Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
" J.D. Power asked “more than 8,500 consumers and industry experts” about electric cars and discovered 69 percent of them in the US (68 percent in Canada) have never even been in one, and 62 percent of them would never buy an EV. That shows a lack of knowledge hinders adoption."

I never realized that so many people never were in an EV or even considered buying one.

Anyone here actively sharing the EV experience with family and friends?

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
" J.D. Power asked “more than 8,500 consumers and industry experts” about electric cars and discovered 69 percent of them in the US (68 percent in Canada) have never even been in one, and 62 percent of them would never buy an EV. That shows a lack of knowledge hinders adoption."

I never realized that so many people never were in an EV or even considered buying one.

I don’t have a BEV yet, but I will gladly discuss with anyone who will listen to my research.

·
Registered
Model 3 -> Mach-E First Edition
89 Posts

Everyone who has sat in my Tesla has come away wanting a BEV.

Without that experience, people don't get that EVs have so many advantages - they just see "costs more to buy."

I maintain the biggest thing that sells EVs is getting butts into seats.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
872 Posts

Without that experience, people don't get that EVs have so many advantages - they just see "costs more to buy."

Range and price:

Repeat:

Range and price

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts

You are right. The brief 10-min ride-along we had, during the MMe preview tour on October 19, help convince my wife that this was not just a fancy hybrid.

She was surprised at the amount of power and torque it has. Coming from a Tesla, thats old-hat for you.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yeah paying $10k more immediately discourages a lot of people from buying an EV. In Europe the market is ripe for much cheaper EV's and Ford is working on a baby Mach-E to compete in that space. Tesla is also planning on a smaller and cheaper city car.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yeah paying $10k more immediately discourages a lot of people from buying an EV. In Europe the market is ripe for much cheaper EV's and Ford is working on a baby Mach-E to compete in that space. Tesla is also planning on a smaller and cheaper city car.
Also the subsidies for EV's in Europe, depending on the country are quite significant.

Just check out France for example.

After these subsidies the purchase price of an EV may be the same or cheaper than an ICE and of course the cost of gasoline in Europe is two to three times as high as here in the States.

see: https://wallbox.com/en_us/guide-to-ev-incentives-europe#France

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Also the subsidies for EV's in Europe, depending on the country are quite significant.

After these subsidies the purchase price of an EV may be the same or cheaper than an ICE and of course the cost of gasoline in Europe is two to three times as high as here in the States.

Also, geographic differences allow for lower range EVs to be used in the EU. Many buy city cars, and rent for any long-distance traveling.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That would explain why Europe has the strongest EV market along with China. Within that, it gets even more interesting when you look at countries like Norway where EV adoption is the highest worldwide!

"Norway leads electric vehicle (EV) adoption, boasting the highest share of new EV purchases worldwide. In the last five months, zero-emission vehicles have made up over 50% of its overall car sales, up from 31.2% in 2018 and 42.4% in 2019"

·
Registered
4 Posts

I'm curious about the highway driving acceleration. I've heard on many youtube reviews that once you get to about 80 or so the car loses oomph. With The crazy Florida driving, I think that could be quite dangerous. I'm curious and interested but there's few around to try and test drive.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm curious about the highway driving acceleration. I've heard on many youtube reviews that once you get to about 80 or so the car loses oomph. With The crazy Florida driving, I think that could be quite dangerous. I'm curious and interested but there's few around to try and test drive.
The MME might not be for you: Top speed is limited to 116 mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The MME might not be for you: Top speed is limited to 116 mph.
Not looking to race I mean if you're driving at Florida highway speeds 70-80 are you still have to pass or get around people or is the accelerator a little flat at higher speeds?

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
Not looking to race I mean if you're driving at Florida highway speeds 70-80 are you still have to pass or get around people or is the accelerator a little flat at higher speeds?
While the torque is pretty much instantaneous, most EV max power-bands are in the 40-75 mph zone. This doesn’t mean the power immediately stops, it tapers down towards its max speed. This drop in HP is similar to ICE vehicles at high RPM. It should have enough oomph to pass at highway speeds.

We have to wait for actual test drives to see if it meets our individual expectations.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While the torque is pretty much instantaneous, most EV max power-bands are in the 40-75 mph zone. This doesn’t mean the power immediately stops, it tapers down towards its max speed. This drop in HP is similar to ICE vehicles at high RPM. It should have enough oomph to pass at highway speeds.

We have to wait for actual test drives to see if it meets our individual expectations.
The new Tesla Roadster will be a great example of how extreme the power-bands can get. For that we'll have to wait for 2022-2023. Around that time an electric Mustang coupe is said to come out and provide us some more mainstream numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks good to know!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts