Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Is anyone having issues with the outside temp being incorrect?

2128 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Graction
My outside temp is reading 127 when it’s actually 103 and the card making weird noises as if it’s cooling down and the air makes even louder noises. When I turn it off I get messages to plug it in due to it being excessively hot-the message disappeared too quick. It’s always something with this car
Reactions: 1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About one month ago on the way home my outside temperature read 131. Now I live in Scottsdale, AZ but it has never been that hot. As we were driving home the temperature returned to normal. Only timne this has happened.
About one month ago on the way home my outside temperature read 131. Now I live in Scottsdale, AZ but it has never been that hot. As we were driving home the temperature returned to normal. Only timne this has happened.
I’ve been having this issue for a few days now but unsure if I should go to the dealership due to the fact that I was just there with brakes issues and getting 2 new updates causing me to not have my car for almost 3 weeks.
I believe the thermometer is just inside the front vent area that permits air to blow in to cool the battery. That temperature will often be hotter than the temp outside, particularly when the car has been sitting in heat. After driving it for awhile the temperature reading should soon get closer to being the same as that listed on your weather app for the day's current temp. I do not think taking it to the dealership is a good use of your time on this one.
I think that the temperature display inside doesn't update very frequently and also as Doug said it takes a bit of driving before it settles down to the actual ambient temp when it's been sitting in the heat. That being said, it is definitely wrong more often than I've seen in any of my previous cars...
My outside temp is reading 127 when it’s actually 103 and the card making weird noises as if it’s cooling down and the air makes even louder noises. When I turn it off I get messages to plug it in due to it being excessively hot-the message disappeared too quick. It’s always something with this car
Interesting, mine was also strangely reading 123-126 for quite a while last Thursday. I had been driving for about an hour and a half. Was in the Banning area headed to Palm Springs, doing about 75mph. The iPhone said it was 102 outside. I have seen it not being accurate like this a number of other times.
The on-screen temperature is always higher than the external temp. I think its the placement and calibration on the cabin temp sensor. Its 10+°F higher on sunny days, but more accurate on cloudy days.
I just use voice controls to show me the weather.

When it is below 32°F, and above a certain temp (Sorry, I don’t know that threshold), the car asks you to plug in when possible so it can use house power to regulate battery temp, run the electronics for thins like OTA updates, and precondition the cabin.
The outside thermometer on-screen is always 10 degrees or more higher than the actual outside temp, even when I have parked in shade or inside my garage. Totally worthless.
Interesting, mine was also strangely reading 123-126 for quite a while last Thursday. I had been driving for about an hour and a half. Was in the Banning area headed to Palm Springs, doing about 75mph. The iPhone said it was 102 outside. I have seen it not being accurate like this a number of other times.
Remember the temperature of the pavement will always be 10 to 15 degrees higher than the actual ambient temperature. So your thermometer will read 120/125 if the outside temperature is 105/110.

I remember stories of the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis with an ambient temperature of 95 the playing field was above 125.

Even here on Long Island, when the temps are in the low 90's the temps on the Long Island Expressway are above 100. So in the Southwest with your blazing sun, I am sure the surface temps of the roads are substantially higher than the ambient temperature and your thermostat is correctly recording the temps on the highway.
If the car is sitting on blacktop driveway or parking lot the temp probably is what it says.
Move the car down the road and see if it drops.
Many years ago, I played in a tennis tournament in Ponca City, OK. The air temp was in the high 90's, but the court temp at knee high was 120 degrees. My converse tennis shoes kept melting and sticking to the court. . . according to the news story I won a 4-hour match and then played another an hour later. My opponent went to the hospital with heat exhaustion. I was a lot younger and in shape (and playing division 1 college tennis.) What did I learn? The temperature is never what the air temp is. It is the temp at what level you are measuring and depends on what you are doing. Today I cancel all my junior lessons when the projected air temperature is ninety-five or more. Ford needs to decide what they want to represent with their temp indications. Note, I have seen the message to plug it in to cool it down the last few days when the temp went above 100.
I was always very surprised that my nothing special 2010 Nissan Altima Hybrid's temperature reading was always very accurate even when it had been parked in the sun. My Highlander is also quite accurate so whatever techniques those companies are using Ford didn't implement.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.