Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was revealed in China today in as the SUV e:concept and looks ready to rival the Mustang Mach-E, along with other sporty electric SUV's. Honda wouldn't say much but chances are China will be one of the key initial launch markets. I don't see why the U.S. wouldn't be one too.

What does everyone think?

Honda:
"Honda SUV e:concept is a concept model which indicates the direction of a future mass-production model of the Honda brand?s first EV to be introduced in China.

Honda is striving to develop a mass-production EV model which will offer a value based on mobility experiences that remain fresh and FUN for customers. To this end, the new EV model will be equipped with omnidirectional ADAS, the next-generation Honda SENSING safety and driver-assistive system with improved recognition, predication and decision-making performance, as well as the next-generation Honda CONNECT, which features an AI assistant interface, smartphone link and wireless updates made possible by advanced connectivity."

·
Registered
23 Posts
It was revealed in China today in as the SUV e:concept and looks ready to rival the Mustang Mach-E, along with other sporty electric SUV's. Honda wouldn't say much but chances are China will be one of the key initial launch markets. I don't see why the U.S. wouldn't be one too.

What does everyone think?
View attachment 2554
View attachment 2555

Honda:
"Honda SUV e:concept is a concept model which indicates the direction of a future mass-production model of the Honda brand?s first EV to be introduced in China.

Honda is striving to develop a mass-production EV model which will offer a value based on mobility experiences that remain fresh and FUN for customers. To this end, the new EV model will be equipped with omnidirectional ADAS, the next-generation Honda SENSING safety and driver-assistive system with improved recognition, predication and decision-making performance, as well as the next-generation Honda CONNECT, which features an AI assistant interface, smartphone link and wireless updates made possible by advanced connectivity."
Honda has always been known as producing sturdy reliable consumer vehicles. While, this eConcept has a nice funky look, I do not see it as a competitor. Also, by the time it is mass produced, Ford should be ready for its second generation CUV among several other line ups AND other manufacturer competitors. That said, there is a consumer for all the different tastes of available cars.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is just one of those concepts that aren't about a single production vehicle, but a very high level view of features to come. The end product will be a MME/Nissan Ariya/Volkswagen ID.4/etc. type of vehicle. There's not much else different they can do.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Drawing some pictures of the outside of a concept is a far cry from delivering a competitive production vehicle. Especially when you have made no visible effort to actually, you know, develop a BEV

·
Registered
218 Posts
I own my first and likely my last Honda (a hand-me-down from the grandparents to my son). They are so common that I've driven a dozens of them though. Different models from Civics to high end Acuras. About the only Honda I've not driven is the NSX.
IMO they all suck. At some point just about their entire fleet went FWD. The driving dynamics are just awful across the board. Keep in mind that all their AWD vehicles are are actually FWD and only send power to the rears when sensing slip. I understand that I'm the oddball since they seem to be so popular. I don't care how reliable they are. Most cars are pretty darned reliable these days. A car I enjoy driving that's in the shop for unscheduled repair for a couple of days a year sucks for those couple of days. A car I don't enjoy driving sucks every day of the year.
That all said... I was pleasantly surprised when VW went RWD with the ID.4. Could Honda follow?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
726 Posts
I own my first and likely my last Honda (a hand-me-down from the grandparents to my son). They are so common that I've driven a dozens of them though. Different models from Civics to high end Acuras. About the only Honda I've not driven is the NSX.
IMO they all suck. At some point just about their entire fleet went FWD. The driving dynamics are just awful across the board. Keep in mind that all their AWD vehicles are are actually FWD and only send power to the rears when sensing slip. I understand that I'm the oddball since they seem to be so popular. I don't care how reliable they are. Most cars are pretty darned reliable these days. A car I enjoy driving that's in the shop for unscheduled repair for a couple of days a year sucks for those couple of days. A car I don't enjoy driving sucks every day of the year.
That all said... I was pleasantly surprised when VW went RWD with the ID.4. Could Honda follow?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
My son is now on his fourth Honda, a Pilot and before that three Accords.

He usually puts between 40K and 50K over a three year lease.

He has had no costs other than oil and filter changes. Even the tires lasted the lease term.

He is absolutely sold on Hondas.

Before getting the Accord's he and his wife both test drove the Camry. As compared to the Toyota the Accord felt like a "sports car". I drove both and agree.

I previously owned two MDX's and loved both of them. The AWD, FWD biased in the snow was the best car I have ever driven. I had at least three or four trips to Vermont in blizzard conditions, while other cars pulled off, I had no trouble in the MDX. In the road was open I got through. I also installed a trailer hitch and moved my kids to Hanover, New Haven, Philadelphia and Washington DC all towing a UHaul behind and my 23 sailboat as well. No problems and no maintenance other than oil and filter changes.

Just my and my families experience.

We love Hondas!

·
Registered
218 Posts
My son is now on his fourth Honda, a Pilot and before that three Accords.

He usually puts between 40K and 50K over a three year lease.

He has had no costs other than oil and filter changes. Even the tires lasted the lease term.

He is absolutely sold on Hondas.

Before getting the Accord's he and his wife both test drove the Camry. As compared to the Toyota the Accord felt like a "sports car". I drove both and agree.

I previously owned two MDX's and loved both of them. The AWD, FWD biased in the snow was the best car I have ever driven. I had at least three or four trips to Vermont in blizzard conditions, while other cars pulled off, I had no trouble in the MDX. In the road was open I got through. I also installed a trailer hitch and moved my kids to Hanover, New Haven, Philadelphia and Washington DC all towing a UHaul behind and my 23 sailboat as well. No problems and no maintenance other than oil and filter changes.

Just my and my families experience.

We love Hondas!

"De gustibus non est disputandum."

No argument that they are reliable cars and people like them. If you thought the Accord drove like a sports car (albeit compared to a Camry), Without having driven or seen a MME in person, I think you are going to be extremely happy with MME. There's a reason why all of the high end cars are RWD or rear biased.

I've driven plenty of FWD cars that are dependable transportation and got the job done. There isn't a single one of them I enjoyed driving. For me, I need more than getting from point A to B.

·
Registered
726 Posts

No argument that they are reliable cars and people like them. If you thought the Accord drove like a sports car (albeit compared to a Camry), Without having driven or seen a MME in person, I think you are going to be extremely happy with MME. There's a reason why all of the high end cars are RWD or rear biased.

I've driven plenty of FWD cars that are dependable transportation and got the job done. There isn't a single one of them I enjoyed driving. For me, I need more than getting from point A to B.

It was only in comparison to the Toyota Camry.

My present car is an E450 Mercedes. The MME is a replacement for the E450. The price differential is about $10,000 in favor of the MME. I am not expecting the same level of luxury in the interior of the MME as in the E450 but I am expecting a similar or better driving experience.

Our other car is a Ford Edge Sport aka Ford Edge ST and we just sold our Porsche Boxster.

So I have experience with both luxury and sport and I can properly evaluate the MME.

FYI, I have also driven the Tesla Model S and 3 and while I felt the interior was sub German standards and more like a standard Ford interior, the driving experience was fantastic! The acceleration and on the Model 3 "point and shoot" handling like the Boxster but with 5 seats and quiet!

·
Registered
218 Posts
It was only in comparison to the Toyota Camry.

My present car is an E450 Mercedes. The MME is a replacement for the E450. The price differential is about $10,000 in favor of the MME. I am not expecting the same level of luxury in the interior of the MME as in the E450 but I am expecting a similar or better driving experience.

Our other car is a Ford Edge Sport aka Ford Edge ST and we just sold our Porsche Boxster.

So I have experience with both luxury and sport and I can properly evaluate the MME.

FYI, I have also driven the Tesla Model S and 3 and while I felt the interior was sub German standards and more like a standard Ford interior, the driving experience was fantastic! The acceleration and on the Model 3 "point and shoot" handling like the Boxster but with 5 seats and quiet!

The E450 you say? Now you're talking. The inline 6 is my favorite engine. Naturally balanced, better than a V8 IMO. I'm also attached to an I6 due to sentimental reasons. Our first family car had a slant 6. It took us everywhere and refused to die.

One of the best vehicles I've had was an E30 BMW with older, mechanical valve lifter I6... most smooth pulling, connected driving experience ever. I don't think I'm alone as older E30s are increasing in value. Sadly mine was stolen outside my wife's (then my girlfriend's) apt.

For me... The better the car drives, the less I care about the interior, amenities... I could live without AC and roll the windows down if the car was fun enough.

What will Honda build?

·
Super Moderator
1,224 Posts
The E450 you say? Now you're talking. The inline 6 is my favorite engine. Naturally balanced, better than a V8 IMO. I'm also attached to an I6 due to sentimental reasons. Our first family car had a slant 6. It took us everywhere and refused to die.

One of the best vehicles I've had was an E30 BMW with older, mechanical valve lifter I6... most smooth pulling, connected driving experience ever. I don't think I'm alone as older E30s are increasing in value. Sadly mine was stolen outside my wife's (then my girlfriend's) apt.

For me... The better the car drives, the less I care about the interior, amenities... I could live without AC and roll the windows down if the car was fun enough.

What will Honda build?
I also prefer the driving dynamics of Honda over Toyota. And I’m sure this prototype will be a fine vehicle if they put the proper resources behind it.

I think, though, the Mach-E will be a different sort of animal. From all I can tell, Ford is targeting the build of the MMe to what you could call near-luxury, or high-end mainstream, whichever you prefer. And based on Ford linking the Mustang heritage to the MMe (Thereby mandating enhanced handling), tied with the low center of gravity and insta-torque of EV motors, I believe the MMe is going to be more than just another electric crossover.

I do know we are all sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for the first series of full-length, hands-on reviews. Fingers-crossed.

·
Registered
726 Posts

What will Honda build?
BMW still uses inline six. Mine is a 2019 on lease. The E Class Mercedes until 2021 were V6, twin turbo. Starting in 2021 the six's in the E Class switched to I6 with 48 volt partial electric.

Before the Mercedes I had two 535 BMW all inline 6 with turbo. Honestly I can not tell the difference between I6 and V6. However with each car the interior was quieter and the interior of my present E450 is as luxurious as an S class. Fit, finish and material are second to none. Just sitting in the car it brings a smile to my face.

As I posted I do not expect the same attention to detail in the First Edition, but I expect equal to or better handling, ride and acceleration. If not I will stick with Mercedes until they, Audi or BMW comes out with an EV.

·
Registered
Grabber Blue FE
77 Posts
Honda makes great cars but they have been very reluctant to get into the EV game and it's going to hurt them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts