Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
572 Posts
I'm driving a 2018 Audi Q5 Premium now. Great SUV. But I'll never buy an Audi, BMW or Mercedes for the following reasons. You get killed for every little service. Audi charges $400 to replace and air filter, lube the pano roof, and replace brake fluid. This is a required service at approx. 24 months. One of the things I like most about the Q5 is the digital dashboard and integrated map tools. But after 6 months, you have to pay $600 a year to keep all the neat functionality. BMW charges a yearly subscription fee for Android or Apple functionality, which 99% of manufacturers offer for free. So yeah, the MachE may be premium priced but not premium. But trust me, you don't want the money sink that comes with maintaining a luxury brand auto.

I 'really' hope Ford doesn't get any ideas with it's over the air service. I'll pay minimal sub fees but we'll see what their plans are.
I have been driving BMW's and Mercedes for over 30 years and imo, the only way to drive a German car is to lease one - which is what I am doing with my E450 and within the warranty period - no more than 4 years or 50,000 miles.

German cars out of warranty can cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

As to service the only things that must be done to maintain the warranty are oil and filter changes and brake fluid changes. The rest are inspection items that are money makers for the dealer, which you can do yourself.

BTW, after much uproar, I believe BMW dropped the charges for both Apple and Adroid functionality.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been driving BMW's and Mercedes for over 30 years and imo, the only way to drive a German car is to lease one - which is what I am doing with my E450 and within the warranty period - no more than 4 years or 50,000 miles.

German cars out of warranty can cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

As to service the only things that must be done to maintain the warranty are oil and filter changes and brake fluid changes. The rest are inspection items that are money makers for the dealer, which you can do yourself.

BTW, after much uproar, I believe BMW dropped the charges for both Apple and Adroid functionality.

Oh, I leased. Lease is up in Jan. Hoping to have my FE by then.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
One of the things I like most about the Q5 is the digital dashboard and integrated map tools. But after 6 months, you have to pay $600 a year to keep all the neat functionality. BMW charges a yearly subscription fee for Android or Apple functionality, which 99% of manufacturers offer for free. So yeah, the MachE may be premium priced but not premium. But trust me, you don't want the money sink that comes with maintaining a luxury brand auto.

I 'really' hope Ford doesn't get any ideas with it's over the air service. I'll pay minimal sub fees but we'll see what their plans are.
Based on the last Order Guide attained (September 1, 2020) Looks like there may be three separate charges that may kick in with the Mach-E. I don’t know how much they will be.
  • After two years of access to the Ford Charging network, there may be a fee.
  • After three years trial-period of the interactive map, range, and route features, there may be a fee (requires FordPass connect)
  • 3 years complementary FordPass Connect TM (optional with select vehicles) there may be a fee.
    • 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot connects up to 10 devices 4
    • Remotely start, lock and unlock vehicle 5
    • Schedule specific times to remotely start vehicle 5
    • Locate parked vehicle 5
    • Check vehicle status 5
4 Wi-Fi hotspot includes wireless data trial that begins upon AT&T activation and expires at the end of 3 months or when 3GB of data is used, whichever comes first, but cannot extend beyond the trial subscription period for remote features. To activate, go to www.att.com/ford
5 FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), the Ford Pass App., and Complimentary Connected Services are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected Service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected services excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
893 Posts
Based on the last Order Guide attained (September 1, 2020) Looks like there may be three separate charges that may kick in with the Mach-E. I don’t know how much they will be.
  • After three years trial-period of the interactive map, range, and route features, there may be a fee (requires FordPass connect)
  • 3 years completely FordPass Connect TM (optional with Select trims) there may be a fee.
    • Check vehicle status 5
4 Wi-Fi hotspot includes wireless data trial that begins upon AT&T activation and expires at the end of 3 months or when 3GB of data is used, whichever comes first, but cannot extend beyond the trial subscription period for remote features. To activate, go to www.att.com/ford
5 FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), the Ford Pass App., and Complimentary Connected Services are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected Service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected services excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.
You forgot one. Q3 2021 the Active Drive Assist becomes available as an OTA update -- for a fee.

·
Registered
214 Posts
  • 3 years completely FordPass Connect TM (optional with Select trims) there may be a fee.
    • Check vehicle status 5
Except for everything with a 5 footnote. Those do not require a fee.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Your article is from 2019, the information I copied is from the order guide published 10 days ago.

please see the fine print for FordPass Charge Network, Navigation, and FordPass Connect.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your article is from 2019, the information I copied is from the order guide published 10 days ago.

please see the fine print for FordPass Charge Network, Navigation, and FordPass Connect.

It's not an article, its a Ford Press release stating they are offering these things for free for the life of the car.
  • Remotely start, lock and unlock vehicle
  • Schedule specific times to remotely start vehicle
  • Locate parked vehicle
  • Check vehicle status
In the order guide it specifically says: FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), the Ford Pass App., and Complimentary Connected Services are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected Service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected services excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.

Complimentary.

You are correct, Wi-Fi hotspot does require a fee. Access to Charge network may require a fee.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
It's not an article, its a Ford Press release stating they are offering these things for free for the life of the car.
  • Locate parked vehicle
  • Check vehicle status
In the order guide it specifically says: FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), the Ford Pass App., and Complimentary Connected Services are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected Service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected services excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.

Complimentary.

You are correct, Wi-Fi hotspot does require a fee. Access to Charge network may require a fee.
I saw my typo and edited my post.

Again, According to Fords document dated 9/1/2020, (the press release is from last year) Navigation features (Built-In Navigation, EV Trip Planner, Live Traffic, Predictive Destinations and Route Guidance) are only complimentary for 3 years.

2 years complimentary for the charging network.

There is a disclaimer that FordPass Connect is optional for select vehicles. At first I thought it meant the select trim, but it just may mean certain vehicles. That part is a bit ambiguous.

you may have missed this disclaimer: “Navigation service requires SYNC®4 and FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), complimentary connect service and the FordPass app (see FordPass Terms for details). Customer receives a complimentary 3- year trial of navigation services when an eligible vehicle is added to member’s FordPass account. Trial period begins with new vehicle warranty start date. At the end of the complimentary period, access to connected navigation services will be discontinued.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
92 Posts

Again, According to Fords document dated 9/1/2020, (the press release is from last year) Navigation features (Built-In Navigation, EV Trip Planner, Live Traffic, Predictive Destinations and Route Guidance) are only complimentary for 3 years.

There is a disclaimer that FordPass Connect is optional for select vehicles. At first I thought it meant the select trim, but it just may mean certain vehicles. That part is a bit ambiguous.

you may have missed this disclaimer: “Navigation service requires SYNC®4 and FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), complimentary connect service and the FordPass app (see FordPass Terms for details). Customer receives a complimentary 3- year trial of navigation services when an eligible vehicle is added to member’s FordPass account. Trial period begins with new vehicle warranty start date. At the end of the complimentary period, access to connected navigation services will be discontinued.
Once again, I'll be duct-taping a smartphone with Google Maps on top of the navigation screen. Why do car companies think they can charge for a service we already get for free?

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Once again, I'll be duct-taping a smartphone with Google Maps on top of the navigation screen. Why do car companies think they can charge for a service we already get for free?
Good thing Wireless Apple and Google are supported as alternatives, saves you the duct tape.

My thoughts on subscriptions fees:

Automakers are looking for alternative continuous revenue streams since EVs need less maintenance, last longer, and stay more relevant via OTA. (ICE vehicles also last longer than they used to)

Ford sells 5 million cars a year. Even with a small monthly fee of $5/month, that would be $300 million potential revenue just from those new owners for these connected services.

At 5 million new cars a year with average ownership cycle of 5 years thats $1.5 billion a year from connected services. This does not include the used car market vehicle subscriptions.

Unlike a vehicle sale where they may get a one-time 10% net-income, subscriptions are a continuous high profit-margin source.

There is also the micro-transaction market potential via OTA for various app/theme purchases,etc. Its a page right out of Apple’s playbook.

It’s up to the manufacturer to keep the system updated, content relevant, and make desirable features to earn your money.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Since it has android auto, you could probably just use that witht he phone sitting on the wireless charging pad. Or not, if you like duct tape; I for one always found it to be a much more reliable babysitter than the neighborhood teenagers

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
572 Posts
Good thing Wireless Apple and Google are supported as alternatives, saves you the duct tape.

My thoughts on subscriptions fees:

Automakers are looking for alternative continuous revenue streams since EVs need less maintenance, last longer, and stay more relevant via OTA. (ICE vehicles also last longer than they used to)

Ford sells 5 million cars a year. Even with a small monthly fee of $5/month, that would be $300 million potential revenue just from those new owners for these connected services.

At 5 million new cars a year with average ownership cycle of 5 years thats $1.5 billion a year from connected services. This does not include the used car market vehicle subscriptions.

Unlike a vehicle sale where they may get a one-time 10% net-income, subscriptions are a continuous high profit-margin source.

There is also the micro-transaction market potential via OTA for various app/theme purchases,etc. Its a page right out of Apple’s playbook.

It’s up to the manufacturer to keep the system updated, content relevant, and make desirable features to earn your money.
I am also active on the EClass Mercedes forum:

For what is worth, most on those forums, when apps that are free revert to a charge, drop the service. Clearly if you can afford a Mercedes you can afford the service.

Instinctively, when you have something for free, you rebel having to pay for it at a later time. You are also angry to pay for something you had that was previously free.

Although I have prepaid over the air updates on my navigation in my Mercedes, I still use WAZE. It is just better.

Ford realizes that almost all the buyers of the MachE will have smart phones: So I agree: why bother with built in navigation at an extra cost when you can just use your phone. (apologies to those who still use a flip phone!)

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
I am also active on the EClass Mercedes forum:

For what is worth, most on those forums, when apps that are free revert to a charge, drop the service. Clearly if you can afford a Mercedes you can afford the service.

Instinctively, when you have something for free, you rebel having to pay for it at a later time. You are also angry to pay for something you had that was previously free.

Although I have prepaid over the air updates on my navigation in my Mercedes, I still use WAZE. It is just better.

Ford realizes that almost all the buyers of the MachE will have smart phones: So I agree: why bother with built in navigation at an extra cost when you can just use your phone. (apologies to those who still use a flip phone!)
It took until the iPhone 6 plus before I got my wife to switch from a flip phone. And that was only because she started needing glasses.🤓

As for Navigation: The value proposition would have to be extremely compelling to justify the expense.

I personally find the current Sync3 navigation clean and uncluttered, its routing and traffic avoidance is excellent. Its updating the maps I find cumbersome and annoying (i have one more year free). Beyond the free period, any benefit over Apple/google maps or waze? Not really.

With the MMe, we have to see how good all the navigation value-adds are, and how well they integrate with the vehicle. I’m hoping we are all surprised.

If not, at least we have the choice to use alternatives.

·
Registered
214 Posts

I never said Navigation features are free forever.

These features are though:
  • Locate parked vehicle
  • Check vehicle status

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
I never said Navigation features are free forever.

These features are though:
  • Locate parked vehicle
  • Check vehicle status
Understood. I’m just pointing out the discrepancy in the documentation. I also said there may be a fee, not there will be a fee.

This may be a good question to clarify during these upcoming sessions. I hate surprises like an unexpected monthly fee.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Understood. I’m just pointing out the discrepancy in the documentation. I also said there may be a fee, not there will be a fee.

This may be a good question to clarify during these upcoming sessions. I hate surprises like an unexpected monthly fee.
I agree.

I know you said there may be a fee. I'm trying to clarify for the rest of those on the forum that there won't be a fee for those specific features I outlined.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts