Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked out a red and infinite blue at a local dealer in Southern CA. I had an appt but they were also have a Mustang car show so there were more people than usual and the man showing me the infinite blue was rushing through the tour which was a disappointment after waiting so long to see it. Good thing I have 2 more visits set up over the next week at other dealers in SO Cal.

Something important to me although not as needed now we have Android auto/carplay and Pandora etc. is the ability to use my IPOD via the USB port to view and listen to music. My previous 2008 Ford Exp had an early version of Sync voice command and would play a song just by asking for the title which was really cool. I brought my Ipod with me to plug it in to check the capabilities but initially it said the USB is not recognized. I could tell it did finally recognize it because the screen on my IPOD changed indicating it was connected but we could not find the USB listed anywhere on the screen to play anything. I checked the manual and all the radio settings but nothing said USB. Has anyone tried it or where would it be? Shouldn't it appear as a device in Source? The sales rep was not helpful or knowledgeable but suggested because it was a pre-production car it was not working but this is something important to my enjoyment of the car. My current Mazda Cx5 didn't work when I was testing it at the dealership but the salesman said it was because I had so many songs the first time would take a long time to load but the reality was the infotainment sucked and it never really worked and was so annoying I ended up putting in a pioneer head unit so I could play my music. I think USB and IPOD (its basically a hard drive) should work since its a technology that's been around for so long.

A couple other observations - why not have a button to open the Frunk on the keychain or phone. If I have groceries I am not going to get in the car and press the button and then get out to unload so it will not be used as much as it could be. Would the phone be able to open it? If its going to be annoying to access I would probably store charging cable and the inflator there to give more trunk space. The space is also smaller than I thought and I don't think I like the dividers. My son has a Model 3 and he showed me the cute key fob shaped like a Tesla and how he can press the front and the frunk pops open so its not like this isn't possible. Why can't Ford make the key fob look like the Mach E??

The center console is small and I don't know why they made the armrest floating. I like it higher up to rest my elbow on and with the seat raised up it is a little uncomfortable. The storage in the doors is very narrow and I don't think I'll be able to use it like I do now.

I would like to be able to move the center screen up and down or side to side to have better visibility. The seat was raised high because I like the feel of an SUV but it made the angle of the screen a little awkward. This would be a simple feature and allow for user customization.

The front seat was roomier than the model Y and the seat belt was easy to snap in. I did need to move the seat closer in order to comfortably use the main screen. The seats had a bit of a rubbery grip and seemed comfortable and I am curious to check out how fast they heat up. Too bad they didn't include cooling seats. My husband liked the passenger lumbar support, the leg rooms and how far back it reclined.

Hopefully on Tuesday evening (so I can see it at night) I will have a better chance to check other things out and hope I don't get the same sales rep. The one for the red car had a family that was checking it out well before I arrived and was still there after we were told others are waiting and to leave. I thought setting an appt would give me a full hour if I needed to thoroughly check it out but we were pressured to do a quick look and go. :-(

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good thing I have 2 more visits set up over the next week at other dealers in SO Cal.
Haha, nice!!

I think USB and IPOD (its basically a hard drive) should work since its a technology that's been around for so long.
In photos from earlier prototypes, I've seen USB mass storage devices (aka thumb drives) being used for music in Mach-E. Not sure I've ever seen an iPod plugged in, though. Maybe it isn't supported? (It's not the same as other thumb drives; Ford would have to implement Apple-specific drivers.) Was iPod listed in the help index?

A couple other observations - why not have a button to open the Frunk on the keychain or phone.
I haven't seen the production key fob yet. It might have that button. I think we've been told that it will, in fact, from back in November, but I can't remember for sure.

Why can't Ford make the key fob look like the Mach E??
I guess they are focusing on a quiet ride, dry interior, and other priorities. :p Seriously though, if there's enough interest in one, perhaps a third party can offer it as an accessory?

The Model 3 and Model Y don't come with any key fob, by the way. Just a key card (looks like a credit card or ID badge). The key fob is an $150 accessory.

The center console is small and I don't know why they made the armrest floating. I like it higher up to rest my elbow on and with the seat raised up it is a little uncomfortable.
The space between armrest and storage console is intended for a bag or purse. I also would have preferred a larger storage console. I think the designers reached some compromise here from the fact that there is no transmission tunnel on this car, so they were able to move the console lower down to the floor and then they figured out that if they keep it short enough, it's ample space for a large bag.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
94 Posts
Something important to me although not as needed now we have Android auto/carplay and Pandora etc. is the ability to use my IPOD via the USB port to view and listen to music. My previous 2008 Ford Exp had an early version of Sync voice command and would play a song just by asking for the title which was really cool. I brought my Ipod with me to plug it in to check the capabilities but initially it said the USB is not recognized. I could tell it did finally recognize it because the screen on my IPOD changed indicating it was connected but we could not find the USB listed anywhere on the screen to play anything. I checked the manual and all the radio settings but nothing said USB. Has anyone tried it or where would it be? Shouldn't it appear as a device in Source? The sales rep was not helpful or knowledgeable but suggested because it was a pre-production car it was not working but this is something important to my enjoyment of the car. My current Mazda Cx5 didn't work when I was testing it at the dealership but the salesman said it was because I had so many songs the first time would take a long time to load but the reality was the infotainment sucked and it never really worked and was so annoying I ended up putting in a pioneer head unit so I could play my music. I think USB and IPOD (its basically a hard drive) should work since its a technology that's been around for so long.
How old of an iPod are we talking? I didn't know they still made them, honestly. It's possible some USB devices, or USB media as a whole is just treated as deprecated for SYNC development in the streaming age.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old of an iPod are we talking? I didn't know they still made them, honestly. It's possible some USB devices, or USB media as a whole is just treated as deprecated for SYNC development in the streaming age.
I have an original iPod video from 2005 that still works but this is the 160 GB 7th generation iPod classic with the old 30 pin type of cable so probably from 2014. It's basically a portable media player with a hard drive but it works great and holds lots of music and I keep it in my glove box hooked up to the USB port on the back of my pioneer head unit.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You're lucky it's still working. The battery on my iPad Classic died sometime circa 2013.

I sliced my finger open while attempting to slice the case open to replace the battery pack. I stopped using and retired said iPad Classic to the electronics graveyard at that point.

Anyway, consider getting a small and very inexpensive USB thumb drive to store all of the same music you enjoy from the iPad. There are four usb ports on Mach-E. Two are the older "type A" and two of the newer "type C." My recommendation would be to use the older and more ubiquitous type A drive so that the newer C ports are available for stuff like phone charging.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
I have an original iPod video from 2005 that still works but this is the 160 GB 7th generation iPod classic with the old 30 pin type of cable so probably from 2014. It's basically a portable media player with a hard drive but it works great and holds lots of music and I keep it in my glove box hooked up to the USB port on the back of my pioneer head unit.
Outside of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, The documentation says the B&O supports MP3, it doesn’t mention any other file format.

I am also wondering if it supports FLAC, being a high-fidelity system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're lucky it's still working. The battery on my iPad Classic died sometime circa 2013.

I sliced my finger open while attempting to slice the case open to replace the battery pack. I stopped using and retired said iPad Classic to the electronics graveyard at that point.

Anyway, consider getting a small and very inexpensive USB thumb drive to store all of the same music you enjoy from the iPad. There are four usb ports on Mach-E. Two are the older "type A" and two of the newer "type C." My recommendation would be to use the older and more ubiquitous type A drive so that the newer C ports are available for stuff like phone charging.
I only saw one standard USB and a USB C and the guy said there was another USB in the back but I didn't see it. Where is the 4th one? I love my Ipod and at the time it was cutting edge and expensive and its been so reliable. Things are MUCH cheaper and BIGGER now so I might need to stop trying to make it work and get something better.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There's the A and C up front near the phone pad, and then another pair of them above the floor vent for the rear passengers.

Also two 12V outlets, one inside the center storage bin and another in the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's the A and C up front near the phone pad, and then another pair of them above the floor vent for the rear passengers.

Also two 12V outlets, one inside the center storage bin and another in the rear cargo area.
I did see the 12V in the center bin and one in back but I am surprised they didn't put a USB in the center storage.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did see the 12V in the center bin and one in back but I am surprised they didn't put a USB in the center storage.
I see 3 charging methods in the center console. 1 USB A, 1 USB C, and a wireless charging pad. A 4th one inside the storage compartment would have been nice but maybe overkill.

I do not see a 12V socket/lighter adapter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A media usb port in the storage compartment would be nice so as not to have something sticking out of the port on the console all the time. Especially like a mini usb drive. I think hidden is better for that use.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
I see 3 charging methods in the center console. 1 USB A, 1 USB C, and a wireless charging pad. A 4th one inside the storage compartment would have been nice but maybe overkill.

I do not see a 12V socket/lighter adapter.
The 12v socket is under the armrest in the compartment with the sliding top.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 12v socket is under the armrest in the compartment with the sliding top.
So 4 charging options. I think the OP wanted to plug an iPod into a USB tucked away in the console and just leave it there. Is there an SD card reader? Could do essentially the same thing.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
150 Posts
One possible workaround is to use Doubletwist to copy your iPod songs on to your phone, then hopefully you could use the advertised bluetooth capabilities to play those songs on the Mach E

1 - 15 of 15 Posts