Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ordered my 2022 MachE I was told it would have a hands free tailgate. When it finally arrived (9 months later) I could not get it to work. I finally took it to the service center, who thought it would be a quick fix.. Approximately a week and a half later I am told the following. The center followed procedure replaced 1 module (had to wait 3 days for the part) that didn't work. Replaced a second module (waited 2 days for it). Then they got a message from FORD why are you doing this, even though ordered and equipped for the hands free tailgate no software exist for it. In the future if it is developed we will let you know. They also said if it had been built 3 weeks earlier it would have had the software.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
When I ordered my 2022 MachE I was told it would have a hands free tailgate. When it finally arrived (9 months later) I could not get it to work. I finally took it to the service center, who thought it would be a quick fix.. Approximately a week and a half later I am told the following. The center followed procedure replaced 1 module (had to wait 3 days for the part) that didn't work. Replaced a second module (waited 2 days for it). Then they got a message from FORD why are you doing this, even though ordered and equipped for the hands free tailgate no software exist for it. In the future if it is developed we will let you know. They also said if it had been built 3 weeks earlier it would have had the software.
Odd that ford didn't tell them that, it was pretty well documented that the hands free tailgate wouldn't be available after a certain date.

Reactions: Ody

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
144 Posts
Dealers received notification that 2022s would not have this feature. They should have told you at time of sale. Many don't.

For many vehicles, the sensor was in fact installed, but Ford did not activate it. The dealer lacks the ability to activate it. However, it can be activated with software called FORScan. That software is free (2 month renewable license), requires an adapter (under $100) and a laptop. Many have activated it, including myself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Often the problem is that people don't use their foot properly.

Make sure you have the authorized device within 3 ft (1 m) of the liftgate.
1. Stand behind your vehicle, and face the liftgate.
2. Move your foot, in a single-kick motion, without pausing, under and away from the rear bumper detection area.
3. The liftgate opens.
Avoid the following actions when using the hands-free opening feature:
• Making physical contact with the bumper.
• Holding your foot under the bumper.
• Sweeping your foot from side to side, or kicking at an odd angle.

The detection area is in the center of the rear bumper.

Reactions: Pony 21

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rick-E - Thanks a bunch for the great tips! I was doing multiple wrong motions. A quick kick in and out and it seems to work every time. I guess I was over thinking it.
Thanks again -
dono

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dealers received notification that 2022s would not have this feature. They should have told you at time of sale. Many don't.

For many vehicles, the sensor was in fact installed, but Ford did not activate it. The dealer lacks the ability to activate it. However, it can be activated with software called FORScan. That software is free (2 month renewable license), requires an adapter (under $100) and a laptop. Many have activated it, including myself.
How are you doing this with FORscan?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Often the problem is that people don't use their foot properly.

Make sure you have the authorized device within 3 ft (1 m) of the liftgate.
1. Stand behind your vehicle, and face the liftgate.
2. Move your foot, in a single-kick motion, without pausing, under and away from the rear bumper detection area.
3. The liftgate opens.
Avoid the following actions when using the hands-free opening feature:
• Making physical contact with the bumper.
• Holding your foot under the bumper.
• Sweeping your foot from side to side, or kicking at an odd angle.

The detection area is in the center of the rear bumper.
Actually, the best location for the in/out motion is under the left side of the license plate. It works every time. I saw this in the instructions somewhere when I was trying to activate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How are you doing this with FORscan?
If the module exists, the instructions are posted on another forum. If you know how to use FORScan, it is quite easy. If you don't, it can be intimidating.

Open APIM
in 7D0-09-03, change 0000 to 0800
Write
Reset APIM

Open BCM
in 726-27-01, change 0E020012 to 0F020212
Write
Reset BCM

Clear DTCs
Go to wrench page, LIN new module initialization
Clear DTCs

Some people found the that an A worked in the APIM instead of the 8. I did not.

I can give you the link if you want to DM me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the module exists, the instructions are posted on another forum. If you know how to use FORScan, it is quite easy. If you don't, it can be intimidating.

Open APIM
in 7D0-09-03, change 0000 to 0800
Write
Reset APIM

Open BCM
in 726-27-01, change 0E020012 to 0F020212
Write
Reset BCM

Clear DTCs
Go to wrench page, LIN new module initialization
Clear DTCs

Some people found the that an A worked in the APIM instead of the 8. I did not.

I can give you the link if you want to DM me.
Thanks, I misread the original post. I have a '21, no problem with the kick-to-open. kick-to-close is a bit more iffy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts