Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, there has been minimal advertising and the sticker price can approach $60,000+, depending on battery size, drive train, and trim level. But there is that $7,500 federal tax credit. And the deposit is a refundable $500. Can you imagine all those hard working Ford employees on this project wondering and maybe worrying about how it will end up? It seems to me that my deposit is a heads I win, tails I don’t lose.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think it's important to remember that Ford is a brand that has never done this before. Ford buyers expect to buy a car when it's available at the dealership. Waiting just isn't a part of the process. The fact that Ford has managed to generate enough interest and excitement to generate 30k+ pre-orders is pretty impressive I think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's a possibility they might not ever say it sold out for one reason alone: ADM. If a car is sold out dealers will be way more likely to mark-up prices, if they keep people in the dark on amount of orders that could dissuade dealers from doing so. Tesla never said Model 3 or Model Y sold out, they just assume people know they'll have to wait for their car, sometimes more than a year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps. We are waiting a full year or more. The clock is always ticking so what is the difference if someone waits a full year starting now. It should be the same car and perhaps still a 2021. We also don’t know the battery supply constraints in calendar 2022.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I told my wife I wanted to get a first-year model she had one response (and I paraphrase for a family audience): "Are you crazy? Do you really want to buy the first model year that will have all kinds of problems?"

Methinks my wife is not alone in that reaction. Ford will eventually sell all the 2021's, but probably not until spring or summer of 2021

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I told my wife I wanted to get a first-year model she had one response (and I paraphrase for a family audience): "Are you crazy? Do you really want to buy the first model year that will have all kinds of problems?"

Methinks my wife is not alone in that reaction. Ford will eventually sell all the 2021's, but probably not until spring or summer of 2021
Yup, I hesitated for that .. but it's also the reason I'm leaning towards leasing it. Gives me an out in 3 year or so to get the refined model while still trying it out today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When the 2013 Ford Cmax came out, I thought it was a very nice hybrid. I wanted to order one but was talked out of ordering a first year model. Thank goodness I did, the 2013 Cmax had big problems with dead batteries. Many people were very upset with Ford. I did order the 2014, which I still have and never had a problem or dead battery. It was determined that the Cmax needed to be reprogramed to prevent the problem of dead batteries.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When the 2013 Ford Cmax came out, I thought it was a very nice hybrid. I wanted to order one but was talked out of ordering a first year model. Thank goodness I did, the 2013 Cmax had big problems with dead batteries. Many people were very upset with Ford. I did order the 2014, which I still have and never had a problem or dead battery. It was determined that the Cmax needed to be reprogramed to prevent the problem of dead batteries.
I have one; I'm the original owner. Had a few fit and finish problems but that was it. I stayed on the original battery for several years. (BTW for those who may not know, the dead battery issue was the 12-volt accessory battery, not the high voltage battery.)

I never had the issue. But I did end up with the common APIM issue where the radio would stop making sound which would drain the battery after a couple of days. Happens once or twice a year. I just have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset the module and all is well.

It's all anecdotal evidence. Have no ideas what the problem rate is, but I like the car very much (except the turning radius, that sucks).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would not be too concerned about Ford’s ability to deliver the first year Mach-E in a solid reliable vehicle.
In a lot of ways it is a much simpler design than say a Super Duty F250 with a much more complex
engine / transmission, pulling huge loads, they have been delivering by the millions.

Also, EV technology is not top secrete like SR-71 spy plane tech where you could not even get close enough to take a picture.
I am sure Ford has torn down every Tesla model and the latest Europe models down to the last bolt, nut and wire and gained
a lot of info on the good features and what to avoid / improve.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the main reason why some folks are still sceptical is due to poor launch of the explorer last year. I'm all in for the first gen MME btw. But ppl can't help feel worried when one of fomoco best vehicle has 4 recalls soon after launch and also 3 recalls on the Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
I think the main reason why some folks are still sceptical is due to poor launch of the explorer last year. I'm all in for the first gen MME btw. But ppl can't help feel worried when one of fomoco best vehicle has 4 recalls soon after launch and also 3 recalls on the Lincoln
I can understand the hesitation. A little information may help ease concern:

Ford did a $1 billion dollar plant upgrade on one of its oldest plants. The project hit renovation delays and then they rushed into production without a proper ramp-up. The recalls resulted from rushing the assembly, not product engineering (see NHTSA data on the recalls here). Ford has since resolved those issues.

Ford claims victory over 2020 Explorer launch issues

Ford has more than enough time to configure the Mexico plant, which is a much newer flexible manufacturing facility. The number of Mach E’s to be built is much lower than that of the Explorer. I’m optimistic that they aren’t about to make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure they will sell out if it meets all the required numbers and is advertised properly. It is an excellent vehicle and I bought stock at $8/share. Ford is going to have a home run with this one I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts