Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems concerning. From the Institution of Mechanical Engineers

"Fast-charging of electric batteries can ruin their capacity after just 25 charges, researchers have said, after they ran experiments on batteries used in some popular electric cars."

"For the first 13 charging cycles, the battery storage capacities for both charging techniques reportedly remained similar. After that, however, the industry fast-charging technique caused capacity to fade much faster – after 40 charges the batteries only had 60% of their storage capacity."

·
Registered
2009 Ford Focus. Hopefully soon 2021 Premium Mach E RWD ER
66 Posts
It would be nice to get more info on this. I've seen lots of conflicting information. Some info seems to say liquid cooling and modern bms will help manage and mitigate damage to the battery. But for some of us that will have to rely on public charging, it would be nice to get some definitive facts on whether this is a viable option for us. I feel like I've read of tesla owners that charge purely from superchargers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You'll find all the answers on Li-on batteries here:

www.batteryuniversity.com

DC fast charging will increase battery degradation by a percent or two. I fast charge almost exclusively and have 6% battery degradation after less than two years and 25,000 miles. Someone home charging and just adding 20% a day vs. my charging of 60-80% a day would see in the 2-3% battery degradation range.

·
Registered
2009 Ford Focus. Hopefully soon 2021 Premium Mach E RWD ER
66 Posts
Thanks for the update. These kinds of first hand accounts help re-assure me to stay with my first EV purchase. And the MME is the one I want it to be!

You'll find all the answers on Li-on batteries here:

www.batteryuniversity.com

DC fast charging will increase battery degradation by a percent or two. I fast charge almost exclusively and have 6% battery degradation after less than two years and 25,000 miles. Someone home charging and just adding 20% a day vs. my charging of 60-80% a day would see in the 2-3% battery degradation range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts