Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are now getting closer to the delivers of the first MME. So decisions whether to covert our orders into purchases must be made.

After the recent price reductions by Ford, the difference in the MSRP between the Premium LR AWD and the First Edition swelled to $3,600.

This will be our third car. We are two, so we can wait for the MME.

For those of us that can wait, and do not need the Federal Credit in year 2020, does it make sense to get the First Edition or wait and save $3,600 by getting the Premium LR AWD?

The Premium gives you more exterior color options, sans Grabber Blue, and two interior colors, black and white. Also being later delivery, some of the "kinks" of first production may be worked out.

The First Edition gives you red brake calipers, First Edition door sills, black interior with either red or blue pipping, brushed pedals, a different dash and few other cosmetic changes.

The question is, “in your mind is that worth $3,600?”

Thoughts:

·
Registered
Star White Premium AWD ER
34 Posts
I would have ordered a FE if i could have selected the star white color but for some reason it was impossible

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. Now if the First Edition had a heat pump, or fog lights.....
Thanks.

Originally I thought the FE would truly be a small number and have exclusivity and the difference then was about $1600. The different special seats, although in black, the red brake calipers, the door sills, etc. were maybe worth $800 so paying $1600 wasn't so bad.

But when they opened up additional FE for sale a month ago and reduced the price of the Premium AWD LR, I am not so sure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I canceled my 1st edition because after thinking about it for so long I couldn't justify the extra cost for a few things that are not really that special. I have the same red color in a premium EXT RWD and will save the money for other things.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The other major difference is that the FE give a beafy global look because there is less of gloss black and more color. Just ignore the red caliper on the second picture.

FE

Not FE

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other major difference is that the FE give a beafy global look because there is less of gloss black and more color. Just ignore the red caliper on the second picture.

FE
View attachment 2769

Not FE
View attachment 2770
Non FE: black mirrors and molding over the wheel wells: is there anything else visually on the exterior?

To me that is personal preference: some might like the black trim others might not. Hard to justify paying extra for that!

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts
To me, the First Edition is worth it for the Grabber Blue alone.

In general, I'd prefer just the RWD. I'm not a huge fan of AWD - don't hate it, just don't "get" the appeal. The RWD's longer range is also helpful on road trips.

If the Grabber Blue was available on the Premium RWD, that might change my equation.

But as it stands, I can't wait to see by Grabber Blue First Edition in my driveway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In general, I'd prefer just the RWD. I'm not a huge fan of AWD - don't hate it, just don't "get" the appeal.
well its not juste AWD, it’s eAWD, you have another motor to the front so you dont split your power, you add more! and if I remember correctly, the car will handle like if it was RWD from episode 4 from MME Live Immertion

·
Registered
89 Posts
well its not juste AWD, it’s eAWD, you have another motor to the front so you dont split your power, you add more! and if I remember correctly, the car will handle like if it was RWD from episode 4 from MME Live Immertion
Oh for sure. Yeah I love the potential for what AWD brings to BEVs, and the additive power is going to be fun I'm sure. I just personally don't think I value it as much as they charge for it, compared with RWD.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To me, the First Edition is worth it for the Grabber Blue alone.

In general, I'd prefer just the RWD. I'm not a huge fan of AWD - don't hate it, just don't "get" the appeal. The RWD's longer range is also helpful on road trips.

If the Grabber Blue was available on the Premium RWD, that might change my equation.

But as it stands, I can't wait to see by Grabber Blue First Edition in my driveway.
Having spent three extremely snowy winters in Syracuse with a RWD 1966 Mustang, and hundreds of trips to Vermont skiing in the past 60 years, I can tell you that FWD is better than RWD and AWD is better than FWD and AWD with snow tires is best!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
We are now getting closer to the delivers of the first MME. So decisions whether to covert our orders into purchases must be made.

After the recent price reductions by Ford, the difference in the MSRP between the Premium LR AWD and the First Edition swelled to $3,600.

This will be our third car. We are two, so we can wait for the MME.

For those of us that can wait, and do not need the Federal Credit in year 2020, does it make sense to get the First Edition or wait and save $3,600 by getting the Premium LR AWD?

The Premium gives you more exterior color options, sans Grabber Blue, and two interior colors, black and white. Also being later delivery, some of the "kinks" of first production may be worked out.

The First Edition gives you red brake calipers, First Edition door sills, black interior with either red or blue pipping, brushed pedals, a different dash and few other cosmetic changes.

The question is, “in your mind is that worth $3,600?”

Thoughts:
At this point, unless Grabber Blue is "gotta have it" (and I can truly understand loving a color that much),the real reason for the FE is the "first" part. I have been waiting a year, and I don't want to wait five minutes more.

It isn't about being ahead of anyone, but rather I just want to drive this car. Now.

I don't think that makes a lot of sense to most people, but, well, there it is...

·
Registered
89 Posts
At this point, unless Grabber Blue is "gotta have it" (and I can truly understand loving a color that much),the real reason for the FE is the "first" part. I have been waiting a year, and I don't want to wait five minutes more.

It isn't about being ahead of anyone, but rather I just want to drive this car. Now.

I don't think that makes a lot of sense to most people, but, well, there it is...
Makes sense to me. For me it is Grabber Blue as the "gotta have it" otherwise I'd have been in a Premium RWD if Grabber was available (or Cyber Orange).

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
The price premium is about the same as other manufacturers offering first editions.
The ID.4, which is said to have instigated the MMe price drop, has a $4,000 premium for its first edition. And they are all cosmetic elements as well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Follow up:

• We now have production dates for the Premium November 30, 2020: and
  • For the First Edition December 21
That means that people who have ordered the Premium may well get their cars before Christmas and those who have ordered the First Edition, because of the Christmas/New Year's Holiday, in February 4 to 6 weeks later.

So the "First Edition" will not be first!

Why are we paying $3,600 more?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally agree. “First Edition” normally refers to the FIRST of something produced or created. Apparently, in the case of the Mach E, FE is just a trim level that comes with specific items. As a result, if my “FE” comes in 2021, I will change to a Premium as saving $3,600 will help offset the tax credit I won’t get this year.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I totally agree. “First Edition” normally refers to the FIRST of something produced or created. Apparently, in the case of the Mach E, FE is just a trim level that comes with specific items. As a result, if my “FE” comes in 2021, I will change to a Premium as saving $3,600 will help offset the tax credit I won’t get this year.
I am confident that both the Federal Tax Credit, $7,500 and the NY State tax credit, $2,500 will be in play in 2021.

My build date is December 7 so I assume delivery will not be until 2021.

The "First Edition" is as you posted nothing more than cosmetic trim. Hardly seems worth $3,600.

So whether I get a "First Edition" in February or a Premium in the Fall of 2021 makes no difference to me except by waiting I will save $3,600 and possibly some of the kinks in the early production will be worked out by the Fall.

Just my $.02 and thoughts and glad I am not alone in my thinking of the "First Edition" and waiting for a Premium later on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts