Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, there has been minimal advertising and the sticker price can approach $60,000+, depending on battery size, drive train, and trim level. But there is that $7,500 federal tax credit. And the deposit is a refundable $500. Can you imagine all those hard working Ford employees on this project wondering and maybe worrying about how it will end up? It seems to me that my deposit is a heads I win, tails I don’t lose.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think it's important to remember that Ford is a brand that has never done this before. Ford buyers expect to buy a car when it's available at the dealership. Waiting just isn't a part of the process. The fact that Ford has managed to generate enough interest and excitement to generate 30k+ pre-orders is pretty impressive I think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's a possibility they might not ever say it sold out for one reason alone: ADM. If a car is sold out dealers will be way more likely to mark-up prices, if they keep people in the dark on amount of orders that could dissuade dealers from doing so. Tesla never said Model 3 or Model Y sold out, they just assume people know they'll have to wait for their car, sometimes more than a year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps. We are waiting a full year or more. The clock is always ticking so what is the difference if someone waits a full year starting now. It should be the same car and perhaps still a 2021. We also don’t know the battery supply constraints in calendar 2022.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When I told my wife I wanted to get a first-year model she had one response (and I paraphrase for a family audience): "Are you crazy? Do you really want to buy the first model year that will have all kinds of problems?"

Methinks my wife is not alone in that reaction. Ford will eventually sell all the 2021's, but probably not until spring or summer of 2021

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I told my wife I wanted to get a first-year model she had one response (and I paraphrase for a family audience): "Are you crazy? Do you really want to buy the first model year that will have all kinds of problems?"

Methinks my wife is not alone in that reaction. Ford will eventually sell all the 2021's, but probably not until spring or summer of 2021
Yup, I hesitated for that .. but it's also the reason I'm leaning towards leasing it. Gives me an out in 3 year or so to get the refined model while still trying it out today.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When the 2013 Ford Cmax came out, I thought it was a very nice hybrid. I wanted to order one but was talked out of ordering a first year model. Thank goodness I did, the 2013 Cmax had big problems with dead batteries. Many people were very upset with Ford. I did order the 2014, which I still have and never had a problem or dead battery. It was determined that the Cmax needed to be reprogramed to prevent the problem of dead batteries.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When the 2013 Ford Cmax came out, I thought it was a very nice hybrid. I wanted to order one but was talked out of ordering a first year model. Thank goodness I did, the 2013 Cmax had big problems with dead batteries. Many people were very upset with Ford. I did order the 2014, which I still have and never had a problem or dead battery. It was determined that the Cmax needed to be reprogramed to prevent the problem of dead batteries.
I have one; I'm the original owner. Had a few fit and finish problems but that was it. I stayed on the original battery for several years. (BTW for those who may not know, the dead battery issue was the 12-volt accessory battery, not the high voltage battery.)

I never had the issue. But I did end up with the common APIM issue where the radio would stop making sound which would drain the battery after a couple of days. Happens once or twice a year. I just have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset the module and all is well.

It's all anecdotal evidence. Have no ideas what the problem rate is, but I like the car very much (except the turning radius, that sucks).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would not be too concerned about Ford’s ability to deliver the first year Mach-E in a solid reliable vehicle.
In a lot of ways it is a much simpler design than say a Super Duty F250 with a much more complex
engine / transmission, pulling huge loads, they have been delivering by the millions.

Also, EV technology is not top secrete like SR-71 spy plane tech where you could not even get close enough to take a picture.
I am sure Ford has torn down every Tesla model and the latest Europe models down to the last bolt, nut and wire and gained
a lot of info on the good features and what to avoid / improve.

Reactions: UW2 and Stang E

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think the main reason why some folks are still sceptical is due to poor launch of the explorer last year. I'm all in for the first gen MME btw. But ppl can't help feel worried when one of fomoco best vehicle has 4 recalls soon after launch and also 3 recalls on the Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
I think the main reason why some folks are still sceptical is due to poor launch of the explorer last year. I'm all in for the first gen MME btw. But ppl can't help feel worried when one of fomoco best vehicle has 4 recalls soon after launch and also 3 recalls on the Lincoln
I can understand the hesitation. A little information may help ease concern:

Ford did a $1 billion dollar plant upgrade on one of its oldest plants. The project hit renovation delays and then they rushed into production without a proper ramp-up. The recalls resulted from rushing the assembly, not product engineering (see NHTSA data on the recalls here). Ford has since resolved those issues.

Ford claims victory over 2020 Explorer launch issues

Ford has more than enough time to configure the Mexico plant, which is a much newer flexible manufacturing facility. The number of Mach E’s to be built is much lower than that of the Explorer. I’m optimistic that they aren’t about to make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure they will sell out if it meets all the required numbers and is advertised properly. It is an excellent vehicle and I bought stock at $8/share. Ford is going to have a home run with this one I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, there has been minimal advertising and the sticker price can approach $60,000+, depending on battery size, drive train, and trim level. But there is that $7,500 federal tax credit. And the deposit is a refundable $500. Can you imagine all those hard working Ford employees on this project wondering and maybe worrying about how it will end up? It seems to me that my deposit is a heads I win, tails I don’t lose.
Currently the only Mach-E being delivered have been pre-ordered. My salesperson said that dealers will be marking them up another $5,000 for future sales. To me, it reflects a demand exceeding supply. That being said, EVs will not be a high volume car for the masses until their net cost becomes less than $30,000.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,846 Posts
Currently the only Mach-E being delivered have been pre-ordered. My salesperson said that dealers will be marking them up another $5,000 for future sales. To me, it reflects a demand exceeding supply. That being said, EVs will not be a high volume car for the masses until their net cost becomes less than $30,000.
IMO that is complete BS:

Right now the MME, after the FTC is about the same price as the Model Y.

If you want to lease, as I do, the dealer quoted me $956 vs. $725 for the Model Y - both with no money down.

The lease on a Model Y is also less than the Ford Option plan.

I do agree that until the net cost becomes less than $30,000 there will be limited volume and for other than Tesla a robust charging infrastructure - something that presently does exist for the MME

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't doubt there are mark ups this early on. $5K? Maybe a couple instances where a 1%er type ($5K means nothing to them) just wanted it. I think we need to wait until real volume shipments begin. I highly doubt we'll have a C8 Corvette situation (good for us if we do... but it ain't happening). I think almost all MMEs will sell at MSRP. My reasoning is that if Ford has to discount it beyond the response to Tesla price cuts last year, the MME would become a compliance car in the US and they'll shift shipments to Canada, Europe... I don't see any price/incentive action unless Ford is able to reduce BMC and Production costs.

$500 was easy to put down for the reservation. A lot has changed since then and there are many scenarios where the reservations might not have converted to an order and order not to sale:
  • The deposit was put down on a whim and was never serious.
  • Speculators put a deposit down in the event it became C8 Vetter hot.
  • Unfortunately, finances have taken a dramatically downturn for some reservation holders in 2020 (any restaurant owners out there?).
  • Tired of waiting and got a MY
  • As more details emerged, the MME just wasn't for some reservation holders
  • etc
TrueCar configurator is a bit wonky right now but below is what it says for their "default" MME config.

In my neck of the woods.

In 90210 (Beverly Hills):

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,195 Posts
I got mine seven weeks (at least) early because someone walked away from their order. Having said that, my dealer has sold every MACH-E that the original reservation/order person has declined in 24 to 48 hours after delivery.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So what is the number of MACH-e s ordered?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
So what is the number of MACH-e s ordered?
I don't think Ford will ever reveal. Also... some people who put down $500 deposit were probably speculators looking to turn a quick profit. Those guys and others who couldn't wait, found it too expensive... cancelled their reservation.

We can tell how "hot" a car is by days on the dealer lot. MME doesn't have significant enough volume to make the list below for Jan but I did read an article that indicated 4 days (crazy low). Maybe it'll be on the list for Feb but I don't think MMEs are sitting around dealer lots for long. Anecdotally, my dealer had a FE that the reservation holder cancelled. A guy drove 200 miles to purchase it.

Another way to ask the question... "How many MMEs is Ford building that are not for reservation holders at present?". If we look at the build dates for recent orders.... It won't be for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
I don’t think there are many non-order MMe being produced at this time. The production schedule is booked through May, and many are still waiting for a schedule date.

Then there is the upcoming GT, which Ford has already indicated production will run into 2022.

There are a lot of dealer FCTP demo units at the moment. This could mean that in 4 months/4000 miles, there may be a few thousand MMe available with a slight discount.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don’t think there are many non-order MMe being produced at this time. The production schedule is booked through May, and many are still waiting for a schedule date.

Then there is the upcoming GT, which Ford has already indicated production will run into 2022.

There are a lot of dealer FCTP demo units at the moment. This could mean that in 4 months/4000 miles, there may be a few thousand MMe available with a slight discount.
I'm going to be that guy...
I hope the US allocations for the MME are actually low for the next several years (reservation builds only) and MMEs are a rare sighting in the US.
I also hope that the MME does well and Ford builds a TON... which means the bulk of the builds end up in the UK, Europe...
Looking forward to the dealer offering a significant premium over our options plan residual after the term is over. 😁😁😁

1 - 20 of 53 Posts