Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a Toyota alert about upcoming vehicles...The Toyota RAV4 Prime appearing this summer in the US will have the Head Up Display (HUD) as a option. This feature puts vital information on the windshield for the driver to see while keeping his/her eyes on the road. My BMW has this feature and I see the posted speed, my vehicle speed, and turn by turn instructions. I really love it.
While I am not a big fan of hybrid technology because of having to pay for and maintain two power systems, one can certainly say it can be preferable in many instances to just an internal combustion engine or an all-electric vehicle.
So this option was not that expensive on my BMW...
I am afraid it is too late for Ford to have it added to your and my Mach-E’s (either a First Edition or a Premium)
As I weigh the pros and cons of both cars before finalizing my vehicle purchase early next year, is this one item for the other guys?
Ford believes the Mach-E’s digital instrument cluster will be an adequate replacement for the HUD.
I will see as they say....

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife loves the HUD in her BMW. HUD would be a bonus on the Mach-E, but not a make or break option for me since there is still a display in front of the driver. I'm still surprised Tesla hasn't offered a HUD in the Model 3 to pair with their bare dash. That car is screaming for a HUD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have never owned a car with the HUD but always wanted one. That is one of my fav parts of the upcoming Fisker Ocean. I know its a gamble but it is also something that will not break my bank owning. I am hoping everything he has said and offered for his vehicle is true if it is its a great bargain. Well will get more information in the next 2 weeks while it is at the Geneva Auto Show and I am sure Ford will be their as well with the Mach E releasing more information as well. As i get more info on Fisker I will create a new post on the 2 mach e forums I know of and try to compare the 2.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the Mach-E’s digital instrument cluster, I really don’t see any need for the additional cost of a HUD.
Once set, the adaptive cruise control will handle the speed of the car and any upcoming Nav Turns can
be voice announced from the Nav System.

What is the windshield replacement cost with HUD when it gets a crack?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is the windshield replacement cost with HUD when it gets a crack?
The HUD information isn't integral to the windshield. It is either a video projection onto the windshield from below or a projection onto a smaller, angled pane of glass mounted on the dashboard in front of the windshield. A cracked windshield won't be any more expensive than without the HUD.

·
Registered
33 Posts
True, but have seen info that at least some cars with HUD use a special polarized windshield with OEM replacement costs of over $1,200.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From all the cars I have seen it on it is actually a mirror reflection of a small digital read out above the dashboard. MAybe the newer ones a more of a projection if they do nav guidance and stuff but some of the older ones where it just did maybe speed and fuel was only a mirror reflection of a small read out ontop of dash

·
Registered
182 Posts
True, but have seen info that at least some cars with HUD use a special polarized windshield with OEM replacement costs of over $1,200.
I had a 97 Bonneville SSEi that had a HUD, and it was cool for a while. It was my company car, and I found out after I left that they had to replace the windshield due to a crack and it was crazy expensive, so they put a normal windshield (which meant the HUD no longer worked). I did not miss the HUD at all, and have no desire for another. The Mach E is coming standard with a boatload of features for a pretty good price - how about being happy with enough? Lack of a HUD will in no way compromise your ability to drive comfortably or safely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not having a HUD is not a deal breaker for me.

There is cool “heads-up” alert feature on Fords that have Co-Pilot 360 Auto emergency breaking. There is a bar of red LEDs where the usual HUD projectors go.

When the system detects a potential imminent safety concern (such as a collision or pedestrian), this bar flashes on the windshield and a series of beeps is heard from in front of the driver. any audio from the car speakers is muted to remove all distraction.

This immediately pulls your attention forward so you can take action. If you don’t, the car’s auto systems kick in.

This LED bar set-up is, by far, one of the most effective methods for getting a driver‘s attention I have seen to date. It’s simple, yet brilliant. Like if your passenger were to yell “ watch out!” No need to read messages or look at displays, just look ahead and react.

I assume the MME will have this as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do like my BMW's HUD very much and I'd love it if the Mach-E had it.
Having said that, it's not a deal breaker, i.e. I won't make my decision based on HUD availability.

Well will get more information in the next 2 weeks while it is at the Geneva Auto Show
Well, don't hold your breath...

The Mach E is coming standard with a boatload of features for a pretty good price - how about being happy with enough? Lack of a HUD will in no way compromise your ability to drive comfortably or safely.
So your experience with a car from 23 years ago is the absolute benchmark on whether people should want HUD or not?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
106 Posts
This LED bar set-up is, by far, one of the most effective methods for getting a driver‘s attention I have seen to date. It’s simple, yet brilliant.
That’s exactly what is most important in a HUD: simple yet brilliant.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So your experience with a car from 23 years ago is the absolute benchmark on whether people should want HUD or not?
No, my experience dictates whether I would want a HUD. I am sharing that perspective with those who've never had one, albeit at a sample size of exactly 1. That viewpoint means virtually nothing since the Mach E doesn't come with one anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have never owned a car with the HUD but always wanted one. That is one of my fav parts of the upcoming Fisker Ocean. I know its a gamble but it is also something that will not break my bank owning. I am hoping everything he has said and offered for his vehicle is true if it is its a great bargain. Well will get more information in the next 2 weeks while it is at the Geneva Auto Show and I am sure Ford will be their as well with the Mach E releasing more information as well. As i get more info on Fisker I will create a new post on the 2 mach e forums I know of and try to compare the 2.
The Geneva auto show is canceled because the virus. Fisker has not factory, no prototype for test and not sure if they have a deal for the battery! Anyway it could take 2 or 3 years before to get one on the road but they have to find the money first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts