Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Fusion Energi Burgundy Velvet Platinum
755 Posts
If I read correctly the Ford MME charger is a mobile charger. They will sell you a hard wired unit w or w/o installation as an option.. I opted to have a licensed electrician install a 50A breaker with the appropriate outlet box. This will give me a 40A charge which I believe is 22 miles vs the hardwired 32miles charge

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Not being an electrician, I may be incorrect here but I believe that a 40 amp unit will give you an 80% sustained 32 amp charge

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see the Juice Box 40 amp on Amazon is $599 so the Costco price of $549 is $50 cheaper, correct?

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
Correct. But I said more choices. Amazon has the EV Gear, same stats as the JuiceBox, for $449.99.
From the press briefings, Ford is partnering with Amazon home services to install the optional Ford-branded 48a charger and work it into the purchase agreement. You can still opt to buy other chargers and arrange installation yourself.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also believe that the MachE will come standard, at no extra charge, with a 120/240 volt charger that charges at 3 miles per hour on 120 volt volt charger and 22 miles per hour on the 240 volt charger

"It will come standard with both 5-15 and 14-50 swap-able adapter plugs..."

"The Ford Mobile Charger with its 14-50 plug, on a dedicated 40/50amp circuit (so, an electric-oven outlet), will pull 32 amps, giving the Ford Mach-E Mustang RWD 22 miles of range per hour. That’s 264 miles of range over a 12 hour period, surely enough for 99%+ of drivers. BUT, if you really need more, Ford is also offering a hardwired, 48 amp wall box, which will get you 32 miles of range per hour. "

see: Ford Mustang Mach-E home charging: First look, on par with Tesla - Electrek

With the 32 amp standard, does it makes sense to upgrade to a 48 amp wall unit, which will require a 60 amp circuit breaker - 80% of 60 amp equals 48 amps?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not being an electrician, I may be incorrect here but I believe that a 40 amp unit will give you an 80% sustained 32 amp charge
The Juice Box 40 Next Generation will charge at an actual 40 amps IF you have a 50 amp circuit. (40 is 80% of 50). If you have a 40 amp circuit it will only charge at 32 amps. I believe the max charge rate can be adjusted. The Costco unit above is $50 cheaper than the unit on the vendor website, however I am not sure the unit is exactly the same unit. This unit on the manufactures site and on amazon has a 25 ft charge cable. The Costco unit has only has only a 20 ft charge cable (close out ?). One advantage of this plug in unit vs Ford Connected unit is that if you have a 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle you can use either the Ford mobile charger or the Juice Box 40 Next Generation with the same circuit, but not at the same time of course. I'm not an electrician either but have spent a lot of time reading the specs and installation manual since that is what I plan to buy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Correct. But I said more choices. Amazon has the EV Gear, same stats as the JuiceBox, for $449.99.
Does that EV Gear unit have the same wifi connectivity capabilities as the Juice Box 40 Next Generation unit? Just asking.

·
Registered
371 Posts
To me, they're not the same. JuiceBox is UL listed, whereas Brand Hut is only claiming that some of EV Gear's components are UL listed. In fact, prior versions of EV Gear (now sold as used items on Amazon) included unsafe accessories in the package, like a 240V to 120V adapter that excluded the neutral line, and it had a 30' cable which exceeds the allowed J1772 cable length for its form factor.

Other UL listed EVSEs include a wide variety of options from Clipper Creek (widely used/trusted) and Grizzl-E (up and coming brand). And of course the stuff Ford will offer, but we don't know prices for those yet.

Anyway, just throwing this info out there in case it may be important to some folks.

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
I don’t mess around with electrical. So, i’d rather go for a charge-point, a juice box, the Ford charger ( once i find out the manufacturer) or similar than go with an unknown.
The few extra $$ is inconsequential when compared to thr potential fires, injuries, or equipment failures of the cheaper off-brands.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm thinking that I'll go through financial and the minor construction pain of installing an EV charger for the garage/home once. I'm still trying to determine the best option for the following.
  • 2 bay garage.
  • House has 200A service.
  • Room in the panel for 2 x 2 pole breakers.
  • There are times the AC, pool pump, range, dryer, hot water heater, all run simultaneously with lights, TVs, other stuff on.
I think I can get 1 level 2 charger in without issue. I'm probably going to opt for an intelligent dual charger so both 2 EVs can charge simultaneously. Most I think switch power intelligently (both at half power, one then the other, switch one to full power when other is full, etc) and are controllable via WiFi.
I may at some point install a 3rd charger for guests that can be accessed from the driveway. This may be just a 240V, 20A external outlet.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
The Juice Box 40 Next Generation will charge at an actual 40 amps IF you have a 50 amp circuit. (40 is 80% of 50). If you have a 40 amp circuit it will only charge at 32 amps. I believe the max charge rate can be adjusted. The Costco unit above is $50 cheaper than the unit on the vendor website, however I am not sure the unit is exactly the same unit. This unit on the manufactures site and on amazon has a 25 ft charge cable. The Costco unit has only has only a 20 ft charge cable (close out ?). One advantage of this plug in unit vs Ford Connected unit is that if you have a 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle you can use either the Ford mobile charger or the Juice Box 40 Next Generation with the same circuit, but not at the same time of course. I'm not an electrician either but have spent a lot of time reading the specs and installation manual since that is what I plan to buy.
I was off on the 80%, you're correct it's 80% of the breaker not the charger. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,008 Posts
Agree 100%. The risk/reward analysis says stay away from cheapo knockoffs.
Agreed. The real question we don't know at this point is the features the Ford unit will pack. We know what the latest, app-controlled Clipper Creek and Juice Box can do. Will the Ford offer anything more? How much will it cost?

More importantly, when will Ford answer these questions?

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Agreed. The real question we don't know at this point is the features the Ford unit will pack. We know what the latest, app-controlled Clipper Creek and Juice Box can do. Will the Ford offer anything more? How much will it cost?

You make a great point, while I understand that Ford may still have some unanswered issues relating to the engineering and release of the MME, at this late stage of the process they should have figured out the charging station issues. Musk is great at putting out announcements on everything that he may (or may not) have in the pipeline. I do not understand why Ford isn't making daily/weekly announcements to the various automotive publications and the dealers on what they do know about updates on the MME. A simple example of this would be that it's now months to release and perhaps 30 to 60 days to accepting orders and they still haven't announced the selling price. I don't get it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Will the Ford offer anything more? How much will it cost?

A simple example of this would be that it's now months to release and perhaps 30 to 60 days to accepting orders and they still haven't announced the selling price. I don't get it.
Hey, we did find out today that the new Marketing director for electrification has lived on 5 continents, including 2 different states in the US.
</sarcasm>

I suppose they're going to figure out some of that sometime soon... maybe...
</more-sarcasm>

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Hey, we did find out today that the new Marketing director for electrification has lived on 5 continents, including 2 different states in the US.
</sarcasm>

I suppose they're going to figure out some of that sometime soon... maybe...
</more-sarcasm>
Maybe that's the problem, he can't figure out what type of plug to use.:unsure:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts