbers/salons, nail shops, etc, etc. Apartment dwellers won't have to worry about not having charging at home.

I think we may see things like.... x minutes of free fast charging with a purchase of a meal, xx KWH free charging/month for members...

There will be some charging stations but mostly along the interstates.
Addressing the point of charging slots at stores, malls etc. When I was living in Corvallis Oregon, one of the supermarket chains, Tillamook Dairy and a winery that I frequented had limited plug in chargers. In all three locations the EV slots were closest to the entrance. Anyone care to guess what the result was? When it rained, which is all the time in OR. or when the lots were full, the spots were filled with non EVs or non plug in Hybrids. When I inquired the response was that "we don't have a mechanism to enforce it" and while there is a section of the vehicle code that makes it a finable offense good luck getting local LEOs to enforce the code. It was infuriating to make the drive to the winery which was within the electric range of my PHEV where if I charged I could return home on electric only to find an ICE vehicle in the slots. I guess that if some brain dead self serving dipstick will park in a Handicapped slot I shouldn't expect much when it comes to charging slots at shopping areas.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Addressing the point of charging slots at stores, malls etc. When I was living in Corvallis Oregon, one of the supermarket chains, Tillamook Dairy and a winery that I frequented had limited plug in chargers. In all three locations the EV slots were closest to the entrance. Anyone care to guess what the result was? When it rained, which is all the time in OR. or when the lots were full, the spots were filled with non EVs or non plug in Hybrids. When I inquired the response was that "we don't have a mechanism to enforce it" and while there is a section of the vehicle code that makes it a finable offense good luck getting local LEOs to enforce the code. It was infuriating to make the drive to the winery which was within the electric range of my PHEV where if I charged I could return home on electric only to find an ICE vehicle in the slots. I guess that if some brain dead self serving dipstick will park in a Handicapped slot I shouldn't expect much when it comes to charging slots at shopping areas.
Perhaps a positive outcome from the pandemic will be broke local governments writing $200 tickets to ICE vehicles parked in EV charge spots. 😁😁😁

·
Registered
19 Posts

Our MMEs are scheduled to be built the same week. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts