Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the mach-e reservation form, colors upgrades cost $400-$600 additional, depending on how many "coats" are needed... except for the GT trim level. For the GT, there is no extra charge for any color option. If you picked "star white" you would save $600 with the GT trim over the premium trim. Why is that? Do you think it is just a bug in the reservation form? I know that prices are not final and that it is just an estimate, but it seems strange to me that the GT would price colors differently.

·
Registered
761 Posts
On the mach-e reservation form, colors upgrades cost $400-$600 additional, depending on how many "coats" are needed... except for the GT trim level. For the GT, there is no extra charge for any color option. If you picked "star white" you would save $600 with the GT trim over the premium trim. Why is that? Do you think it is just a bug in the reservation form? I know that prices are not final and that it is just an estimate, but it seems strange to me that the GT would price colors differently.
It doesn't really surprise me that Ford would do things differently for their top of the line model. You may save $600 with the GT but you're paying about $10,000 more than the Premium.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not if you opt for the extended range battery and AWD ($7,700); than it is much closer in price. I am not sure if there were color price premiums for first edition or if it was just built into the first edition cost premium (reservation option is no longer available to check).

You might be right that it is waived for being a top trim, but that would prove that color premiums are artificial price inflations that don’t reflect any actual additional manufacturing costs. Or, if more advanced paint jobs do actually cost more and is simply built into the GT price, that Ford is pocketing the savings if a GT member picks a “basic” color instead of a fancy one.

it is probably mostly artificial. From a marketing perspective, it is nice to be able to advertise a lower “starting” price, and than add cost premiums for various options (regardless if it actually increases production costs) to get a higher average sales price.

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
the premium paints do, in fact, add cost to the manufacturing. metallics have larger reflective particulate in the base coats. With the particulates, you have to lay down a bit more paint.

The most expensive, the star white tri-coat metallic, adds yet another layer of paint to the process. The reflective particulate is added to an additional clear layer between the base coat and the clear coats. This results in that pearlescent look. More paint, more time, more cost.

Many car companies include the premium paint cost in the top-level trims. A marketing trick to make it feel like you are getting more for your money. Fords cost for the $600 paint is probably 1/4 that. Guaranteed they worked that into the package price somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts