Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received and installed the Juicebox 40 today ... now I just need a Mach E attach it to!

Does anyone know what the charge per hour rate will be? I know Ford referenced 22 mph charging with a 220 outlet but I’m hoping the Juicebox will achieve more since it’s a 40amp charger.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got mine yesterday and a little nervous plugging it into my NEMA dryer outlet since its never been used. We all use Gas dryers in California but this house was built in 1978. Did you have any issues?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The miles of charge per hour is not my favorite metric as your consumption changes based on how you drive and if you are using HVAC.

The epa rating for the Mustang is 3.4 miles per kWh. If your juice box is going at the full 40A and you have 240v power hooked up to it, you will be able to charge at 9.6 kW. Assuming 100% charging efficiency for easy math, you will add 9.6 kWh each hour. At 3.4 mpkWh that’s 32.64 miles an hour.
I’ve got the JuiceBox 40 classic but throttled to only 24A as it’s on a 30A circuit. Will have to get that upgraded soon.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mustang Mach-E Star White RWD/ER Premium
2,127 Posts
I got mine yesterday and a little nervous plugging it into my NEMA dryer outlet since its never been used. We all use Gas dryers in California but this house was built in 1978. Did you have any issues?
None, it's great been using it for several months

·
Registered
277 Posts
I got a Juice Box 40 but have not installed it yet. Some items you need to consider or verify. A dryer circuit is normally 30 amps.
What amp rating is your circuit rated for, i.e. what size circuit breaker is on the circuit?
What is your wire size, e.g. AWG 10 or AWG 8? Wire size determines the maximum circuit breaker that can be installed. Smaller number is a bigger wire.
Plug receptacle style is determined the circuit amps. 30, 40, and 50 amp receptacles and plug styles are different. You are limited to running at 80% of max rating for continuous service so wiring does not build up heat.
What plug style does your Juice box have? Mine has a NEMA 14-50 as does the Ford Mobile charger. There are sites on the internet that have pictures of all NEMA style plugs.
See if you need to get a plug adapter in order to use the Juice Box or Ford mobile charger on your existing circuit. I am sure the Juice box can be set to limit the maximum current to that allowed by the circuit. I'm not sure how the Ford charger does this.

Answering these questions should let you know how to use your existing circuit. Most likely the most difficult item to upgrade your circuit would be to change the wiring, depending on the current routing of the wires. Plug, receptacles, and circuit breaker sizes are all determined based on the wiring size. It is not complicated, but for safety reasons you need to follow the rules. It should not matter if the circuit has not been used if it was installed correctly in 1978.

Hopefully this gives you a heads up to get this set up before you get your Mach E. My Premium production is scheduled for the week of Jan 24th, so I have until late Feb to finish my circuit. I am using a 50 amp circuit breaker, #6 AWG wire and a NEMA-50 plug receptacle. My electrical panel is in the garage so my routing is quite short and uncomplicated. A friend that is a electrician would be good to have now. Hopefully it works out for you. I am starting to get excited as this is my first EV and I have been waiting a whole damn year for this!

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I got a Juice Box 40 but have not installed it yet. Some items you need to consider or verify. A dryer circuit is normally 30 amps.
What amp rating is your circuit rated for, i.e. what size circuit breaker is on the circuit?
What is your wire size, e.g. AWG 10 or AWG 8? Wire size determines the maximum circuit breaker that can be installed. Smaller number is a bigger wire.
Plug receptacle style is determined the circuit amps. 30, 40, and 50 amp receptacles and plug styles are different. You are limited to running at 80% of max rating for continuous service so wiring does not build up heat.
What plug style does your Juice box have? Mine has a NEMA 14-50 as does the Ford Mobile charger. There are sites on the internet that have pictures of all NEMA style plugs.
See if you need to get a plug adapter in order to use the Juice Box or Ford mobile charger on your existing circuit. I am sure the Juice box can be set to limit the maximum current to that allowed by the circuit. I'm not sure how the Ford charger does this.

Answering these questions should let you know how to use your existing circuit. Most likely the most difficult item to upgrade your circuit would be to change the wiring, depending on the current routing of the wires. Plug, receptacles, and circuit breaker sizes are all determined based on the wiring size. It is not complicated, but for safety reasons you need to follow the rules. It should not matter if the circuit has not been used if it was installed correctly in 1978.

Hopefully this gives you a heads up to get this set up before you get your Mach E. My Premium production is scheduled for the week of Jan 24th, so I have until late Feb to finish my circuit. I am using a 50 amp circuit breaker, #6 AWG wire and a NEMA-50 plug receptacle. My electrical panel is in the garage so my routing is quite short and uncomplicated. A friend that is a electrician would be good to have now. Hopefully it works out for you. I am starting to get excited as this is my first EV and I have been waiting a whole damn year for this!
I went with a 50 Amp, #6AWG, and a NEMA 14-50. I was very fortunate that my breaker box is in the laundry room and approximately a 12-15 ft. run to the garage wall, since wiring can get expensive if it has to be run a long distance.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I went with a 50 Amp, #6AWG, and a NEMA 14-50. I was very fortunate that my breaker box is in the laundry room and approximately a 12-15 ft. run to the garage wall, since wiring can get expensive if it has to be run a long distance.
In most places the derating requirement is 25% over the rated load. So for a 40A EV charger, 25% is 10A so a 50A circuit is required.

Some localities though have funky electric code. Chicago I recall had line cord length and other requirements because a cow kicked over a lantern 150 years ago.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My breaker box is about as far away from where I wanted my charger as you can get and still be in my house, but luckily it's a ranch. Had to pay a bit more for the wire but the installation was a breeze. Through the basement, over the garage and down.

(FWIW I installed a Chargepoint Flex on a 50A circuit)

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Just a reminder, the Federal tax break on purchase and installation of a 'charging' station and necessary breaker and line expires in 23 days. If memory serves it's 30% of the cost up to $1000.

·
Registered
Premium RWD SR Black
73 Posts
Just a question - Why get a WiFi enabled charger when the car itself is WiFi enabled? You can check on the car's charge via the Ford app in your phone, right?

I'll be installing my charger on the exterior of my house and since I live in MA where we get some cold nights this time of year I was planning on getting the Grizzl-e with the 24' premium cable.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a question - Why get a WiFi enabled charger when the car itself is WiFi enabled? You can check on the car's charge via the Ford app in your phone, right?

I'll be installing my charger on the exterior of my house and since I live in MA where we get some cold nights this time of year I was planning on getting the Grizzl-e with the 24' premium cable.
I chose the JuiceBox because my local utility offers nearly a full rebate. From what I understand, it will also be easier to configure to charge during off-peak times (lower kWh rate).

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I chose the JuiceBox because my local utility offers nearly a full rebate. From what I understand, it will also be easier to configure to charge during off-peak times (lower kWh rate).
Simple process, I have mine set to remind me to plug in and to turn on at 2200 hrs. which is when Nevada Power goes to the EV rates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The miles of charge per hour is not my favorite metric as your consumption changes based on how you drive and if you are using HVAC.

The epa rating for the Mustang is 3.4 miles per kWh. If your juice box is going at the full 40A and you have 240v power hooked up to it, you will be able to charge at 9.6 kW. Assuming 100% charging efficiency for easy math, you will add 9.6 kWh each hour. At 3.4 mpkWh that’s 32.64 miles an hour.
I’ve got the JuiceBox 40 classic but throttled to only 24A as it’s on a 30A circuit. Will have to get that upgraded soon.

I have had a Juicebox 40 for about a year now. Installed it with #6 wire, 50A breaker, and NEMA 14-50. Wire run is about 25'.

Has worked perfectly with the Chevy Bolt.

Tbier's math is great, except for the 100% efficiency part. No EVSE operates at 100%. I am guessing the charge rate will be a little less at approx 31 miles per hour.

Basically, if the extended range battery is at zero, it will probably take 9.5 hours to fully charge the battery. But how often will anyone completely drain the battery?

So if you plug in when you get home for the night, it will be fully charged and ready to go the next morning!

You made two great choices - Mach-E & Juicebox 40!

Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have had a Juicebox 40 for about a year now. Installed it with #6 wire, 50A breaker, and NEMA 14-50. Wire run is about 25'.

Has worked perfectly with the Chevy Bolt.

Tbier's math is great, except for the 100% efficiency part. No EVSE operates at 100%. I am guessing the charge rate will be a little less at approx 31 miles per hour.

Basically, if the extended range battery is at zero, it will probably take 9.5 hours to fully charge the battery. But how often will anyone completely drain the battery?

So if you plug in when you get home for the night, it will be fully charged and ready to go the next morning!

You made two great choices - Mach-E & Juicebox 40!

Jim
For battery health they recommended an 80% SOC; how long for that?

·
Registered
164 Posts

Mine is currently in production and I hope to get it by the end of the year. Not because I am getting impatient ;-) but mostly because I want to take advantage of rebates expiring 12/31 and use the tax credit when I do 2020 taxes.

My 30A outlet had no power. I bought a new one and tested all the wires but it was still dead so I called an electrician who installed a new Quad 30/20 breaker because the one in the can box wasn't hooked up and the wires were incorrectly stripped. He charged $189 (including the new breaker) and it works now and all I need to do is put it on the wall.

I'm a little paranoid to know I have aluminum wiring but that means this large neighborhood of tract homes built in 1974 all have the same wiring even though they don't look like they were built in the 70's My previous house was built in 1972 and also had aluminum wires so it was common in this area. My box is rated for 240 volts but the main breaker is 100amps and he said it should be upgraded to 200 Amps and can do panel upgrade for $4300. 😲

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just a reminder, the Federal tax break on purchase and installation of a 'charging' station and necessary breaker and line expires in 23 days. If memory serves it's 30% of the cost up to $1000.
I tried to apply to receive $250 back on the Juicebox and had all the paperwork except for the car registration which was required. Has anyone been able to get a rebate WITHOUT having the car yet?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts