Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
101 - 113 of 113 Posts
Agreed. At the rate of filling up a gas tank, you don’t see anyone looking to spend $5k to get a 20 gal tank over a 15.

However, the other benefit of the larger pack is that you can get more power in and out of the cells with less strain on them.

According to the video data: The trip used 86% of the battery to get 484km. At that rate, it would be 563km for 100%. Or about 350 miles for a full charge.

That’s 80 miles over the 270 mile EPA target.

Things we don’t know about this test: speed, elevation changes, temperature, AC on/off, etc. The weather does look clear, though.

All in all, it looks promising.
I read somewhere that the speed might have been in the 55 mph range. Be nice to know the trip time...

My opinion as I am getting an FE is that you ALWAYS get the biggest battery that you can. There will be that one time when you wish you had it. Show me a person who owns a 450HP mustang and if they could afford the price of say a 650 HP Mustang they would say no I am fine.

the real world is that bigger batteries are line getting more HP in an ICE vehicle. Why are people lining up to get the GT with only a rated 210 miles? I guarantee if they could get say 300 the cost would be irrelevant. I and many others would line up for it. Why?? Because we all want to be the baddest assholes on the road. We want to own it.

I will go as far to say Rousch and Shelby versions will be available likely in 2 years with massive HP and extra large batteries. They will likely be in the $70-80 grand range and they will sell out. Why?? Because bigger and Nader is what most people want and those powerful exotics will in fact sell. The 1400 MME just showed what is possible. However you need the battery range to sell it. Anything under 300 miles in a couple of years will be worthless.

Discussion starter · #104 ·
On the second point, I am not sure, because a better charging infrastructure could change the calculus, and I also think that will occur fairly quickly. In that scenario, I think that DCFC charging rates will be a bigger deal than range.
I think it's more the reverse. EA just lowered their rates dramatically, to where they're about even with gas (for the MME). The DCFC charging rates are less of an issue now. However the other big negative with DCFC charging (how slow it is) still remains. On a long road trip, 4 or 5 30-40 minute stops can be a real drag. Thus avoiding that many slow stops becomes the bigger deal (i.e. longer range). Especially high speed highway range, which is effectively only about 2/3rds of the EPA range.

When does this advice no longer apply? (At what cost increase, at what range percentage increase?)

What's the minimum acceptable range?
It's a personal call. If all you do is drive around town & taken into account the local climate, then you have to ask yourself is it worth the extra cost. I would argue probably not. My current Lexus ISC250 has a gas range of approx 450 miles per tank of gas. It's premium so at 140,000 miles on the OD thats 4667 gallons of gas at an average cost of $3.25/gal I have spent in excess of $15,000 in gas. I have driven across country more than once in excess of 1500 miles trips. Now retired in my 50's I plan on doing more road trips. So an extra $5000 for a battery in the southwest area of the country where temps exceed 100 degree, the extended battery would most likely make sense for me. Musk has said the average battery should be 300 miles range. Lucid just put a car on the market with a 500 mile range & Musk has battery day next week so lets see if he has something up his sleeve. For me, a comfort factor of 450-500 mile range would make me feel more confident about not running out of power. Lets not forget that there are numerous companies coming out with new batteries including solid state batteries which will drive the cost down on batteries.

My opinion as I am getting an FE is that you ALWAYS get the biggest battery that you can. There will be that one time when you wish you had it. Show me a person who owns a 450HP mustang and if they could afford the price of say a 650 HP Mustang they would say no I am fine.

the real world is that bigger batteries are line getting more HP in an ICE vehicle. Why are people lining up to get the GT with only a rated 210 miles? I guarantee if they could get say 300 the cost would be irrelevant. I and many others would line up for it. Why?? Because we all want to be the baddest assholes on the road. We want to own it.

I will go as far to say Rousch and Shelby versions will be available likely in 2 years with massive HP and extra large batteries. They will likely be in the $70-80 grand range and they will sell out. Why?? Because bigger and Nader is what most people want and those powerful exotics will in fact sell. The 1400 MME just showed what is possible. However you need the battery range to sell it. Anything under 300 miles in a couple of years will be worthless.
The new EPA numbers are a good example of that. I know it has stirred up a lot of discussion around range.
Where we will really benefit is with real world range where it can fluctuate a lot depending on where you live.

I think it's more the reverse. EA just lowered their rates dramatically, to where they're about even with gas (for the MME). The DCFC charging rates are less of an issue now. However the other big negative with DCFC charging (how slow it is) still remains. On a long road trip, 4 or 5 30-40 minute stops can be a real drag. Thus avoiding that many slow stops becomes the bigger deal (i.e. longer range). Especially high speed highway range, which is effectively only about 2/3rds of the EPA range.
I just reread this, and I think that we agree but I was unclear in my post. When I said "rates", I meant charge time, not cost.

I said it poorly, my bad.

So we are on the same page.

Hi, is there anybody already having some experiences with his mustang? Weather it is the ER or the standard battery version. For me is the same question to take the ER battery and if it is worth paying 5.000 Euro for that. Or rather take the AWD Version although the range is even worse. How is your experience?
Thanks!, Olaf

This is something I'm struggling with now, because it's a second car, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the lower range version. The $5k price variance is pretty substantial

Lets sum it up: with a SR battery you'll get a 450 km WLTP Range. Realistically it will reduce about 20% due to faster driving mode (At least in germany without speedlimit :LOL:)
So we are talking about 350 km Range. Reducing another 20% in Winter time leads to about 280 km / 180 Miles Range.
If you only drive in the city a SR battery will be fine. But for General use (even as family car) I would recommend a larger battery

I've been play be interested in electric cars for a few years now, as a second vehicle not as my primary. But my wife had no interest at all until I told you that the Mustang got 300 miles of range. We bought one two weeks ago. If it was $5,000 to get an even bigger battery 1that would do 400 miles we probably would have sprung for that. Making one stop on our way to visit our daughter in Atlanta at lunch time to recharge it's not that inconvenient. Having to stop two or three times makes us take the pickup truck instead of the electric vehicle regardless of the cost savings of electricity over gasoline.
Range was one of, if not the, deciding factors for us. It would have been nice to have all wheel drive but not nearly as important as having the extra range.

Yeah, I wanted to take my Mach-E on road trips so the Extended Range battery was necessary. Plus I was reading Tesla forums constantly and the biggest complaint everyone had was not getting the biggest battery. The $5k is recouped quickly with how cheap it costs to charge. In my situation at least.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.