Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a mail from Ford yesterday about the recall for the battery connectors causing loss of power and charging. It stated that the fix will happen over the air updates. I would like to know specifically how the software update is going to fix this issue. I would think it will take away charging efficiency and acceleration. I would rather have my car the way it was intended to be capable of performing, and have them fix the battery connectors with a manual fix.

Relying of software fixes didn't go well for the 737-Max

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
144 Posts
It only allows you to drive to a dealer when it fails so you don't get stranded.
Correct.

Prior to the fix, the car would either shut down or refuse to start. And, often the 12V system would be dead, so you couldn't put it in tow mode. The fix prevents the failure, but signals to the owner and Ford that the HVBJB needs to be replaced, and leaves the car drivable (at least that is the intent).

For those that think that Ford should be replacing the HVBJB right now, instead of just software, where do you think they'd get 50,000 for the US, and how many years do you think it would take to install them?

·
Registered
203 Posts
There have been massive recalls before that companies have handled. Yeah the lowering of the batteries is a pain, but it can be done. Some people wouldn't even respond to the recall. I think the patch may hasten the failures in a more timely manner though, which may be the whole point other than the stranded thing.

·
Registered
Late 2021 Iconic Silver Premium eAWD
59 Posts
It only allows you to drive to a dealer when it fails so you don't get stranded.
So, not entirely sure that is the case, although I'll drive over to my dealer this morning. I was chatting with a Ford 'guide' on the website because I was confused. After over a month of my vehicle being excluded from this potential serious recall all of a sudden a notice pops up and says the recall does indeed affect my VIN. Now? Why not from the beginning. Nice Ford. I also got a notice in the app that says the 2.8.2 update had been successfully applied, with absolutely no reference to what it fixed, including the recall. The recall notice says that you can either take the vehicle into the dealer or apply a power-up software update at home. I asked the Ford guide if the 2.8.2 update negated the need to take the vehicle in, and was told yes, that's the case:

"Thank you for reaching out to us today, Chris. The software does eliminate the need to take it in. You can take it in if you want to, but if you have already performed the update, you should be fine."

So, over a month and all of a sudden my vehicle is affected, but, oh, what a surprise an update with a somewhat vague purpose is available and applied at the same time that doesn't mention at all that it fixes the problem. I suspect that they didn't have the software update available a month ago and so didn't bother to tell me that my vehicle was affected but a potentially serious recall. COME ON FORD! Get your act together like a big boy company that knows how to distribute software updates and communicate bug fixes (and safety recalls) to their customers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So, not entirely sure that is the case, although I'll drive over to my dealer this morning. I was chatting with a Ford 'guide' on the website because I was confused. After over a month of my vehicle being excluded from this potential serious recall all of a sudden a notice pops up and says the recall does indeed affect my VIN. Now? Why not from the beginning. Nice Ford. I also got a notice in the app that says the 2.8.2 update had been successfully applied, with absolutely no reference to what it fixed, including the recall. The recall notice says that you can either take the vehicle into the dealer or apply a power-up software update at home. I asked the Ford guide if the 2.8.2 update negated the need to take the vehicle in, and was told yes, that's the case:

"Thank you for reaching out to us today, Chris. The software does eliminate the need to take it in. You can take it in if you want to, but if you have already performed the update, you should be fine."

So, over a month and all of a sudden my vehicle is affected, but, oh, what a surprise an update with a somewhat vague purpose is available and applied at the same time that doesn't mention at all that it fixes the problem. I suspect that they didn't have the software update available a month ago and so didn't bother to tell me that my vehicle was affected but a potentially serious recall. COME ON FORD! Get your act together like a big boy company that knows how to distribute software updates and communicate bug fixes (and safety recalls) to their customers.
2.8.2 is NOT the update for the recall.

2.8.2 came out in March... It is the last BlueCruise update. It has nothing to do with the recall.

The recall update is starting to roll out OTA now, in waves. If your dealership will do the update, it's 22S41. They should check your vehicle for any other updates.

Also, the recall notice didn't hit FordPass until either yesterday or the day before.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So, a dealer employee hands out incorrect information on a safety recall??? How in the world do you know who to trust?
It was a Ford "guide" via the website, not a dealership employee. But do you believe all dealership employees are experts on every vehicle?

·
Registered
Late 2021 Iconic Silver Premium eAWD
59 Posts
2.8.2 is NOT the update for the recall.

2.8.2 came out in March... It is the last BlueCruise update. It has nothing to do with the recall.

The recall update is starting to roll out OTA now, in waves. If your dealership will do the update, it's 22S41. They should check your vehicle for any other updates.

Also, the recall notice didn't hit FordPass until either yesterday or the day before.
Really good to know.How would one know what the #@$* the update fixes? As I mentioned, the ford pass update shows me nothing specific as to what it actually does. I'm noticing that some other updates are specifically referencing the recalls, but it just shows how Ford doesn't know what one arm of the business is doing since the 'guide' said that it took care of the recall. How does one learn what the updates contain? This was the update I referenced where the Ford rep said you don't need to take it to the dealer for the recall. As you can see, the update says nothing about the actual recall.

To make matters even more interesting, the recall actually came in the mail today as well, so I went to the dealer this morning to inquire. The service manager said that, if you're not getting the error message in the dash, and the rep says you're ok, then I wouldn't worry about the recall, you're probably ok, specifically referencing the 22S41 update. He did not check the vehicle however. By the way, he also said that Ford used to pay the dealers to do the software updates specific to the recall. They no longer do this. So, if you've received the software update fix for the recall on your own at home, then Ford has no way of knowing whether you've done the recall update or not until such time that the vehicle checks in over the network, whenever that will be. So, you say the 2.8.2 update initially dropped in March? So maybe in another 3 months or so (you mentioned waves) I'll get the recall software update. SMH at Ford. Thanks for th input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Service Manager is an idiot. And he gets to do exactly what the recall says. And he gets paid for other Ford ordered updates, like BlueCruise back in April. He does not get paid just to do updates that aren't part of recalls or SSMs.

You need to have the recall done. The OTA update for the recall will say it resolved the recall in the notes.

Recall update is imminent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Received the paper recall notice today. Reading through it, I am glad I took my GT into my dealer and had them do it already. It says you can "prefer to go to your dealer for the software update" which I did. Doesn't say how "we will correct this condition." The service manager is full of brown stuff that said "if you're not getting the error message in the dash....don't worry about the recall." Get the 22S41 update ASAP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just received a mail from Ford yesterday about the recall for the battery connectors causing loss of power and charging. It stated that the fix will happen over the air updates. I would like to know specifically how the software update is going to fix this issue. I would think it will take away charging efficiency and acceleration. I would rather have my car the way it was intended to be capable of performing, and have them fix the battery connectors with a manual fix.

I agree with your assessment...will Fast Charging take longer, will accelleration be degraded? The issue is with the 'Contactor', not 'Connector', probably a 'relay' which is turning the current to and from the battery off and on.
I texted the Customer Support in FordPass App to find out if I would see the update on my listed upgrades in the car upgrade list. It currently is saying 'Up to date'. I wanted to see if I could initiate the update from the car, and after 3 support folks, I got the 833-389-0848 number to call, the same number that is on the paper notice.
My car is connected to my Home WiFi for sure, and I think the FordPass Connect system. The car is parked where I can not get Sirius and don't know if FordPass Connect uses satellite or Cell service?
I have the Updates set to Auto.
Some replies said that a dashboard warning will display if the fix limits the current, and you should take the car to the dealer. Not sure if this makes sense? I would think the fix will engage based on preset current conditions, not the condition of the Contactor. Will the dealer advise you to not use Fast Charge or high acceleration?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the paper letter also and have an appt next week at the dealer for whatever the update will actually fix--agree it's unlikely software will fix hardware. My question is whether others have changed their driving habits because of the concerns with the connector? I have stopped freeway driving for example.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with your assessment...will Fast Charging take longer, will accelleration be degraded? The issue is with the 'Contactor', not 'Connector', probably a 'relay' which is turning the current to and from the battery off and on.
I texted the Customer Support in FordPass App to find out if I would see the update on my listed upgrades in the car upgrade list. It currently is saying 'Up to date'. I wanted to see if I could initiate the update from the car, and after 3 support folks, I got the 833-389-0848 number to call, the same number that is on the paper notice.
My car is connected to my Home WiFi for sure, and I think the FordPass Connect system. The car is parked where I can not get Sirius and don't know if FordPass Connect uses satellite or Cell service?
I have the Updates set to Auto.
Some replies said that a dashboard warning will display if the fix limits the current, and you should take the car to the dealer. Not sure if this makes sense? I would think the fix will engage based on preset current conditions, not the condition of the Contactor. Will the dealer advise you to not use Fast Charge or high acceleration?
You cannot initiate updates.
FordPass Connect is 4G.
Fast charging and acceleration are fine. Repeated WOT and fast charging are not, until the update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct.

Prior to the fix, the car would either shut down or refuse to start. And, often the 12V system would be dead, so you couldn't put it in tow mode. The fix prevents the failure, but signals to the owner and Ford that the HVBJB needs to be replaced, and leaves the car drivable (at least that is the intent).

For those that think that Ford should be replacing the HVBJB right now, instead of just software, where do you think they'd get 50,000 for the US, and how many years do you think it would take to install them?
Last Friday 7/15/2022 my 2022 MachE GT HP flashed 2 specific warnings of "High voltage battery warning" and "Powertrain malfunction/reduced power" on the app and on the dash. In what seems a few minutes later car shut down and I coasted to a stop. Also got a traditional check engine light go off earlier in the afternoon. First indication something was seriously wrong while driving the car said the front cameras were not functioning. 10 minutes later after I stopped every interior function stopped working while waiting for a tow truck. Even flashers went out while Police and I were talking. Fortunately was not on a busy road. Car doors were in locked condition. With my wallet inside. No power and unable to open doors manually???? The key fob has a flat key but a dummy manual key. Had car towed to Ford Dealer with a Dolly system this past Monday not to damage the motors or carriage. Was able to jump the Frunk myself on Saturday, then jump the 12V battery so I could get out my personal belongings before I brought it to dealer. Next day dealer said the 12V battery was dead and it had nothing to do with the recall. Got the recall letter on Friday. Murphy law was in full force. Dealership said they performed the SW update and replaced the 12V battery. Said my problem was not part of the recall. Dont believe it. Now I have no confidence to take the car on longer drives. Car has only 700 miles. Delivered in May, ordered in January. Am so lucky I was near home. Seriously thinking to sell it now.

In my view the 12V battery system is a huge issue as a single point of failure

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
118 Posts
Last Friday 7/15/2022 my 2022 MachE GT HP flashed 2 specific warnings of "High voltage battery warning" and "Powertrain malfunction/reduced power" on the app and on the dash. In what seems a few minutes later car shut down and I coasted to a stop. Also got a traditional check engine light go off earlier in the afternoon. First indication something was seriously wrong while driving the car said the front cameras were not functioning. 10 minutes later after I stopped every interior function stopped working while waiting for a tow truck. Even flashers went out while Police and I were talking. Fortunately was not on a busy road. Car doors were in locked condition. With my wallet inside. No power and unable to open doors manually???? The key fob has a flat key but a dummy manual key. Had car towed to Ford Dealer with a Dolly system this past Monday not to damage the motors or carriage. Was able to jump the Frunk myself on Saturday, then jump the 12V battery so I could get out my personal belongings before I brought it to dealer. Next day dealer said the 12V battery was dead and it had nothing to do with the recall. Got the recall letter on Friday. Murphy law was in full force. Dealership said they performed the SW update and replaced the 12V battery. Said my problem was not part of the recall. Dont believe it. Now I have no confidence to take the car on longer drives. Car has only 700 miles. Delivered in May, ordered in January. Am so lucky I was near home. Seriously thinking to sell it now.

Hmmm... I guess if while driving the 12V battery "took a bullet" and just immediately died it could cause all that to occur, maybe, and that same sudden failure of a 12V battery would likely cause the same in almost any EV sold today, but while driving the 12V is being charged from the big battery so should not happen while driving. But yep when they fail the 12V battery feels like the Achilles heel of today's EVs.

I certainly do understand your concern that it might not simply be the 12V battery and others with greater knowledge shall hopefully chime in here (if not, post your experience on the other MachE Forum dot com where there is an active incredibly smart bunch that regularly help).

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

Welcome to the forum @RAP, sorry to hear about your issues with your Mach-E. How much have you driven it since this happened? Have there been issues since?

·
Registered
144 Posts

If your issue was due to the recall, you wouldn't be able to drive the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts