Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently own a hybrid vehicle. On occasion we will leave the car running with the A/C on to keep it cool for someone waiting for us, or to keep groceries cool while we have dinner out. The hybrid allows us to do this for as long as there is enough gas in the tank.

Does the Mach-E allow us to do this?

·
Registered
2021 MME, FE, 4X, Carbonized Gray Matallic
220 Posts
We currently own a hybrid vehicle. On occasion we will leave the car running with the A/C on to keep it cool for someone waiting for us, or to keep groceries cool while we have dinner out. The hybrid allows us to do this for as long as there is enough gas in the tank.

Does the Mach-E allow us to do this?
Aloha, Good question. I don't know the answer, but if you don't already have your MME, I would be happy to test it out for you. I assume that you are talking about an unoccupied car without a key inside of the car? I have remote started several times so that the cabin would be cooled when I got to the car. I think that, at most, it was idling for 15 minutes tops. It was always on when I returned. Don't forget to disable the inside motion sensors, if you are going to leave the car "off" with someone, or a pet, inside. And be safe doing that. Let me know if you want me to run the test.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Aloha, Good question. I don't know the answer, but if you don't already have your MME, I would be happy to test it out for you. I assume that you are talking about an unoccupied car without a key inside of the car? I have remote started several times so that the cabin would be cooled when I got to the car. I think that, at most, it was idling for 15 minutes tops. It was always on when I returned. Don't forget to disable the inside motion sensors, if you are going to leave the car "off" with someone, or a pet, inside. And be safe doing that. Let me know if you want me to run the test.
yep remote start time interval can be set to I believe 5 10 or 15 minutes. I'd be interested to know if it will cut off if you park, and walk away. I'm guessing theoretically until you turn it off. but I'd like to know as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Fred. I have not received my MME yet, although the build date is scheduled for 8/16. This issue is a deal-breaker for us, as we will not accept a vehicle that cannot accommodate our need to keep the vehicle running for extended periods of time, unattended. It would be GREAT if you can run the test for me. I presume the vehicle cannot be left plugged in for the test, however, as the car may act differently if plugged into a power source. I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere else, so if you would be so kind as to test this functionality, I would VERY MUCH appreciate it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello Fred. I have not received my MME yet, although the build date is scheduled for 8/16. This issue is a deal-breaker for us, as we will not accept a vehicle that cannot accommodate our need to keep the vehicle running for extended periods of time, unattended. It would be GREAT if you can run the test for me. I presume the vehicle cannot be left plugged in for the test, however, as the car may act differently if plugged into a power source. I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere else, so if you would be so kind as to test this functionality, I would VERY MUCH appreciate it.
Aloha, happy to do it. Test number one is underway now. I remote started, not plugged in,. I noticed the "Extend" button on the FordPass App. I hit it once but only got extended back as feedback. Standby...
Screenshot_20210717-061819_FordPass.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! Thanks so much for doing this. Hopefully your findings will help other owners and prospective buyers as well!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aloha, see the updated from my FordPass App. Looks like I can add 15 minutes more idle time. I'm not sure if adding minutes is what you had in mind. I will keep adding time until I can not.

Screenshot_20210717-063313_FordPass.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is a big deal for me too. I often travel with my dog. I need to KNOW I can count on the AC running on a hot day while I’m somewhere he isn’t welcome. I try to avoid those situations but sometimes can’t.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the only way to extend idle, unattended run time is to babysit a 15 minute recurring timer, this may not be the vehicle for us. There are times we may leave a dog or groceries for 2-3 hours before returning to the car, and it won’t work if we have to constantly remember to add another 15 min increment. This is a late discovery and may change our decision to take delivery. I appreciate your assistance to get a definite answer to this question.

·
Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
163 Posts
This is a big deal for me too. I often travel with my dog. I need to KNOW I can count on the AC running on a hot day while I’m somewhere he isn’t welcome. I try to avoid those situations but sometimes can’t.
Ford needs to give us a pet mode like Tesla’s have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the only way to extend idle, unattended run time is to babysit a 15 minute recurring timer, this may not be the vehicle for us. There are times we may leave a dog or groceries for 2-3 hours before returning to the car, and it won’t work if we have to constantly remember to add another 15 min increment. This is a late discovery and may change our decision to take delivery. I appreciate your assistance to get a definite answer to this question.
The timer only applies to remote start. If you park and leave the car powered on, there is a 30 minute shutdown timer. This can be disabled in one of the settings menus, and will re-enable itself on your next trip. With the shutdown timer disabled, the car will stay on indefinitely. The only annoyance (to me anyway) is it will give two short horn blasts when you exit the car, to warn you that you left it on. I've used this to keep the car cool for a dog for up to a couple hours. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't check via the app to make sure the car's still on and confirm the interior temperature. You can try to remote start it and the app will tell you that it can't remote start because the car is already on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Great! Thanks so much for doing this. Hopefully your findings will help other owners and prospective buyers as well!
Aloha, first test completed. MME idled for 15 minutes then shut off. That was with me pressing the +15 minutes extend button. For the next test I will start the car and leave the key inside. Please do read the owners manual as I may have did something wrong in my test. There may be a way to get more time from a remote start. I will be washing my car after breakfast so give me a few hours to report the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The timer only applies to remote start. If you park and leave the car powered on, there is a 30 minute shutdown timer. This can be disabled in one of the settings menus, and will re-enable itself on your next trip. With the shutdown timer disabled, the car will stay on indefinitely. The only annoyance (to me anyway) is it will give two short horn blasts when you exit the car, to warn you that you left it on. I've used this to keep the car cool for a dog for up to a couple hours. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't check via the app to make sure the car's still on and confirm the interior temperature. You can try to remote start it and the app will tell you that it can't remote start because the car is already on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good to know but brings another question to mind. In my ICE vehicle it’s obvious to anyone near that the engine is running. How obvious is it the MME AC is running?

As a rather fanatic dog person, if I see a dog alone in a car on a potentially lethal hot day, the window will remain intact for exactly as long as it takes me to run and get the nearest heavy object. I haven’t ended up arrested yet but frankly I don’t care.

I may print a sign “Electric Vehicle: you don’t hear an engine but the AC is running.”.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hitchhiker, that is GREAT news. I was thinking I needed to cancel my MME order and move to the Tesla (because Larry-E mentioned they actually have a "Pet Mode").
This is a critical feature for me to have, so would you mind providing me the procedure for drilling down into the settings menu to disable that 30 minute timer? I was unable to find that detail in the very long owner's manual, but it is important I find it and confirm it can work as we need. Too bad it won't allow for permanent disabling, but that's ok. We don't need it often, and I'm sure we will remember to disable it on those occasions we do. If you can describe the step-by-step procedure for disabling the shutdown timer, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to know but brings another question to mind. In my ICE vehicle it’s obvious to anyone near that the engine is running. How obvious is it the MME AC is running?

As a rather fanatic dog person, if I see a dog alone in a car on a potentially lethal hot day, the window will remain intact for exactly as long as it takes me to run and get the nearest heavy object. I haven’t ended up arrested yet but frankly I don’t care.

I may print a sign “Electric Vehicle: you don’t hear an engine but the AC is running.”.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Larry-E, I agree with you. And having used a hybrid vehicle for running the a/c with a dog inside, when I have to leave the dog inside I put a sign on the window that says: "DON'T WORRY ABOUT OUR DOG IN THE CAR. THIS CAR IS RUNNING WITH THE A/C ON. OUR DOG IS PROBABLY MORE COMFORTABLE THAN YOU ARE." No broken windows in 16 years !!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looking at page 148 of the manual it says once you start the car (with the start button) it will remain on until you press the start button to shut down.

·
Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
163 Posts
Hitchhiker, that is GREAT news. I was thinking I needed to cancel my MME order and move to the Tesla (because Larry-E mentioned they actually have a "Pet Mode").
This is a critical feature for me to have, so would you mind providing me the procedure for drilling down into the settings menu to disable that 30 minute timer? I was unable to find that detail in the very long owner's manual, but it is important I find it and confirm it can work as we need. Too bad it won't allow for permanent disabling, but that's ok. We don't need it often, and I'm sure we will remember to disable it on those occasions we do. If you can describe the step-by-step procedure for disabling the shutdown timer, that would be awesome.
I exited my ME one time with the FOB forgetting to turn it off. The horn beeped to remind me but also would not let me lock the vehicle. Perhaps you can lock it from the Ford Pass app. I haven’t tried it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aloha hitchhiker,

Well, 30 minutes into my test, my MME shutdown just as you reported. @Space White MachE I think that the evidence is clear. 30 minutes with the key inside and 15 minutes with remote start. I would still recommend that you do some additional research to confirm that my report on my test is accurate. The MME is a great car; I'm sure that you would really enjoy it if you were to bring the one that you ordered home! Maybe consider getting a plug-in ice chest to keep your groceries cold. Best wishes for your pending decision!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts