Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Current; 17' Escape SE AWD (Soon to be traded in!)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still waiting on my Mach-E to arrive and I wanted to prepare. I have purchased a Grizzle-E home charger and will be setting it up for 32amp max. I will be running a new line from my breakerbox to the garage with 6/3 cable to a 14-50 outlet specifically for the charger.
My electrician buddy say's it needs a gfci breaker but the Grizzl-e has one built in. The local acceptable codes in my area says the GFCI is only needed in a "wet" environment such as a pool or spa.
I don't mind spending the money for the breaker, but I have read on several forums that the GFCI can false trip if there is one already in the charger.
I just don't want to wake up to a car that stopped charging because of a false trip at the breaker.

Tony

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am still waiting on my Mach-E to arrive and I wanted to prepare. I have purchased a Grizzle-E home charger and will be setting it up for 32amp max. I will be running a new line from my breakerbox to the garage with 6/3 cable to a 14-50 outlet specifically for the charger.
My electrician buddy say's it needs a gfci breaker but the Grizzl-e has one built in. The local acceptable codes in my area says the GFCI is only needed in a "wet" environment such as a pool or spa.
I don't mind spending the money for the breaker, but I have read on several forums that the GFCI can false trip if there is one already in the charger.
I just don't want to wake up to a car that stopped charging because of a false trip at the breaker.

Tony
The Grizzle-E charger manual that is available on the company website says do not provide additional GFCI protection upstream of the charging unit. I have a Juice Box 40 and their manual says the same thing. I suppose if an electrician or inspector objects, have a copy of the manual to show them.

·
Registered
Current; 17' Escape SE AWD (Soon to be traded in!)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Grizzle-E charger manual that is available on the company website says do not provide additional GFCI protection upstream of the charging unit. I have a Juice Box 40 and their manual says the same thing. I suppose if an electrician or inspector objects, have a copy of the manual to show them.
Thanks for that info, have the unit in the box and never bothered to look at the manual yet.

Tony

·
Registered
198 Posts

Tony
I followed local code and had the electrician put a GFCI 50 amp beaker in my panel (also following Ford's recommendation that you use a GFCI breaker with their Mobile Charger). I've had my car for about three months now and there is no accidental tripping or "confusion" on the Ford Mobile Charger or breaker. If you have your 14-50 outlet inspected be sure that you follow local code. Since your Grizzl-E has a GFCI breaker internally like my Ford charger I think the situations are similar. You will get a lot of controversy on the board about this but I still go with your electrician to follow the local codes so you don't get red tagged upon inspection. You can show him the Grizzl- E recommendation NOT to use GFCI breaker with your charger if he threatens to red tag the job and see if this makes a difference. Also, I don't know if the garage floor ever gets wet if that's an out for you on not using a GFCI breaker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts