Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've seen an estimate from a Ford source that these hand-built beauties are about $1/2 million a pop, so there can't be many out there. Let's try a crowd-sourcing project to find out how many Mustang Mach E prototypes there are. This can also help us with the interminable debates about color, especially when seen under those stupid blue lights they are using in US auto shows.

Here's the link with a few of the first vehicles in it. I've only started with the three used in the unveiling (Grabber Blue GT, Rapid Red Premium, Star White Premium), the other (?) Rapid Red used in winter testing, the Carbonized Gray from the KC Auto Show, the black/white mule in Ontario (with trailer hitch), and the Iconic Silver from the Mexico plant (actually a production prototype, not hand-built). Please start filling in the blanks.

UK/Europe: Please enter yours for the Shows (like the London launch event) and Dealer Demos (you've been lucky to get those!).

·
Registered
89 Posts
We've seen an estimate from a Ford source that these hand-built beauties are about $1/2 million a pop, so there can't be many out there. Let's try a crowd-sourcing project to find out how many Mustang Mach E prototypes there are. This can also help us with the interminable debates about color, especially when seen under those stupid blue lights they are using in US auto shows.

Here's the link with a few of the first vehicles in it. I've only started with the three used in the unveiling (Grabber Blue GT, Rapid Red Premium, Star White Premium), the other (?) Rapid Red used in winter testing, the Carbonized Gray from the KC Auto Show, the black/white mule in Ontario (with trailer hitch), and the Iconic Silver from the Mexico plant (actually a production prototype, not hand-built). Please start filling in the blanks.

UK/Europe: Please enter yours for the Shows (like the London launch event) and Dealer Demos (you've been lucky to get those!).

Great job posting this data,

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only started it. Please fill in the blanks from events videos or sightings you know about.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two new Detroit sightings added to the sheet.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My guess is this would be a premium (because of black gloss trim), rwd ( no 4), standard range (no X)
Agreed. Plus the black nose oval is the smooth variety used for the Premium rather than the ribbed black oval used in the Select.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I wonder if it's the same one we saw before. These two shots just emerged, too.

With the news coming out that over 90 came off the line in Cuautitlan before Covid-19 shut it down, there are lots of the assembly line generation of prototypes running around!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A new clue on prototypes: Do they have nicknames?
Check out this one just posted:
One you get past that adorable Bernedoodle, you see the yellow labels. We've seen the numeric label before but this one has the nickname "Donkey Kong". Is that unique to the frankenstein mules or are there nicknames on the polished prototypes as well?

·
Registered
756 Posts
A new clue on prototypes: Do they have nicknames?
Check out this one just posted:
One you get past that adorable Bernedoodle, you see the yellow labels. We've seen the numeric label before but this one has the nickname "Donkey Kong". Is that unique to the frankenstein mules or are there nicknames on the polished prototypes as well?

View attachment 1341
I can't say that I've seen that before but you might be on to something there. I wonder if any of the other Mach-E photos have that yellow strip.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't say that I've seen that before but you might be on to something there. I wonder if any of the other Mach-E photos have that yellow strip.
We've seen that top strip with the numbers at the rear view mirror. Not sure if we've seen this lower one with the nickname. I do seem to recall seeing a couple of yellow strips on a prior car, though. Usually the pics are from too far away or too low a resolution to read them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
On the forums, we've seen some test vehicles showing up with the yellow name tags visible. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names but I think they were also Nintendo character themed like Bowser for instance.

Also plenty of pictures out there where we can see the yellow tags but not get a clear shot to read them, like these ones from November:
It's nice to see the engineers having fun with the names. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ah, found them -- Koopa and Bowser. :)

the-other-site-name slash site/threads/a-trio-of-mach-es-charging-at-electrify-america-silver-sighting.282/

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts
Ah, found them -- Koopa and Bowser. :)

the-other-site-name slash site/threads/a-trio-of-mach-es-charging-at-electrify-america-silver-sighting.282/
I think it makes sense that the hand made initial few were more "near and dear" and ended up with names. (y)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts