Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Limited Availability Hummer EV Edition 1 Starting at: $112,595. Available: Fall 2021. "Less outrageous" models available later at lower cost.

Outrageous... they'll sell a a handful and not even make a baby step in GM's transition to BEVs. First the Lyriq and now this. Elon must be laughing his a$$ off tonight.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
I think this is far more about getting people talking about GM and Tesla in the same sentence as it is actually selling trucks. This will not be a million unit a year truck, that's for darn sure. This will be rarer than Escalades. But the fact that when people talk Cybertruck they'll have to mention GMC is valuable in itself.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
I think this is far more about getting people talking about GM and Tesla in the same sentence as it is actually selling trucks. This will not be a million unit a year truck, that's for darn sure. This will be rarer than Escalades. But the fact that when people talk Cybertruck they'll have to mention GMC is valuable in itself.
The Hummer could put EV startups like Bollinger out of business. This is at their price-point, and looks like a much more capable vehicle. The Hummer lower spec trims may hurt the high-end Cybertruck sales.

This adds the Hummer to the Cybertruck’s existing set of competition, and not all EVs. Rivian, the new F150 EV, Lordstown and even the Ford Bronco ICE (some of my co-workers have already defected from the Cybertruck to the Bronco).

Interesting times.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Hummer could put EV startups like Bollinger out of business. This is at their price-point, and looks like a much more capable vehicle. The Hummer lower spec trims may hurt the high-end Cybertruck sales.

This adds the Hummer to the Cybertruck’s existing set of competition, and not all EVs. Rivian, the new F150 EV, Lordstown and even the Ford Bronco ICE (some of my co-workers have already defected from the Cybertruck to the Bronco).

Interesting times.
Very interesting times. It's fascinating to see how they pushed the technology forward tonight.

I'm not sure Bollinger had that steady of a future before tonight, but this does dilute the market for ultra-premium BEV off-road trucks even more.

The only reason I say I see it as mostly (but not all) PR, is because it's not until 2024 that the "entry level" $80k one comes out. That's forever from now. We'll have over a year of R1T, F-150 EV, and Cybertruck all on sale together before the first "entry level" Hummer gets sold.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Interesting times.
I think the Hummer is going for a different market altogether. Lowest trim Hummer is $10K more than the highest trim Cybertruck and not available until ~2 years later. GM did land reservations for the full production run of Edition 1... probably a few thousand units. Does anyone else think 250+ mile range for a $80K pickup truck hitting the market in 3-1/2 years ain't gonna cut it?

Here's the Hummer and Cybertruck models.

Hummer EV Edition 1, 3 Motor - $112,595, 350+ mile range, available Fall 2021 - Reservations FULL
Hummer EV 3X, 3 Motor - $99,995, 300+ mile range, available Fall 2022
Hummer EV 2X, 2 Motor - $89,995, 300+ mile range, available Spring 2023
Hummer EV 2, 2 Motor - $79,995, 250+ mile range, available Spring 2024
Cybertruck Tri Motor AWD - $69,900, 500+ mile range, late 2021 production.
Cybertruck Dual Motor AWD - $49,900, 300+ mile range, late 2021 production.
Cybertruck Single Motor RWD - $39,900, 250+ mile range, late 2022 production.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting times. It's fascinating to see how they pushed the technology forward tonight.

I'm not sure Bollinger had that steady of a future before tonight, but this does dilute the market for ultra-premium BEV off-road trucks even more.

The only reason I say I see it as mostly (but not all) PR, is because it's not until 2024 that the "entry level" $80k one comes out. That's forever from now. We'll have over a year of R1T, F-150 EV, and Cybertruck all on sale together before the first "entry level" Hummer gets sold.
A thousand years ago, at the 2019 NYC auto show, I got a close look at the Rivian R1T. Definately not a work truck. The bed was built like a tinker toy. I would never toss firewood in it.... unless I didn't mind massive dents. The Rivian reps I spoke to indicated the market they're after in that of a lifestyle vehicle with some light duty DIY homeowner stuff.

The Cyber truck remains to be seen but apparently they're going after the work truck and the lifestyle vehicle market.

Not sure what the Hummer is going after at that price point...

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
A thousand years ago, at the 2019 NYC auto show, I got a close look at the Rivian R1T. Definately not a work truck. The bed was built like a tinker toy. I would never toss firewood in it.... unless I didn't mind massive dents. The Rivian reps I spoke to indicated the market they're after in that of a lifestyle vehicle with some light duty DIY homeowner stuff.

The Cyber truck remains to be seen but apparently they're going after the work truck and the lifestyle vehicle market.

Yeah, the range seems off.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I guess they haven't learned anything from the great recession. Keep building bigger, more ridiculous, and expensive vehicles and then when the economy turns have nothing anybody wants to buy. That thing will get 50MPGe.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Cybertruck, R1T, and Hummer all seem on the "lifestyle/luxury" side of things, to varying extremes.

I don't really have much hope that Lordstown will make it to production, but they claim a work truck version.

I'm hopeful that the F-150 EV will be just... an F-150 that's an EV, and therefore more of a work truck rather than a "supertruck" like the Hummer.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Cybertruck, R1T, and Hummer all seem on the "lifestyle/luxury" side of things, to varying extremes.

I don't really have much hope that Lordstown will make it to production, but they claim a work truck version.

I'm hopeful that the F-150 EV will be just... an F-150 that's an EV, and therefore more of a work truck rather than a "supertruck" like the Hummer.
I’m expecting the F150 to play to its core, a true work truck. Power and range over speed. I can also see an ‘e-raptor’ variant. If they stray too far, it may hurt them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m expecting the F150 to play to its core, a true work truck. Power and range over speed. I can also see an ‘e-raptor’ variant. If they stray too far, it may hurt them.
The work truck side of things has more potential in the short term, I feel. Fleets and businesses understand total cost of ownership and I think will adopt BEVs faster than retail customers in the absence of incentives.

It would make me very happy to see a Oxford White F-150 EV "XL" Regular Cab at this point more than a Raptor-E - but I'll gladly see both! :p

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The work truck side of things has more potential in the short term, I feel. Fleets and businesses understand total cost of ownership and I think will adopt BEVs faster than retail customers in the absence of incentives.

It would make me very happy to see a Oxford White F-150 EV "XL" Regular Cab at this point more than a Raptor-E - but I'll gladly see both! :p
This is why I think Lordstown may make it. They're going after the fleet market. Highway crews, local utilities, etc. They already have 40,000 units reserved.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts

Watch the "Long Way Up" series on Apple TV+ and watch two Rivian R1Ts used as work trucks. They are the first two prototypes and getting a beating.

Also, a Rivian just finished the Rebelle Rally x-cross class in 6th place out of 30 vehicles.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Watch the "Long Way Up" series on Apple TV+ and watch two Rivian R1Ts used as work trucks. They are the first two prototypes and getting a beating.

Also, a Rivian just finished the Rebelle Rally x-cross class in 6th place out of 30 vehicles.
None of it looks like work to me. Again, I saw that bed. I would not toss firewood in it, load gravel, etc...

Edit... Here's a photo of the bed. There's a reason why work trucks do not have "trunk" built into the bed (a la Ridgeline). The structural rigidity just can't be attained with that thin, flat piece of sheet metal. Toss in some heavy material (logs, construction debris, etc), dent the seam and now you have to pry that trunk loose to get at the spare.

That all said, I'm not knocking the R1T as I believe it's built for an entirely different market than say the LT Endurance or the BEV F150. As an outdoor activity/lifestyle vehicle, it hits the mark.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is why I think Lordstown may make it. They're going after the fleet market. Highway crews, local utilities, etc. They already have 40,000 units reserved.

It's not their product I'm as worried about as how much capital it takes to get a vehicle into production. Rivian can draw out of Amazon's deep pockets (and got some from Ford), not so much with Lordstown. I don't want anyone to fail, just not counting them as a guaranteed success yet either.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not their product I'm as worried about as how much capital it takes to get a vehicle into production. Rivian can draw out of Amazon's deep pockets (and got some from Ford), not so much with Lordstown. I don't want anyone to fail, just not counting them as a guaranteed success yet either.
I think their recent round of financing makes operation into next years production viable. I too want to see them succeed. I have driven by that plant several times over the last few years going out to the Midwest and back and it was sad/depressing to see it empty after GM shuttered Cruz production. Lately there's been some life as Lordstown Motors is gearing up but not near what it was. One advantage that they have is the plant was basically purchased for nothing. Not many startups got that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If I was Rivian I'd be a bit nervous because their R1T has a starting price of around $69,000 and performance wise is in the same category as the Hummer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts