Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
What Fordpass needs is a user review system of charge stations so we know which ones to avoid.
It's already there, in part.

Ford is displaying PlugShare data in its station search results, including photos and reviews from site users. I'm not sure if the FordPass app lets you post your own reviews, yet, but you can certainly switch over to the PlugShare app to do that (and more).

·
Registered
22 Posts
This isn't shocking to me at all. The fact that this is the first charging test I've seen tells me there are known issues. I'm sure they will be resolved soon, maybe even before any deliveries happen.

Has anyone seen any other videos or reviews of real world charging? I know a few have reported they charged but they gave no indication of the results (probably embargoed by Ford).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is there anything that Ford provides similar to the Tesla Trip Planner so that I can see what my charging route would look like on my Mach E? I installed the fordpass app, but it doesn't seem to give anything until I add a VIN.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Is there anything that Ford provides similar to the Tesla Trip Planner so that I can see what my charging route would look like on my Mach E? I installed the fordpass app, but it doesn't seem to give anything until I add a VIN.
They say the functionality is there, but it looks like the FordPass app is dependent on communication with the actual vehicle for intelligent routing. It wants to download/upload ‘My Journey’ routes to the car.

The FordPass has another map with the charger locations, but it is not 100% yet. I cannot apply filters on the chargers listed, even though the filter option is available.

Our first few months with the MMe will definitely require patience as Ford builds out the software integrations.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The writer's comment that he is "guilty as charged" is more telling than he knows. He doesn't provide any info to see if he had a problem or not.

1. What was the state of charge of the batteries? If it was over 30%, the charging drops fairly quick at that point in Tesla and other EV's.

2. What was the batteries temp? Cold battery will charge significantly slower and it can take a lot of driving in cold weather to warm up a battery.

Author notes car is charging at 74kWh rate which you would see around 30% of charge. This would be the full charging rate for a 150kW charger and a 40%+ state of charge battery.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The writer's comment that he is "guilty as charged" is more telling than he knows. He doesn't provide any info to see if he had a problem or not.

1. What was the state of charge of the batteries? If it was over 30%, the charging drops fairly quick at that point in Tesla and other EV's.
From the article:

"Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD — with 60 miles of remaining range "
That would be 22%, 60 miles out of 270 miles.

2. What was the batteries temp? Cold battery will charge significantly slower and it can take a lot of driving in cold weather to warm up a battery.
Again from the article:

"Target store in Clifton, N.J., on a miserable, rainy night in December."
He was driving, so I assume the battery was not cold. The temperature in December were in the mid 40's to low 50's. I live in the Tri State area on Long Island and the weather here though yesterday, except for December 17 when it snowed, has been unseasonable mild. We have even been playing golf!

-
Author notes car is charging at 74kWh rate which you would see around 30% of charge. This would be the full charging rate for a 150kW charger and a 40%+ state of charge battery.
As noted above the battery had a 22%

I have no idea what this all means with regard to charging rates, but going back to the article some of the questions you raised, the answers are there.

My gut tells me that if the car was a Tesla and the driver went to a Tesla super station, in 20 minutes or less he would have left with an 80% charge.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My gut tells me that if the car was a Tesla and the driver went to a Tesla super station, in 20 minutes or less he would have left with an 80% charge.
My experience and charging record in TeslaFi.com tell me differently. I believe the max average charging rate for MachE was 91kWh and 86kWh for the Model 3 on a 150kW charger, some initial article by Ford when Mach E was opened for reservations. My average per my charging record is 56kWh and 38 minutes.

At the 250kW chargers I never see near the 250kW max that potentially car and charger can delivery even if I’m the only one there and batteries in the 30 mile range.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My experience and charging record in TeslaFi.com tell me differently. I believe the max average charging rate for MachE was 91kWh and 86kWh for the Model 3 on a 150kW charger, some initial article by Ford when Mach E was opened for reservations. My average per my charging record is 56kWh and 38 minutes.

At the 250kW chargers I never see near the 250kW max that potentially car and charger can delivery even if I’m the only one there and batteries in the 30 mile range.

Just reading what was written it seems than none of the EA chargers, even after calling were working properly.

When the author was not getting the charging miles per minutes form the super charger he went to investigate. He then found the low rate of charging

As to Tesla, does it really matter what the rate of charging is as long as you can get 80% in less than 20 minutes?

I think most people would be happy, regardless of the rate of charging, if the MME, like the Tesla charged 80% in 20 minutes or less. If this supercharging station had given the author 80% charge in 20 minutes the article would have said so.

Time to get to 80% is all that matters. When you do not, as the author did not, you try to figure out why. In this instance at the supercharging station, all 5 charges were not working as advertised.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just reading what was written it seems than none of the EA chargers, even after calling were working properly.
Charger was cranking out 75kWh (300 mph of charging) according to the author. The chargers seem to working just fine.
I think most people would be happy, regardless of the rate of charging, if the MME, like the Tesla charged 80% in 20 minutes or less.
I think most Tesa owners would be pleased with that upgrade in charging speed. Probably more like 40 minutes for 75% is real world for the Model 3.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
Exactly right!
Its coming. Getting all the disparate companies on the same page is a monumental feat. What Ford is doing now by pushing all these vendors to adopt plug-and-charge will help all EV drivers in the future.

We just have to deal with these first-world early-adopter issues while things get ironed out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here's a more verified video of actual charge, in New Jersey just like the AutoBlog link above, but results were very different. MachE hit 150kW, charged at high speed and made the charging schedule per the Ford claims.

Now why did the AutoBlogger fail when others in same area and chargers succeeded?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a more verified video of actual charge, in New Jersey just like the AutoBlog link above, but results were very different. MachE hit 150kW, charged at high speed and made the charging schedule per the Ford claims.

Now why did the AutoBlogger fail when others in same area and chargers succeeded?

Great video and thanks for posting;

Rough "back of the envelope" calculations:

• 43% arrival: range left 116 miles (43% of 270)
  • 80% departure: range 216 miles (80% of 270)
Range added: 100 miles: Time 22 minutes: average miles per minute added: 4.5

If you arrived with 30 miles and wanted to go 216 miles, (80% charge) 186 miles it would take 42 minutes.

Are my calculations correct - more or less?

·
Registered
109 Posts
This isn't shocking to me at all. The fact that this is the first charging test I've seen tells me there are known issues. I'm sure they will be resolved soon, maybe even before any deliveries happen.

Has anyone seen any other videos or reviews of real world charging? I know a few have reported they charged but they gave no indication of the results (probably embargoed by Ford).
The article was written using a prototype Mach E and ours will be nothing like that since the software will be the latest version when we get ours (soon I hope). Add to that OTA updates and I'm not worried a bit! Where I do agree is that DC chargers are hard to find now and this limits the Mach E to around town use or very short trips. I won't plan anything longer than that until the network has added more DC chargers (this lack of DC chargers will effect our seeing my oldest daughter and three grandchildren in Sycamore Illinois) and we will continue to use our 2016 Ford Fusion hybrid. It will be very important to preplan your trip with the Ford Pass (and to redeem your free fillups as a perk from Ford). I wasn't an EV convert until I "bought" the Ford Mustang Mach E and EV vehicles in general are NOT made for long trips (we drive to Palm City Florida from our home in Frankfort Illinois to see our younger daughter and granddaughter). This is why my wife and I will continue to use our ICE 2015 Acura MDX (it is an extremely comfortable 5 passenger SUV which is significantly larger than the 5 passenger Mach E crossover SUV). It has all the electronics of the Mach E except Autopilot and OTA (Acura has both of these technologies and more in the newer models). Even though it burns premium fuel we know we will arrive at our destination with much more comfort than the Mach E. Battery technology just isn't there yet (and at 72 years old I'll probably never see it when it is). Just my $0.02 on the topic.

Reactions: JTK44

·
Registered
385 Posts
Where I do agree is that DC chargers are hard to find now and this limits the Mach E to around town use or very short trips.
Well 135 mile trips if that's "short" based on 270 mile range, 200 mile "short" round trip in Winter with 25% deration for conditions.

But more that Electrify American and EVgo chargers are not hard to find and the limits to CCS fast charging are mostly in low populated areas. Main metro areas and travel corridors to those metro areas are covered.

Covered to the point I can consider a GT (to get solid roof and Cyber Orange paint) that only gets 250 max, 170 miles in Winter with EA chargers 2 miles from work, 10 miles from home and 30 miles from ski area.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts