Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tommy from TFL gives his review of the Mach-E after being able to drive it for a week. He drove a Premium AWD model with the standard battery.

Some of the things mentioned in the video.

Pros
  • Range is more than adequate, never felt range anxiety.
  • Key functions work great
  • Doors open with no issue in freezing temperature
  • "Best seats in the industry"
  • Interior design
  • Little screen behind the steering wheel
  • Heated Steering Wheel (not in Model Y)
  • Satellite Radio (not in Model Y)
  • 1 pedal drive is excellent
  • Sequential turn signal

Cons
  • Plug and charge issues, fast charged it 3 times (2 Electrify America 1 EVgo) and it didn't recognize the Mach-E
  • Fastest 46 kW fastest DC charging rate they got
  • Infotainment screen is finicky (lag and response time)
  • Not as fun to drive as a Tesla

·
Registered
340 Posts
Seems like a pretty fair review. Interestingly he's the only reviewer I've seen that has complained about steering and handling, other than Jalopnik who are just determined to hate it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm really glad to hear the seats are the best. But I was surprised to hear that the handling was not as good or as fun to drive as Tesla. This is why I definitely want to test drive before signing the checks.

He captured two of my main worries - laggy infotainment and slow fast? charging - which can critically influence my final purchase decision.

Meanwhile what I'm yet to hear about in reviews are, B&O audio quality comparison and insurance rates.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,105 Posts
I'm really glad to hear the seats are the best. But I was surprised to hear that the handling was not as good or as fun to drive as Tesla. This is why I definitely want to test drive before signing the checks.

He captured two of my main worries - laggy infotainment and slow fast? charging - which can critically influence my final purchase decision.

Meanwhile what I'm yet to hear about in reviews are, B&O audio quality comparison and insurance rates.
I can answer the insurance question, I'm with Geico and my rate drops $$308 per annum. going from a Fusion Energi to a Mach E Premium RWD/ER.
As to a screen lag, I've had the opportunity on two occasions to operate the Mac E screen at two dealers and while I didn't run through every possible screen icon I spent time going thru some common every day apps. and there were zero issues on response.
As to the B&O, my current Ford has the Sony system and the B&O "trashes" the Sony. My Audi S5 had the B&O and even with the top down it sounded great.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts

For handling and fun-to-drive factors, a better comparison would have been between the MMe AWD/ER and the nomal MY/LR. Comparing a lower performing MMe with a higher performing MYP is not balanced.

Some reviewers say they see lag, others not. I did not see any lag when I used the system in person.

I did find that I was swiping on the screen when there was nothing to scroll at certain times. Like with the SiriusXM stations, swipe didn’t do anything, it was just a tap to the left or right. You would think intuitively a swipe would be there, not the case. Yet, on another screen with a similar layout, there was a left/right swipe. These are nuisances that can be reprogrammed.

with the B&O, all they say is ‘it sounds great’. I would also love to see an audiophile evaluation.

Even though I will be charging at home or work 95% of the time, i too would like to see better charging results for DC fast charging. Only one reviewer said the saw a sustained 115kW charging level for an extended period, everyone else says they see 46-48kW sustained. This is disappointing, and I hope it has to do with the preproduction builds.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
  • The Good: Almost all of what he hates/dislikes can be addressed by over the air firmware updates.
  • The Bad: Plug and charge improvements are not entirely in Ford's control. This is where Ford, VW, FCA, GM... need to work together along with their infrastructure and government partners. Done right, they have the potential to scale and rival the supercharger network quickly.
  • The Ugly: no real ugly....

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Tommy from TFL gives his review of the Mach-E after being able to drive it for a week. He drove a Premium AWD model with the standard battery.

Some of the things mentioned in the video.

Pros
  • Range is more than adequate, never felt range anxiety.
  • Key functions work great
  • Doors open with no issue in freezing temperature
  • "Best seats in the industry"
  • Interior design
  • Little screen behind the steering wheel
  • Heated Steering Wheel (not in Model Y)
  • Satellite Radio (not in Model Y)
  • 1 pedal drive is excellent
  • Sequential turn signal

Cons
  • Plug and charge issues, fast charged it 3 times (2 Electrify America 1 EVgo) and it didn't recognize the Mach-E
  • Fastest 46 kW fastest DC charging rate they got
  • Infotainment screen is finicky (lag and response time)
  • Not as fun to drive as a Tesla
One other Pro is the touch free adjustable height rear hatch. Not having to put packages on the ground to hunt for a rubber button but simply passing a foot under the rear bumper is a great addition as well as touching a button to keep the deck from hitting a low overhead.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
So does the US MachE have the traditional sequential turn signals? Alex on Autos on his test noted that the MachE didn't have the sequential turn signals due to US reg on size of lights if sequential.
The simple answer is "yes and no" they're not traditional sequential lights like I had on my 1965 T' Bird but more of a inboard to outboard sweeping motion.

·
Registered
Rapid Red LR Premium AWD on order
29 Posts
One other Pro is the touch free adjustable height rear hatch. Not having to put packages on the ground to hunt for a rubber button but simply passing a foot under the rear bumper is a great addition as well as touching a button to keep the deck from hitting a low overhead.
Yes! I keep waiting for a single reviewer to mention this!

I was also scratching my head over the purchasing comparison between Tesla and Mach-E. I never went near my dealership and the online ordering process was so easy it was like it was fake.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

For handling and fun-to-drive factors, a better comparison would have been between the MMe AWD/ER and the nomal MY/LR. Comparing a lower performing MMe with a higher performing MYP is not balanced.

Some reviewers say they see lag, others not. I did not see any lag when I used the system in person.

I did find that I was swiping on the screen when there was nothing to scroll at certain times. Like with the SiriusXM stations, swipe didn’t do anything, it was just a tap to the left or right. You would think intuitively a swipe would be there, not the case. Yet, on another screen with a similar layout, there was a left/right swipe. These are nuisances that can be reprogrammed.

with the B&O, all they say is ‘it sounds great’. I would also love to see an audiophile evaluation.

Even though I will be charging at home or work 95% of the time, i too would like to see better charging results for DC fast charging. Only one reviewer said the saw a sustained 115kW charging level for an extended period, everyone else says they see 46-48kW sustained. This is disappointing, and I hope it has to do with the preproduction builds.
The lag seems to be based on which vehicle a reviewer has because I've also seen both good and bad things. The good thing is that should be fixable with an update.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So does the US MachE have the traditional sequential turn signals? Alex on Autos on his test noted that the MachE didn't have the sequential turn signals due to US reg on size of lights if sequential.
First off Tesla owners are going to tear down any other ev's simply because they own versus buying. Me and my wife test drove a tesla and we found it to ride clunky. Plus Tesla already built into the computer all the add on's like self driving modes. At the time they stated Tesla would turn it on for a huge cost vs Fords 600 dollars for same feature. The Mach-e passed me and the wifes clunky bumpy ride tests and was smoother than the tesla, You have to remember everyone has different expectations and judge for them selves. If you test drive any car with a negative outlook thats what you will walk away with. You have to remember your not at a tesla dealer but a ford.
Now me and the wife ( lead foot Annie ) just completed a test drive of the Mach-e (2/13/21) from Mike bass ford in Sheffield, Ohio. It was identical to what we ordered, red with dual motors and extended range batteries. The odom read 56 miles and 85% charge. The wife drove first, Ok, she drove the whole time!! First thing get on the freeway (I90). From the top of the ramp to the end we were at 85 mph next thing she was at 140 until I stopped her. ( No one has stated speed before) She stated that it still had more pedal to go.So that answered my question of speed. She the taken us to a empty snow covered parking lot trying to do donuts but couldn't. Then we taken down curvy roads and was impressed. The info center will take a lil reading up on. But I was impressed with the Mach-e over all. If there was ever a way to address the head room getting in and out of these cars. When a guy or woman over 6 feet get in we have to twist and turn and duck our heads getting in.
And so far most buyers look to be over 40 years of age. Now once inside plenty of head room. Now for the frunk, really ford, you couldn't have made it remote open for groceries and what nots. most people would have paid for the extra cost.

·
Registered
90 Posts

The info system in the Mach isn't like the gas powered info systems. This system has to do alot more. As ford down loads more apps. As an ev the computer is the main driver behind you. All you do is drive steer and push down on the lil foot pedal. I noticed that not one Tesla driver brought up servicing. Another plus of ford or GM ev's is there is always a ford dealer near buy where as a tesla you have to call and wait for a repairman to come to your house.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Now for the frunk, really ford, you couldn't have made it remote open for groceries and what nots. most people would have paid for the extra cost.
Auto opening hood...don't think anyone has that yet though someone will or some third party. Auto opening hatchback with wiper was the upgrade I was looking for MachE to provide over my Model 3 and it does.

On the charging issues the reviewer had, I have always gotten non-Tesla chargers to work with the Tesla. Electrify America, EVgo, Aeroviroment, Webasto, Chargepoint. It takes getting familiar with how each charger works. One guy who did a bunch of YouTube videos insisting Tesla Chademo didn't work at five different chargers. I showed him how to plug the adapter in and he retested and they all worked. Of course he has five videos up saying EA, PetroCanada et all "DON'T WORK!" and a small disclaimer in comments about his "pilot error" but people still quote his videos.

The chargers are all a bit different, some want to be plugged in first, some want you to start process before plugging in. Unless the charger is flat out offline, you can get them to work.

On the charging speed, I rarely get rated charger kW at Tesla chargers and for no good reason. I'll be low on battery, no one else there and battery preconditioned for temp but only see 75kW at a 150kW charger. Should charge at 150kW for first 30% but it doesn't. Go figure. I expect the same behavior from MachE or any EV and the EA and other chargers.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,775 Posts
First off Tesla owners are going to tear down any other ev's simply because they own versus buying. Me and my wife test drove a tesla and we found it to ride clunky. Plus Tesla already built into the computer all the add on's like self driving modes. At the time they stated Tesla would turn it on for a huge cost vs Fords 600 dollars for same feature. The Mach-e passed me and the wifes clunky bumpy ride tests and was smoother than the tesla, You have to remember everyone has different expectations and judge for them selves. If you test drive any car with a negative outlook thats what you will walk away with. You have to remember your not at a tesla dealer but a ford.
Now me and the wife ( lead foot Annie ) just completed a test drive of the Mach-e (2/13/21) from Mike bass ford in Sheffield, Ohio. It was identical to what we ordered, red with dual motors and extended range batteries. The odom read 56 miles and 85% charge. The wife drove first, Ok, she drove the whole time!! First thing get on the freeway (I90). From the top of the ramp to the end we were at 85 mph next thing she was at 140 until I stopped her. ( No one has stated speed before) She stated that it still had more pedal to go.So that answered my question of speed. She the taken us to a empty snow covered parking lot trying to do donuts but couldn't. Then we taken down curvy roads and was impressed. The info center will take a lil reading up on. But I was impressed with the Mach-e over all. If there was ever a way to address the head room getting in and out of these cars. When a guy or woman over 6 feet get in we have to twist and turn and duck our heads getting in.
And so far most buyers look to be over 40 years of age. Now once inside plenty of head room. Now for the frunk, really ford, you couldn't have made it remote open for groceries and what nots. most people would have paid for the extra cost.
I thought the MME was limited to 110 mph.

Age of buyers: Here on the East Coast, when people think of EV's above $45,000 all they think of is Tesla: The name Ford is perceived as "non luxury". Further when I went to see the MME, most of the shoppers were over 60 where the name "Mustang" resonated. My two children, 38 and 42 when I mentioned the name Mustang, they both said "wasn't that your first car in college?". Mustang meant nothing to them - but both know Tesla.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Age of buyers: Here on the East Coast, when people think of EV's above $45,000 all they think of is Tesla: The name Ford is perceived as "non luxury". Further when I went to see the MME, most of the shoppers were over 60 where the name "Mustang" resonated. My two children, 38 and 42 when I mentioned the name Mustang, they both said "wasn't that your first car in college?". Mustang meant nothing to them - but both know Tesla.

This one ran 140 so maybe the one that got away from the stable untouched! One of the many quirks.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
This one ran 140 so maybe the one that got away from the stable untouched! One of the many quirks.
The dashboard may have been set to kilometers. 140 kph is 82 mph. From all I have read, the MMe Non-GT speed is electronically limited to 111 mph (180 kph).

Even so, its nice to know acceleration was effortless.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,775 Posts
The dashboard may have been set to kilometers. 140 kph is 82 mph. From all I have read, the MMe Non-GT speed is electronically limited to 111 mph (180 kph).

Even so, its nice to know acceleration was effortless.
Detective Cousteau you have solved the mystery: KMH not MPH!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts

Commented on this one in another thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts