Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

IMO Reckless arrogance - CNBC: Why Tesla's Full Self-Driving Feature Is Taking So Long.

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  PhilT 
#1 ·
I am a big believer in autonomous driving and do believe that we'll see it soon. That said, Tesla's approach is at best a con... at worst, manslaughter.

#3 ·
Great video! Thanks for posting.

With regard to the $8,000 "Auto Pilot" option, I think it was summed up best by the lady who said:

Buying this options "turns consumers into investors".

What a "con job" Musk has done: he is getting current consumers to pay for Tesla's continued development of "Auto Pilot" with the hopes that sometime in the future you will (or whoever then owns your Tesla, assuming it is still operating, has not run into something and has been totaled) get these new features which will make your old used Tesla somehow worth thousands of dollars more.

Again I just do not get it!

#17 ·
This post is just my opinion.

I give Elon and Tesla credit for waking up the auto industry by proving EVs can be competitive to ICE cars.

As far as self-driving, there are systems way more advanced than what Tesla has. The catch is, they are not available to the public. Tesla made the tech accessible, and made self-driving something desired in a vehicle, no small achievement. Personally, I love to drive. I think the quest for L5 is a slow death for one of the few, pure passions to come out of technology: the exhilaration behind the wheel.

Elon is also a master at marketing, and taking advantage of his customers. I read behind his words and actions, and this is what I hear:
“Be my beta-testers, my street-mappers, my advertisers. To do so, you have to buy my cars, pay an additional $8,000 to me for the privilege, suffer through shoddy built vehicles and poor customer service. In return I will pay you nothing, and further mislead you into giving me even more of your money with false timelines and promises. And you will stand there and take it, and say ‘thank you sir, may I have another...’”

Okay, that was a bit dramatic. But i hope it illustrates my feelings on the subject.

#18 ·
“Be my beta-testers, my street-mappers, my advertisers. To do so, you have to buy my cars, pay an additional $8,000 to me for the privilege, suffer through shoddy built vehicles and poor customer service. In return I will pay you nothing, and further mislead you into giving me even more of your money with false timelines and promises. And you will stand there and take it, and say ‘thank you sir, may I have another...’”
You forgot one thing: "Bend over"

Could not agree more and that were the points of my two posts.

#23 ·
Autopilot is one of the 2 reasons I'm choosing MME. In order to benefit from adaptive cruise control and blind spot detection, the Telsa has to steer itself? I tried it on a Model S on a windy highway and I kept disengaging AP because my hand was holding the wheel too tight. Sure I could get used to it, but my wife? Never. I can't sell her buying a $60k car with no advanced safety features. Sorry Tesla.
I just don't understand why someone would buy a beautiful vehicle like a Tesla and not want to drive it. Telsa's web site quotes the cars are 'built around the driver'. But then, why the dahsless design? Musk says the dash is not needed because of FSD. So is the car built around the driver, or FSD?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.