Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the old forums, GOOGLE, and the On-Line owners manual, but I still can't figure out how to change the backup code for starting the car without iPhone or FOB.
I DID remember the access code and I can get into the car, but I can't find the 8-10 character backup code that I set up when I first got the car 6 months ago.

·
Registered
2021 ME FE Grabber Blue
412 Posts
I have searched the old forums, GOOGLE, and the On-Line owners manual, but I still can't figure out how to change the backup code for starting the car without iPhone or FOB.
I DID remember the access code and I can get into the car, but I can't find the 8-10 character backup code that I set up when I first got the car 6 months ago.
Go to Settings in Sync screen. Select Vehicle then scroll down to Backup Start Passcode. You can reset it or delete it.
Other option is remove PAAK and reinstall.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
54 Posts
Got it...THANKS.

BTW, my wife's Passcode has to be different than mine!
Each phone allows you to setup a passcode, if you want to.

There is nothing stopping you from NOT setting up one for your wife, and she uses the one that you setup, since neither the fob nor the phone is present when using the code... ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Strange, it said "This passcode is already in use...Set up a different one"
Back up. "Would you like to setup a backup code"?

now she uses yours...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
No biggie....just added an extra $ to mine, so she has her own.
don't know about you but what I did when I created the start code, I wrote the code on the key card you get with the car that has the door code on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And put that where?

·
Registered
54 Posts
No biggie....just added an extra $ to mine, so she has her own.
Just so you get that a backup code isn't "his" or "hers". Doesn't belong to a phone, or a fob. 500 people could use that code. So, unless there is a reason to have unique codes (employees), there is no reason to setup more than one.

Same with the door code. You cannot change the original code. Removing the card is smart, but know that anyone with access to the interior of the vehicle can find where it's printed on something. Set your own code(s), remembering that the original code exists.

I put my codes in my phone under a specific directory listing. I rarely use the keypad. It will also open the frunk (2022s and late 2021s), lock and unlock the doors, open the trunk, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is really easy to change. Start the car, you need to have your FOB with you, on the screen go to setting, scroll down to passcode (sorry I am not near my car right now), and you will find where it allows you to change the backup password (you don't need to change the code on your smart phone, but you can if you want to). Yes, the directions are not in the user manual.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It is really easy to change. Start the car, you need to have your FOB with you, on the screen go to setting, scroll down to passcode (sorry I am not near my car right now), and you will find where it allows you to change the backup password (you don't need to change the code on your smart phone, but you can if you want to). Yes, the directions are not in the user manual.
people also need to be mindful that if you delete the PAAK, your start code also clears, so you have to reconfigure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts