Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hmmm... I guess if while driving the 12V battery "took a bullet" and just immediately died it could cause all that to occur, maybe, and that same sudden failure of a 12V battery would likely cause the same in almost any EV sold today, but while driving the 12V is being charged from the big battery so should not happen while driving. But yep when they fail the 12V battery feels like the Achilles heel of today's EVs.

I certainly do understand your concern that it might not simply be the 12V battery and others with greater knowledge shall hopefully chime in here (if not, post your experience on the other MachE Forum dot com where there is an active incredibly smart bunch that regularly help).
Why is a 100 plus year-old technology suddenly a "point of failure" we have to worry about in a new car??????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum @RAP, sorry to hear about your issues with your Mach-E. How much have you driven it since this happened? Have there been issues since?
Only the 15 miles from the dealership yesterday afternoon and no issues. I do have a detailed description of the issue and remedy in hardcopy from Dealer service record. When I check the Ford app though it has no information at all describing what the car was in for. Would think the same information would be entered there? What's the app for then if it just records a date under the "service" tab.

·
Registered
2021 Mach-E Select AWD | Iconic Silver
126 Posts
Why is a 100 plus year-old technology suddenly a "point of failure" we have to worry about in a new car??????
Very good point, certainly.

We can imagine...given EVs:
1. Install smaller 12V batteries since they do not need to turn over a big engine
2. But they have numerous bells and whistles that can depend upon and continually drain the 12V when running, heck the Mach-E opens the doors for you and projects a pony on the ground when you approach (insanely cool tho!).
3. All EVs (except Tesla) are first in a generation designs in their first model year (!) with tech glitches aplenty.
4. Many Mach-Es sat in "Chip Hold" for months last Fall turning their new batteries into premature aged ones before delivery to customers.
5. Currently in the US of course we have a late pandemic supply historic low, plus incredibly active surge in the US economy to a historic high demand, perfect storm for failures of a disposable part that should be easily replaced normally? (and a Mach-E design goof makes it difficult to replace the 12V battery at home, it was this close to easy to replace missed it by like an inch?).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I flew Boeings with that trim wheel for years. A runaway stabilizer is easy to deal with. The pilots who crashed did not respond correctly, likely due to training. That is not saying that the malfunction was acceptable, given the design issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last Friday 7/15/2022 my 2022 MachE GT HP flashed 2 specific warnings of "High voltage battery warning" and "Powertrain malfunction/reduced power" on the app and on the dash. In what seems a few minutes later car shut down and I coasted to a stop. Also got a traditional check engine light go off earlier in the afternoon. First indication something was seriously wrong while driving the car said the front cameras were not functioning. 10 minutes later after I stopped every interior function stopped working while waiting for a tow truck. Even flashers went out while Police and I were talking. Fortunately was not on a busy road. Car doors were in locked condition. With my wallet inside. No power and unable to open doors manually???? The key fob has a flat key but a dummy manual key. Had car towed to Ford Dealer with a Dolly system this past Monday not to damage the motors or carriage. Was able to jump the Frunk myself on Saturday, then jump the 12V battery so I could get out my personal belongings before I brought it to dealer. Next day dealer said the 12V battery was dead and it had nothing to do with the recall. Got the recall letter on Friday. Murphy law was in full force. Dealership said they performed the SW update and replaced the 12V battery. Said my problem was not part of the recall. Dont believe it. Now I have no confidence to take the car on longer drives. Car has only 700 miles. Delivered in May, ordered in January. Am so lucky I was near home. Seriously thinking to sell it now.

In my view the 12V battery system is a huge issue as a single point of failure
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! 16 days back from the dealership and same 2 indicators go off. Less than 5 miles from home with the car shutting down rolled into my driveway. have only driven the car 5 times with less than 200 miles. SW fix is not the answer. Brand new 12 volt battery dead again. I have less than zero confidence in the car. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Looks like lemon law and a full refund. I sold an S550 Coupe for this new experience.

mustang-mach-e-battery-drain

ford-mache-12v-battery-issue

1-year later after spending $77000 in cash for a dead car

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
147 Posts
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! 16 days back from the dealership and same 2 indicators go off. Less than 5 miles from home with the car shutting down rolled into my driveway. have only driven the car 5 times with less than 200 miles. SW fix is not the answer. Brand new 12 volt battery dead again. I have less than zero confidence in the car. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Looks like lemon law and a full refund. I sold an S550 Coupe for this new experience.
Depending on the codes, it may be the HVBJB and time for the replacement.

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
147 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts