Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
If I was Rivian I'd be a bit nervous because their R1T has a starting price of around $69,000 and performance wise is in the same category as the Hummer.
The first Hummer model coming out is $112K in fall of 2021. Why should Rivian be worried? 2024 the base model arrives at 80K.

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
221 Posts
I think these first ones will sell about the same as the Gold Apple Watch Edition did, and to about the same people.

·
Super Moderator
2,794 Posts
I think these first ones will sell about the same as the Gold Apple Watch Edition did, and to about the same people.
First edition is already sold out.

good thing GM has other EVs in the works, this one is just a tech showcase vehicle.

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
221 Posts
First edition is already sold out.

good thing GM has other EVs in the works, this one is just a tech showcase vehicle.
Not sold out. Reserved out. We have learned there is a big difference as we have watched this play out.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
True.

How much was the reservation cost on a 112k vehicle?
I think it was a $100 deposit. They're not planning to sell too many. I'd bet well under 5,000. Price is in the G-wagon territory. There just ain't too many people at this price range. I can see businesses buying them as marketing/novelty. these are big/heavy enough so they can depreciate/write off all within the year.

·
Super Moderator
2,794 Posts
I think it was a $100 deposit. They're not planning to sell too many. I'd bet well under 5,000. Price is in the G-wagon territory. There just ain't too many people at this price range. I can see businesses buying them as marketing/novelty. these are big/heavy enough so they can depreciate/write off all within the year.
$100 is way too low. All you need are some Tesla fan-bois to go and suck up all the reservations, and boom! Instant failure, all hail the cybertruck.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
$100 is way too low. All you need are some Tesla fan-bois to go and suck up all the reservations, and boom! Instant failure, all hail the cybertruck.
Well it's $100 for every other model so assume Edition 1 was the same. Doubt Tesla and Tesla advocates care all that much about it. as I have laid out above.... I think it's an entirely different market.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just saw that the videos in the rollout announcement were all CGI. The display truck was a non functioning demo with a cord to power the internal features. The are going to deliver trucks in a year??? Maybe they have learned from their other partner, Nikola.

·
Super Moderator
2,794 Posts
I just saw that the videos in the rollout announcement were all CGI. The display truck was a non functioning demo with a cord to power the internal features. The are going to deliver trucks in a year??? Maybe they have learned from their other partner, Nikola.
They will produce it, they may miss their timeline. But, it wouldn’t be the first BEV in the industry to do that.

its just the price point that gets me, it is up there with the uber-expensive SUVs. Everybody seems to be fighting for the luxury price-point (Lucid, etc). While I understand that they are the most profitable vehicles, they seem to forget that most consumers who can benefit from BEVs are not rich.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A thousand years ago, at the 2019 NYC auto show, I got a close look at the Rivian R1T. Definately not a work truck. The bed was built like a tinker toy. I would never toss firewood in it.... unless I didn't mind massive dents. The Rivian reps I spoke to indicated the market they're after in that of a lifestyle vehicle with some light duty DIY homeowner stuff.

The Cyber truck remains to be seen but apparently they're going after the work truck and the lifestyle vehicle market.

Not sure what the Hummer is going after at that price point...
Idiots with money is who they are after.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts