Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The headline says it all:

Now even with the Federal Tax Credits, the MachE is more money than the Model Y and the Model Y will shortly be offering leases, not the Ford "Option Plan" which is nothing more than a deferred purchase plan.

With this announcement I hope Ford will come up with a more realistic lease and pricing between now and delivery date.

see: Tesla cuts price of Model Y SUV by $3,000, Electrek says

and

·
Registered
284 Posts
I know they did it already for the Model S and Model X but this is a bit surprising given how new the Model Y is. You have to think Ford is going to respond in some way.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
Turns out Tesla’s cutting the base Model Y price was not from production line efficiencies, but because they will not be making the more affordable Model Y standard range anymore. It is reported that the smaller battery range was lower than the targeted 250 mile range, which Elon found unacceptable.
Instead, a low-cost Tesla Model Y LR/RWD will be introduced in the future.

Reference: CNET Roadshow - Tesla Scraps Model Y Standard Range

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Instead, a low-cost Tesla Model Y LR/RWD will be introduced in the future.

Reference: CNET Roadshow - Tesla Scraps Model Y Standard Range
Because of the dramatic decrease in range in cold climate, both battery and drain on the battery to keep occupants warm, this configuration may make a great deal of sense: If you are not driving in snow and sleet, considering the extraordinary low center of gravity of BEV, RWD may be satisfactory 95% of the time. AWD adds complexity and cost.

There is of course for $37,990 SR RWD Model 3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Red paint. $2,000
White interior. $1,000
Garage door opener. $300

The headline says it all:

Now even with the Federal Tax Credits, the MachE is more money than the Model Y and the Model Y will shortly be offering leases, not the Ford "Option Plan" which is nothing more than a deferred purchase plan.

With this announcement I hope Ford will come up with a more realistic lease and pricing between now and delivery date.

see: Tesla cuts price of Model Y SUV by $3,000, Electrek says

and

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,024 Posts
Because of the dramatic decrease in range in cold climate, both battery and drain on the battery to keep occupants warm, this configuration may make a great deal of sense: If you are not driving in snow and sleet, considering the extraordinary low center of gravity of BEV, RWD may be satisfactory 95% of the time. AWD adds complexity and cost.

There is of course for $37,990 SR RWD Model 3.
Yes, the difference between Tesla range in temperate vs cold weather is staggering. You need an extended range just to maintain normal range in winter.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the difference between Tesla range in temperate vs cold weather is staggering. You need an extended range just to maintain normal range in winter.
Keep in mind that the Tesla uses a heat pump which is more efficient than electricity produced heat for warmth in the winter and AC compressor for cooling in the summer.

I suspect loss of range in the winter will also be true with the MachE and other BEV.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks good post: very interesting. I will have to study it.

At first glance, and I do not know what it means: It seems that the highest original range seems to lose the highest percentage in the cold. Maybe bigger batteries lose more of their range than smaller batteries?

But after all is said and done, it seems that the only cars with more than 400 km of actual range in the cold are the three Teslas.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
I lived in Southwest Oregon when I leased the Fusion Energi PHEV. It came with a 21 mile EV range stated by Ford. The car was parked at an outside open charging station on the complex that would charge the vehicle from 0% to 100% in approximately 2 hours. Now for the catch, when the temps dropped so did the range which was not in itself a surprise. What was a big surprise was how much EV range it dropped. It would stop charging and show 100% EV at 14miles and occasionally 13miles a range reduction of 34%. Now that I'm in Las Vegas and the vehicle is charged in my garage I consistently get between 19 to 21 with an occasional but rare 22 mile EV range. I'm very curious but not overly concerned based on my driving routine what the MMe will do in this area and when I take it Utah to visit family

·
Registered
94 Posts
All EV batteries have less capacity at lower temperatures.
My Leaf SL+ 60 KWH pack looses about 1% for each 4 degrees F below 70 F.

The Mach-E will be similar --- so if it sits outside and the pack temp drops to 10F, capacity will be 98KWH - (60/4) % = 83KWH

Reactions: Summerlin Bob

·
Registered
109 Posts
All EV batteries have less capacity at lower temperatures.

The Mach-E will be similar --- so if it sits outside and the pack temp drops to 10F, capacity will be 98KWH - (60/4) % = 83KWH
Is that a temporary loss until the battery warms or a permanent loss? If you are connected to an outlet, the MME allows you to precondition your battery and interior via your smart phone prior to departure. You would then be using juice from the outlet rather than draining your battery.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is that a temporary loss until the battery warms or a permanent loss? If you are connected to an outlet, the MME allows you to precondition your battery and interior via your smart phone prior to departure. You would then be using juice from the outlet rather than draining your battery.
That's just temporary while the pack is at a colder temperature. When the pack warms back up above 70F, you should have full capacity available again.
Yep, pre-conditioning the car to a comfortable temperature while still connected will result in more range available.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Typically cold temps harm batteries temporarily while high temps harm batteries permanently.

Note that the Fusion Energi only had fans in place. It did not have liquid cooling to warm or cool the battery.

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
And relatively noisy fans at that. Great driving car would love to see a full EV version.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
And relatively noisy fans at that. Great driving car would love to see a full EV version.
I’s sure its coming, the Mondeo is really popular in EU and would make total sense to become an EV.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’s sure its coming, the Mondeo is really popular in EU and would make total sense to become an EV.

I believe the present Ford Fusion and the EU Mondeo are the same car. I think they share the same platform: CD4

see: Ford CD4 platform - Wikipedia

and

see: Ford Mondeo (fourth generation) - Wikipedia

Neither is built on a "skateboard" chassis which is becoming ubiquitous in BEV. The skateboard chassis permits putting the batteries below the passenger compartment, keeps the center of gravity very low which dramatically improves handling and permits more interior space. Without "skateboard" chassis architecture, batteries intrude on trunk space as it does in the Fusion Energi and other BEV's like the BMW 530e.

Both are sedans, which Ford has decided to discontinue in favor of SUV's. Not saying I agree, just reporting what Ford says its model lineup will be going forward. The only "non SUV" will be trucks and the Mustang.

see: Ford Fusion, soon to be dead in U.S., gets new life in Europe

So as good as both the Fusion and Mondeo drive, (I agree) being sedans, I do not think we will see a BEV version of either here in the US.

After the MachE, in a few years I would expect to see a proliferation of BEV's from Ford: small SUV, Large SUV, trucks and maybe a large luxury sedan from Lincoln. These will be exciting times!

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I believe the present Ford Fusion and the EU Mondeo are the same car. I think they share the same platform: CD4

see: Ford CD4 platform - Wikipedia

and

see: Ford Mondeo (fourth generation) - Wikipedia

Neither is built on a "skateboard" chassis which is becoming ubiquitous in BEV. The skateboard chassis permits putting the batteries below the passenger compartment, keeps the center of gravity very low which dramatically improves handling and permits more interior space. Without "skateboard" chassis architecture, batteries intrude on trunk space as it does in the Fusion Energi and other BEV's like the BMW 530e.

Both are sedans, which Ford has decided to discontinue in favor of SUV's. Not saying I agree, just reporting what Ford says its model lineup will be going forward. The only "non SUV" will be trucks and the Mustang.

see: Ford Fusion, soon to be dead in U.S., gets new life in Europe

So as good as both the Fusion and Mondeo drive, (I agree) being sedans, I do not think we will see a BEV version of either here in the US.

After the MachE, in a few years I would expect to see a proliferation of BEV's from Ford: small SUV, Large SUV, trucks and maybe a large luxury sedan from Lincoln. These will be exciting times!
Yep, i know they are the same car. That’s why I referenced it :)

And as a BEV, I assumed a ground-up build. Not a retrofit.

if it happens, just like the VW MEB partnership, it will probably be for all other markets except for the US, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts