Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mach E Select AWD Infinite Blue Metallic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to make this post regarding how the Mach E will handle in the winter (I have a Select AWD) since it's approaching fast (we also had our first batch of snow dumped on us too).

However, the real issue I'm sort concerned about is about rust and other things, especially here in Michigan, where lots of salt is used on the roads. Is there any protection from the elements and road salt for the undercarriage? Also how should I go about to washing my car if salt does get on it? How often?

Thanks,

goforlifejr

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's -15F here in central Alaska this week. No problems with my 9 month old FE. Runs fine and stays plenty warm. Range is down about 40%, but since the car is fully charged every morning the car can still easily handle the daily drive and errands and still have multiple days in reserve when I get back home. I did install a 4 quality winter tires - Continental Wintercontact 860S because I find all-weather OEMs borderline dangerous in cold icy conditions.

No salt problems here because it doesn't work at our temps - so DOT doesn't spread it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just cant figure out how to keep the car warm with out the E-Heat we are in USA NY. I do not understand how to get any heat out of the care unless E-Heat is on, I can use help please.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can alternatively use seat heat and steering wheel heat, but there is no passive heat source for the Mach E. If you want to warm the whole cabin you need to use EHeat. I don't understand people's reluctance to use it. Sure, it decreases range, but if you are recharging every night and have the typical daily commute, you should be every bit as warm as in your ICE without any range worry.
On a daily basis, your Mach E will likely have more winter range than your ICE since the Mach E will be leaving the garage with a full "tank" every day (unless, of course, you are filling your ICE's gas tank every day, too).

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can alternatively use seat heat and steering wheel heat, but there is no passive heat source for the Mach E. If you want to warm the whole cabin you need to use EHeat. I don't understand people's reluctance to use it. Sure, it decreases range, but if you are recharging every night and have the typical daily commute, you should be every bit as warm as in your ICE without any range worry.
On a daily basis, your Mach E will likely have more winter range than your ICE since the Mach E will be leaving the garage with a full "tank" every day (unless, of course, you are filling your ICE's gas tank every day, too).
I just was not sure if any other way to make heat in this car, no issue with using e-heat just wanted a better understanding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in the Boston area. FWIW, it looks like the colder weather has affected the range gauge (aka Guess-O-Meter") more than the actual range for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree. It’s however surprising to see 30% of battery use for climate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in WI. It has started to get cold. I only drive 10 miles round trip to the office. Should I plug it in every night? I have a 240 in my garage (insulated but not heated)

·
Registered
2021 MACH -e 4X Black
15 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to make this post regarding how the Mach E will handle in the winter (I have a Select AWD) since it's approaching fast (we also had our first batch of snow dumped on us too).

However, the real issue I'm sort concerned about is about rust and other things, especially here in Michigan, where lots of salt is used on the roads. Is there any protection from the elements and road salt for the undercarriage? Also how should I go about to washing my car if salt does get on it? How often?

Thanks,

goforlifejr
Wash it only when the temp is above freezing, the bottom of your car does have a cover for the batteries but the suspension is just like a regular car so wash it as often as possible.
One more thing- buy 4 show tires for it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I live in sc and we plug the car in every night to charge it to 90 percent. Currently it gets to 40 deg during the night. 10 mins before we leave we hit the remote start and let the car heat up with e heat and the seat heaters and steering wheel heat on. (Plugged in).
Then we turn the E heat of and start driving .
We are still at 260 miles per battery charge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's -15F here in central Alaska this week. No problems with my 9 month old FE. Runs fine and stays plenty warm. Range is down about 40%, but since the car is fully charged every morning the car can still easily handle the daily drive and errands and still have multiple days in reserve when I get back home. I did install a 4 quality winter tires - Continental Wintercontact 860S because I find all-weather OEMs borderline dangerous in cold icy conditions.

No salt problems here because it doesn't work at our temps - so DOT doesn't spread it.
Day trips to Alyeska might be challenging from Anchorage. I hope Girdwood has some chargers there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree. It’s however surprising to see 30% of battery use for climate.
Not everyone has a garage to charge up in. Electric vehicles need to be for everyone and very many people have homes that don't have personal parking garages or even spaces. The public garage where I used to charge ChargePoint station broke a month ago so I don't have a convenient way to charge any more. And if I want to go see friends that live 20 to 50 miles away, I almost have to use expensive and destructive rapid charging. If EVs are going to work and make an impact on the environment the public charging has to get better. I expected these kinds of problems when I was thinking of buying the car, but not the substantial loss in range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How will the Mach E fare in the winter? Short answer; not good.
Since the cold has started here I've had nothing but trouble from this car; charger failure followed by 12V failure, which was followed by AWD and traction control failure and topped off by a woefully underperforming cabin heating unit. So 2 towings and 2 months of repair shop time later I've got a 5 month old car with about 2 months worth of usage...not good for 75K$.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How will the Mach E fare in the winter? Short answer; not good.
Since the cold has started here I've had nothing but trouble from this car; charger failure followed by 12V failure, which was followed by AWD and traction control failure and topped off by a woefully underperforming cabin heating unit. So 2 towings and 2 months of repair shop time later I've got a 5 month old car with about 2 months worth of usage...not good for 75K$.
I have had a number of glitches here in Chicago, the seat warnings for passenger and rear seat activate. I have had a notice of a fault for the 12 V battery but the dealer said to drive it, and I think charging the whole vehicle will reset it, or even turning it on for a while. I am not sure what else to expect, I don't take it out much in snow conditions like we have had here for the last couple of days.
I wonder if the same software developers are doing the blue cruise, I hope not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts