Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday June 19th while parked my Mach-e sent me an alert on the Ford app saying "High-Voltage Battery Warning". Being thirty miles from home I was a bit excited until I got in and the alert cleared itself. Halfway home it came back and went on to say "Power Malfunction / Reduced Power" and service needed immediately. It did not reduce power and I took it to the dealer on the Monday June 21st. Where it has been since. I am told that the technician was on the phone with a "high level engineer" in Detroit and they were working together on it. Last Monday, June 28th, I was told an engineer was inbound from Detroit to get hands on. Tuesday my Ford app went nuts sending me a couple of default messages. I called to let my service point of contact know and was told they were removing the battery to dismantle same and figure out what the issue is. Today I was told "it's a circuit board which has been ordered and will be here in two or three weeks , it's back ordered". And that Ford will give me a rental car from Enterprise as soon as they, Enterprise, has one available. It has to be a Ford product. And as everyone knows rental cars are in short supply at the moment. Well now......... glad I own some other options.

·
Registered
67 Posts
On Saturday June 19th while parked my Mach-e sent me an alert on the Ford app saying "High-Voltage Battery Warning". Being thirty miles from home I was a bit excited until I got in and the alert cleared itself. Halfway home it came back and went on to say "Power Malfunction / Reduced Power" and service needed immediately. It did not reduce power and I took it to the dealer on the Monday June 21st. Where it has been since. I am told that the technician was on the phone with a "high level engineer" in Detroit and they were working together on it. Last Monday, June 28th, I was told an engineer was inbound from Detroit to get hands on. Tuesday my Ford app went nuts sending me a couple of default messages. I called to let my service point of contact know and was told they were removing the battery to dismantle same and figure out what the issue is. Today I was told "it's a circuit board which has been ordered and will be here in two or three weeks , it's back ordered". And that Ford will give me a rental car from Enterprise as soon as they, Enterprise, has one available. It has to be a Ford product. And as everyone knows rental cars are in short supply at the moment. Well now......... glad I own some other options.
I had very similar issues complete with engineer coming from Detroit. Replaced some battery cells. It took 6 weeks and our dealer loaned us a MME. However since it’s return, when charging in an 85-90 degree garage the cooling fan sounds is very very loud, sounds like a gas powered lawn mower running in your garage. Charging when cool is ok. I wonder if it all got put back together correctly. I’m interested in following your experience.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,943 Posts
I think most of us thought that as compared to Tesla, when something breaks, replacement parts would be readily available - the same as an ICE from Ford.

The availability of replacement parts was seen as a huge plus for the MME over the Model Y.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think most of us thought that as compared to Tesla, when something breaks, replacement parts would be readily available - the same as an ICE from Ford.

The availability of replacement parts was seen as a huge plus for the MME over the Model Y.
and I suspect six months from now parts will be readily available. This is a new platform, compounded with the covid distribution issues. I've heard horror stories about how long the waits for parts are and yet people have gotten things like OEM windshields replaced (as an example) with little wait time.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,943 Posts
and I suspect six months from now parts will be readily available. This is a new platform, compounded with the covid distribution issues. I've heard horror stories about how long the waits for parts are and yet people have gotten things like OEM windshields replaced (as an example) with little wait time.
edited and updated

With a limited production, with limited number of MME per dealer, I cannot imagine the dealer stocking parts. If you sell 4 to 8 MME per year, how can you stock parts? What parts will you stock? It is a nightmare for the Ford parts department in any dealership. Also, keep in mind that many Ford dealerships elected not to carry the MME.

For the seeable future, I think the Tesla model will prevail: When you need a part, it will be shipped to you by Ford. Hopefully, unlike Tesla, Ford will have parts to ship!

As to replacement windshield: There is a poster who was told the wait was many weeks. He is "pulling his hair" out waiting for his replacement windshield.

Perhaps you can help him and tell him how to replace his windshield with "little wait time".

Opps: you already posted in that link, that the poster was basically wrong and even though the dealer said it would take weeks to get the windshield, you felt it should be able to get it right away through Safelite or someone else!

So far he hasn't figured it out.

see: Windshield Replacement on Mach E Premium experiences?

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Ford parts are kept at regional distribution centers. Very little is stocked by the dealership (outside of fluids, filters, etc).

Once the supply chain gets moving full steam, things will right themselves.

·
Registered
834 Posts
edited and updated

With a limited production, with limited number of MME per dealer, I cannot imagine the dealer stocking parts. If you sell 4 to 8 MME per year, how can you stock parts? What parts will you stock? It is a nightmare for the Ford parts department in any dealership. Also, keep in mind that many Ford dealerships elected not to carry the MME.

For the seeable future, I think the Tesla model will prevail: When you need a part, it will be shipped to you by Ford. Hopefully, unlike Tesla, Ford will have parts to ship!

As to replacement windshield: There is a poster who was told the wait was many weeks. He is "pulling his hair" out waiting for his replacement windshield.

Perhaps you can help him and tell him how to replace his windshield with "little wait time".

Opps: you already posted in that link, that the poster was basically wrong and even though the dealer said it would take weeks to get the windshield, you felt it should be able to get it right away through Safelite or someone else!

So far he hasn't figured it out.

see: Windshield Replacement on Mach E Premium experiences?
C'mon JTK44, I"m a broken down retired nurse and even I know about the concept of "JIT" shipping (just in time) of course dealers aren't going to stock most parts for any car, not just mach e. Ford has parts for all cars in regional distribution centers. Dealer needs a part, it comes to the dealer within a day or so.

My point about the windshield was illustrative.

You have to be one of the most pedantic people I've ever encountered on the internet. SMH. I'm glad at least now every other post you make doesn't complain about not getting the mach e because the lease residual sucks, ford sucks, yata yata. so I guess we should be thankful for the little things ;)

Hallelujah, I just found out we have an ignore button, guess who's the first to get that distinction from me!? :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
In the same boat, sort of. The car gave me a warning as I was leaving work on June 24, I took it in on the 25th. Messaged Ford here on the forum after the dealer just kept telling me they had no information on when the parts would arrive and they responded right away. I chose my dealer well and it turns out they were being honest, but Ford was able to give me a ship date of July 19 for the battery components with a dealer arrival of July 22. They scheduled a field engineer for Friday and I've been told to expect it back then. I'll follow up tomorrow morning to see if the battery bits actually shipped. Willing to cut Ford a bit more slack than I did FCA when it took them a month to get a windshield for my Alfa, given how the world is. I do think they're over-producing cars if they are out of critical components for a month at a time though.

My dealer maintains a fleet of loaners so that hasn't been an issue, other than my having become an EV addict stuck with an ICE.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Parts did not ship as promised. Spoke with Ford to give them a lemon deadline today. I really do love the car and it's so disheartening that they seem unwilling to send parts and live up to their warranty obligations.

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Parts did not ship as promised. Spoke with Ford to give them a lemon deadline today. I really do love the car and it's so disheartening that they seem unwilling to send parts and live up to their warranty obligations.
I don’t know if ‘unwilling’ is the correct term. They are not refusing to fix the issue. There is no specific time guarantee in the SLA of the warranty, but there are clauses about parts-availability.

The lemon laws in most States are described as requiring multiple or repeat events within a specific time/frame. Have you had such a poor track record with your MMe to qualify for your State's lemon law?

I do like the fact that the battery-pack is serviceable, unlike Tesla packs. Its better for the environment.

Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don’t know if ‘unwilling’ is the correct term. They are not refusing to fix the issue. There is no specific time guarantee in the SLA of the warranty, but there are clauses about parts-availability.

The lemon laws in most States are described as requiring multiple or repeat events within a specific time/frame. Have you had such a poor track record with your MMe to qualify for your State's lemon law?

I do like the fact that the battery-pack is serviceable, unlike Tesla packs. Its better for the environment.

Please keep us informed.
New York's lemon law requires that the vehicle be repaired four times for the same issue or spend a total of 30 days out of service within the first two years. The car has been sitting with the HVB removed for nearly a month, that's as out of service as you can get.

To be clear - Ford has parts. They are prioritizing them for production rather than repairs. Whether or not they can be considered to be refusing to service the car is a matter of semantics - they are, at this point, almost certain to fail in their obligation to me under my state's laws. I spent last winter in borrowed cars while I waited for my Mach E - I won't be doing that again so I have a short window to make a decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts