Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reserved mine after thinking hard about the Model Y or the Audi E-tron Fastback. Confess I have owned many a Ford in the past, but have been very concerned if Ford can figure out how to build a great EV AND provide the customer experience EV owners want (hint: approach Tesla took without the crazy silicon valley stuff). I drive a 2014 Fusion Energi plug in Hybrid and love the car for low-cost commute to work (80mpg avg)...but for the fact Ford did not know how to deal with an EV. Two main issues:

1) My battery had a 21 mile range when I got it in 2014 but has degraded by 50% at 100,000 miles going only 10-12 miles (don't worry, it goes into "hybrid mode" at 40mpg after the plug in battery is used up). Despite the dealership going to bat for me several times, Ford would not acknowledge a battery problem or take care of the issue (I just could not let go 50% degradation over 100,000 miles was acceptable).

2) Early Sync back in 2014 (and earlier such as in my 2011 Edge) had HORRIBLE software system and no way to upgrade to better Sync versions later. It was as if they wanted us to buy new cars to rid ourselves of miserable electronics package after 2-3 years or something?

But the awesome service from my Dealership over time, my historical great experience with Ford quality (but for above issues in early EV attempts) and the fact they seem to have really figured out how to deliver a serious Tesla competitor with looks, performance, range and electronics, I decided to go all in on the Mach E GT! Can't wait until they have Mach E on the lot to test drive sometime this year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ouch, that is pretty disconcerting. Concern over battery longevity is why I decided to lease first; I figure if all is well after 48 months I'll buy out the car at the residual. If not, I can just walk away and get something else. I know it will cost more in the long run over a straight buy, but the peace of mind of having an out after 4 years is comforting

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ouch, that is pretty disconcerting. Concern over battery longevity is why I decided to lease first; I figure if all is well after 48 months I'll buy out the car at the residual. If not, I can just walk away and get something else. I know it will cost more in the long run over a straight buy, but the peace of mind of having an out after 4 years is comforting
Peace of mind concerning what?
The cost of having to replace the battery if it gets below levels that are acceptable for you? And what kind of level is that, considering all EVs now have a battery warranty which is valid for ~8 years and will replace the battery for free if it degrades more than ~30%?

Even if that happened, you'd pay for a new battery, you would HAVE a competely new battery and it still would have cost you the same or less as it would with leasing*.

I understand leasing for other reasons (e.g. don't want to give the money up front as you will better invest it elsewhere) but not peace of mind regarding financial reasons. Whatever happens with the battery or the car's resale value etc., there's no way leasing will have been a better option financially.

*At least based on what leasing usually costs in this part of the world, which is about a +50% markup of straight out buying the car.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another future Mach-E owner here.

I guess what I like about Ford's approach to the Mach-E is that Ford KNOWS how to get performance vehicles right. They invest a lot of capital into making great high-performance versions of the Mustang, F-150 and Focus to help sell the regular versions. And here Ford looks like they've applied that theory again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1) My battery had a 21 mile range when I got it in 2014 but has degraded by 50% at 100,000 miles going only 10-12 miles (don't worry, it goes into "hybrid mode" at 40mpg after the plug in battery is used up). Despite the dealership going to bat for me several times, Ford would not acknowledge a battery problem or take care of the issue (I just could not let go 50% degradation over 100,000 miles was acceptable).
I'm curious, what was the warranty on the battery? The Fusion and C-Max do not have liquid thermal management, it just used air fans. Do you live in a hot environment? The Mach-E uses liquid cooling/heating to manage the battery so that aspect will be better.

2) Early Sync back in 2014 (and earlier such as in my 2011 Edge) had HORRIBLE software system and no way to upgrade to better Sync versions later. It was as if they wanted us to buy new cars to rid ourselves of miserable electronics package after 2-3 years or something?
They didn't get My Ford Touch right until ~2015. Ever since its been stable for me...mostly. But I will say, all car manufacturers did/do the same thing as far as upgradeability. You buy the car and that's it...until Tesla.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Peace of mind concerning what?
The cost of having to replace the battery if it gets below levels that are acceptable for you? And what kind of level is that, considering all EVs now have a battery warranty which is valid for ~8 years and will replace the battery for free if it degrades more than ~30%?

Even if that happened, you'd pay for a new battery, you would HAVE a competely new battery and it still would have cost you the same or less as it would with leasing*.

I understand leasing for other reasons (e.g. don't want to give the money up front as you will better invest it elsewhere) but not peace of mind regarding financial reasons. Whatever happens with the battery or the car's resale value etc., there's no way leasing will have been a better option financially.

*At least based on what leasing usually costs in this part of the world, which is about a +50% markup of straight out buying the car.
I guess you've never heard the adage "never buy the first year's production of a new model". Who knows what kinds of problems the E will have, including design defects that can't just be "fixed". I am a pessimist by nature, and it makes me feel better to know if the car is a lemon or the resale is horrible I can walk away from it. You don't have to agree with me, and that's fine. Nonetheless, leasing is not a 50% markup where I live.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses and welcomes!

Just a few thoughts on all the above:

• The battery warranty on the Fusion Energy was basically defined as "failure" (zero miles on plug in charge) and the warranty (never given in writing that I could find) did not cover rapid battery degradation and set failure bar at zero rather than a below a reasonable %. But other than feeling angry every time I see the battery charge is 50% of when I got the car (just hit 100K miles), I do love the car otherwise. I live in Colorado so not too hot or too cold and I think my root cause was Ford did not cool the battery well nor did it limit full charge and discharge with software so with such a short range as I fully charged and depleted battery 2x daily to/from work.
  • Agree they did not get Sync right and to update software yourself you had to use a flash drive and leave the car running. They got better with every version.
  • I too plan to lease the car so I can decide to walk away if I am not happy with anything (it is first really all-electric from Ford...trust but verify). When lease is up I can decide if worth buying out or getting something new.
I do have to say from what I can tell, Ford borrowed liberally from the user experience bar set by Tesla and tried to raise the bar with electronics system/UI, OTA updates of software, good looks, driver assist featues, crazy fast acceleration and 200-300 range. Now I just dread waiting until this time next year for my car, googling pictures every few days and drooling... :cool:

Thanks everyone for making this an interesting and non-troll experience!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Welcome to the forum! For me when it comes to software in cars, things develop so quickly it's hard for me to compare it to previous years. I think Ford will get it right with the new SYNC. As for the battery, we'll have to wait until proper testing to see if Ford can deliver on the range numbers. Tesla can't be the only ones that can get a lot of range out of their cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think that it should be better to get the software from a platform already on the market as Google, Amazone, Apple or Microsoft, and why not Samsung! Those have experience already and will be compatible with their applications. Volvo will get Google on their future EV,

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sync 4 appears to be a complete rewrite, or at least complete divergence from sync 3. It may be based on an existing platform like android, but since Ford hasn't mentioned it I don't think it is. As a software engineer with 35 years experience, I know there will be lots of bugs for quite some time - but I am OK with that because I figure I am being paid $7500 to beta test the first release. I just hope there is a way to control the auto updates; I don't want to be the beta tester for every release.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts