Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

Juicebox 40 amp with nema 14-50 plug

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  zvez 
#1 ·
SO a question for the charging experts. I'm currently using the ford portable charger with a nema 14-50 on a 50 amp breaker. Looking at the specs of the Juicebox 40, which has a number of wiring options. If I get the setup to use the existing 14-50 plug, will this still count as a Level 2 charger. The reason for asking is I'd get a small amount back from the federal tax credit (up to $1k for installation costs, but it's only a fraction of that). And also my power company offers a $250 rebate for a level 2 installation.

#2 ·
SO a question for the charging experts. I'm currently using the ford portable charger with a nema 14-50 on a 50 amp breaker. Looking at the specs of the Juicebox 40, which has a number of wiring options. If I get the setup to use the existing 14-50 plug, will this still count as a Level 2 charger. The reason for asking is I'd get a small amount back from the federal tax credit (up to $1k for installation costs, but it's only a fraction of that). And also my power company offers a $250 rebate for a level 2 installation.
Yes that is still Level 2 charging.

#3 ·
Yep, 240 volts and 40 amps is L 2. I installed a Juice Box 40 plug in unit in 2020 so deducted the cost on Form 8911 for my 2020 taxes. You get a 30% deduction of the unit and install cost. (Subject to the $1000 cost/install limit). The Juice Box is a great unit. I do not use the scheduling and it runs at 39.5 amps. It will get my Mach E from 20% to 100% in 7.5 hrs which is more than sufficient for my needs. The app keeps a log of your kwh in your charge sessions plus your lifetime total kwh in case you like to break out your ev costs. Set the maximum battery charge limit in the car, not the JB app.

#4 ·
Yep, 240 volts and 40 amps is L 2. I installed a Juice Box 40 plug in unit in 2020 so deducted the cost on Form 8911 for my 2020 taxes. You get a 30% deduction of the unit and install cost. (Subject to the $1000 cost/install limit). The Juice Box is a great unit. I do not use the scheduling and it runs at 39.5 amps. It will get my Mach E from 20% to 100% in 7.5 hrs which is more than sufficient for my needs. The app keeps a log of your kwh in your charge sessions plus your lifetime total kwh in case you like to break out your ev costs. Set the maximum battery charge limit in the car, not the JB app.

If I already have the 14-50 40 Amp plug/circuit do I need to have anyone install this or do I just plug it in to the outlet when it arrives? Assuming I buy that configuration? It says on site I need a qualified electrician which I used for the original plug. I have the option for making it a 50 amp. Does that make a difference with this charger?

Sorry screwed up with my reply placement. Doesn't seem to let me fix it:-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.